Visiting Doc Watson's Travelin Man - Mp3, Videos

Started by LittleBrother, May 31, 2005, 11:08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLATPICKERS, STRUMMERS, FINGERPICKERS ALL WELCOME!
I posted this study over on APM Forum and I am hoping to draw some players into this song and study. You may want to respond and work it here or on the APM forum. I will try to check back to answer questions best I can. Click to visit APM Thread on this same topic

BEGIN:

Goal: Strum these chords along with Doc Watson's performance. Master the chords and changes and learn to fingerpick it later.[/i]

I really find this song fascinating because Doc puts such a bouncy swing to it. It's classic Doc Watson. This tune uses chords I play all the time in many other C country blues and ragtime songs. In this case he has a capo on the 3rd fret. So when you play a C chord shape it's actually making a E flat chord sound. What I found fun was just strumming the chords along while Doc fingerpicks the song. I still have a strong belief that you must master the chords and changes before moving into the fingerpicking aspect of the song. YMMV.

I'm hoping this thread might become a sort of group study. If anyone wants to talk about this song, learn or explore the details of Doc's style and the arrangement maybe we can all become a little better. I hope many NON fingerpicking folks will take a jump into this song and strum the chords. You can also use your thumb and bare fingers to strum. Whatever works best for you. I just want to master the chords first. I may be subject to corrections since I just picked this one out by ear today for entertainment only. This is only for study purposes.

Click to Play MP3 sample of Doc Watson's performance (low quality) size 1.6mb

Click to Play Video of me explaining the chord sequence strumming version - size 5mb (WMV)

Click to Play Video of me slowly and roughly fingerpicking the song my way size 2.8mb (WMV)

CAPO on 3rd Fret![/i]

6-5-4-3-2-1 ---- string #
----------------
SEQUENCE USED AS INTRO AND TURNAROUND
x-6-5-3-4-3  C shape
4-X-6-5-4-4   F shape
4-x-6-5-6-4   F shape with pinky added 2nd string
x-6-5-3-4-3  C shape
x-3-5-5-5-6   A7 shape
5-x-3-5-4-5   D7 shape with bass thumb wrapped over (optional)
6-5-3-3-3-4   G7 shape
x-6-5-3-4-3  C shape

SEQUENCE USED FOR VERSE and TURNAROUND INCLUDED AT END
x-6-5-3-4-3  C shape
x-6-5-6-4-3  C7 shape
4-X-6-5-4-4   F shape
x-6-5-3-4-3  C shape
x-6-5-3-4-3  C shape 4 more beats
x-3-5-5-4-3  Am shape
6-5-3-3-3-4   G7 shape
x-6-5-3-4-3  C shape
x-6-5-6-4-3  C7 shape
4-X-6-5-4-4   F shape
x-6-5-3-4-3  C shape

turnaround again
4-X-6-5-4-4   F shape
x-6-5-3-4-3  C shape
x-3-5-5-5-6   A7 shape
6-5-3-3-3-4   G7 shape
x-6-5-3-4-3  C shape

=========================================
==============
LYRICS with emphasis on where chord changes are locating

Now (C) folks let me tell you bout a (C7)travelin man his (F)home was down in Tenne(C)ssee
(C)He made his livin stealin (Am)chickens and (D7)everything else he could (G7)see
(C)One day the sheriff got behind(C7) that boy... (F)made him take to the (C)road
Aint (F)never been a passenger (C)train that run so (A7)fast that (D7) Joe couldn't (G7)get on(C)board

(C)Travelin (C7)Man Oh Lawd he (F)musta been a Travelin (C)Man
(C)Travelin (Am)Rambalin Man He was the (D7)swiftest in the (G7)Land
(C)Gambalin (C7)Rambalin Joe They (F)knowed him in every (C)town
He (F)wouldn't stay put no he (C)wouldn't give (A7)up and I (D7)guess he never (G7)settled (C)down

They sent that feller to the spring one day fer ta fetch a pail a water
The distance from the spring to the house it was 16 miles and a quarter
He got the bucket of water alright but stumped his toe as he fell down
He went to the house and he got another bucket caught the water fore it hit the ground

Travelin Man Oh Lawd he musta been a Travelin Man
Travelin Rambalin Man He was the swiftest in the Land
Gambalin Rambalin Joe They knowed him in every town
He wouldn't stay put no he wouldn't give up and I guess he never settled down

He hoboed the great Titanic thought he travel the ocean blue
And when he seen that ice berg acoming right offa that ole boat he flew
The rest of the passengers they hollered and laughed said lookey what a great big fool
But while that boat was a sinking Joe was shootin crap in Liverpool

Check out my new blues site WEB SITE with free acoustic blues lesson videos and more.

Great stuff, LB!  I'm gonna try to do this along with you.
Jerry  #698

2001 Larrivee D-09
2001 Seagull M-6
1992 Alvarez 5040
c. 1995 Yamaha CG-150CA
1998 A&L Ami

Very nice - what a great tune!  LB, I've got the video of Doc playing this tune.  I've wanted to try it out for a while now, but I've had other tunes to work out first.  Thanks for posting this lesson, it's definitely got me motivated to get "on board" with Travelin Man!!

UPDATE!

Thanks for all the input, emails etc. Added the E7 I was missing and some other corrections in the sequences of chords. I think this one is more correct. Also used a "0" to indicate where the capo holds the 3rd fret to make the chords easier to read. Any other requests or suggestions just let me know. I hope everyone that likes the tune will try to learn these chords. Play it without a capo too.

====================
UPDATED VERSION BELOW

Click to Play Video of me explaining the chord sequence strumming version - size 5mb (WMV)

Click to Play Video of me slowly and roughly fingerpicking the song my way size 2.8mb (WMV)

CAPO on 3rd Fret![/i]

----------------
x-6-5-0-4-0  C shape
4-X-6-5-4-4   F shape
x-6-5-0-4-0  C shape
x-0-5-5-5-6   A7 shape
5-x-0-5-4-5   D7 shape with bass thumb wrapped over (optional)
6-5-0-0-0-4   G7 shape
x-6-5-0-4-0  C shape

SEQUENCE USED FOR VERSE and CHORUS just do the turnaround at the end to complete it.

x-6-5-0-4-0  C shape
x-6-5-6-4-0  C7 shape
4-X-6-5-4-4   F shape
x-6-5-0-4-0  C shape
x-6-5-0-4-0  C shape 4 more beats
x-0-5-5-4-0  Am shape
6-5-0-0-0-4   G7 shape
x-6-5-0-4-0  C shape
x-6-5-6-4-0  C7 shape
4-X-6-5-4-4   F shape
0-5-5-4-6-0   E7

turnaround again
4-X-6-5-4-4   F shape
x-6-5-0-4-0  C shape
x-0-5-5-5-6   A7 shape
6-5-0-0-0-4   G7 shape
x-6-5-0-4-0  C shape

==============

Now (C) folks let me tell you bout a (C7)travelin man his (F)home was down in Tenne(C)ssee
(C)He made his livin stealin (Am)chickens and (D7)everything else he could (G7)see
(C)One day the sheriff got behind(C7) that boy... (F)made him take to the (E7)road
Aint (F)never been a passenger (C)train that run so (A7)fast that (D7) Joe couldn't (G7)get on(C)board

(C)Gambalin (C7)Rambalin Joe They (F)knowed him in every (E7)town
He (F)wouldn't stay put no he (C)wouldn't give (A7)up and I (D7)guess he never (G7)settled (C)down

He went to the house and he got another bucket caught the water fore it hit the ground

The rest of the passengers they hollered and laughed said lookey what a great big fool

Check out my new blues site WEB SITE with free acoustic blues lesson videos and more.

Great work LB. You are very generous with your time and talent.

I have a comment. I think that it would be easier for most if the chord numbering was relative to the capo position. For example, show the C chord as: X-3-2-0-1-0 This will make it easy to play in any capo (or without a capo) position. As it is written now I found myself doing a lot of mental math trying to remember that the 6 was actually a 3 (realtive to the capo) and the 0 was actually a 0 (relative to the capo) but on the 3rd fret etc. Why it's enuf to give a poor boy the blues :blink:

Again, I really appreciate your generosity of time and committment to the guitar playing community.

Big thumbs up to you and APM!
Ron

Thanks so much Ron. It means alot for the feedback and kind words. I really feel like I dont have a handle on how many people really get these lessons. I'd like to think I can help hundreds with the power of the web but I am not quite sure how many people really try these other than a regular few folks like yourself. So if folks try it please report your progress and that you are trying it. That way I know I am on a good track. One more follow up video on this one to include the corrections to the chords. Please just let me know your feedback on how YOU are playing this and any progress. Thanks for taking part in this little study.

Click to Play Video of simple strumming through chord changes and singing along. Includes the E7 chord

UPDATED STUFF BELOW with Ron and everyones suggestions :)

Thanks for all the input, emails etc. Added the E7 I was missing and some other corrections in the sequences of chords. I think this one is more correct. Also used a "0" to indicate where the capo holds the 3rd fret to make the chords easier to read. Any other requests or suggestions just let me know. I hope everyone that likes the tune will try to learn these chords. Play it without a capo too.

====================
UPDATED VERSION BELOW

CAPO on 3rd Fret![/i]

----------------
x-6-5-0-4-0  C shape
4-X-6-5-4-4   F shape
x-6-5-0-4-0  C shape
x-0-5-5-5-6   A7 shape
6-5-0-0-0-4   G7 shape
x-6-5-0-4-0  C shape

SEQUENCE USED FOR VERSE and CHORUS just do the turnaround at the end to complete it.

x-6-5-0-4-0  C shape
x-6-5-6-4-0  C7 shape
4-X-6-5-4-4   F shape
x-6-5-0-4-0  C shape
x-6-5-0-4-0  C shape 4 more beats
x-0-5-5-4-0  Am shape
6-5-0-0-0-4   G7 shape
x-6-5-0-4-0  C shape
x-6-5-6-4-0  C7 shape
4-X-6-5-4-4   F shape
0-5-5-4-6-0   E7

turnaround again
4-X-6-5-4-4   F shape
x-6-5-0-4-0  C shape
x-0-5-5-5-6   A7 shape
6-5-0-0-0-4   G7 shape
x-6-5-0-4-0  C shape

==============

(C)One day the sheriff got behind(C7) that boy... (F)made him take to the (E7)road

(C)Gambalin (C7)Rambalin Joe They (F)knowed him in every (E7)town

LittleBrother, thanks for your time, talent, and use of this website to bring this to us.

I can play that chord progression cleanly while blindfolded (stumming). That is basic, easy, and simple for me. I'm far enough along as a player to do that as well as sixth string root and fifth string root barre chords and some flatpicking stuff (drills, scales, and songs like "Arkansas Traveler", etc.)

My problem comes in with fingerpicking. That is where my playing is lacking. That's my weakpoint in having a well rounded playing style. Any advice for someone like me to "kickstart" my lack of fingerpicking. I know - practice, practice but I just seem to stay away from that style. It seems so hard to find a comfort zone for me. I know it will help all aspects of my playing to improve in that area.

Tell me somethin'.      

QuoteGreat work LB. You are very generous with your time and talent.

I have a comment. I think that it would be easier for most if the chord numbering was relative to the capo position. For example, show the C chord as: X-3-2-0-1-0 This will make it easy to play in any capo (or without a capo) position. As it is written now I found myself doing a lot of mental math trying to remember that the 6 was actually a 3 (realtive to the capo) and the 0 was actually a 0 (relative to the capo) but on the 3rd fret etc. Why it's enuf to give a poor boy the blues :blink:

Again, I really appreciate your generosity of time and committment to the guitar playing community.

Big thumbs up to you and APM!
HI LB,

Since you so generously accept comments, I am going to push you a little more on this :)

Have a look again at my numbering suggestion. I think it would be easier if you just showed the normal fingering pattern for each chord, regardless of where you have placed the capo. "For example, show the C chord as: X-3-2-0-1-0 "

Maybe it's just the way I am looking at it....

Thanks again for being so generous.
Ron

I'll agree with ronmac on the fret numbering. I think you should do the numbering relative to the capo.
L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster

I just have to say THANK YOU!

THis is so generous of you.  I have learned more about this style of music this weekend that I ever have before.

..and I am positively loving it!  THANKS!   :ph34r:
Larrivee D-03 Custom 1.75" nut, Bearclaw top, Upgrade level mahogany b/s  (Trinity Guitars Custom)
Larrivee 000-50
Guild F-30 Aragon Sunburst (Tacoma built, Adirondack top)
Gibson L-130

This is really cool LB.  I love working on Doc Watons tunes.  I have been working on the chords and starting to add the bass notes.  Just watched you video on the fingerpicking part and will be working on some of the details of the melody.  Thanks for you input on this.   Who else is working on this?

Also, I have tried to record some of this and it always sounds like I am in a tunnel.   I am using a Shure 57 into am M-Audioi Solo into a Mac.  I have tried GarageBand and Traction and get the same results.  If I use an eq to roll off on the bass if helps.  Is that the answer, reducing the bass?

Having fun with this one, thanks LB
Wade

Alices restaurant:

C-A7-D7-G6(7?)-C

C- A7- D7- G

C-C7-F-D7

C-A7-D7-G6(7?)-C

close?

now how many decades earlier did Doc Watson do Travelin Man?
Larrivee D-03 Custom 1.75" nut, Bearclaw top, Upgrade level mahogany b/s  (Trinity Guitars Custom)
Larrivee 000-50
Guild F-30 Aragon Sunburst (Tacoma built, Adirondack top)
Gibson L-130

Thanks everyone. I will try to address a few questions. As far as beginning fingerpicking this song you have to take each chord, then decide what bass pattern you might adhere to for each chord, then figure the thumb goes DOWN and the foot goes DOWN and the thumb goes UP on the upbeats and so does the foot. These two things together seem to outvote most body parts into keeping the beat easier. Then map out which high notes will be picked on the downbeats and upbeats. Then its a matter of just thinking about every half a beat. Alot of the upbeats are going to be little notes, accents, upstrokes, and the bass almost never varies from the solid definite and easy to understand pattern. Mute the bass strings a little and then try to LISTEN and adjust your sound without actually looking down. Play in the dark in the evenings and just relax and hit the thumb 1-2-3-4 and try to fit notes onto the down and upbeats. Dont try to make it some type of genius thinking. It's really a series of notes one half click at a time. You just have to get the slow solid beat going and map out which 1,2,3 or 4 notes are usually being hit on each little point in time. Sooner or later it becomes smooth and you start "getting it" and guitar playing forever changes. I love the fact that I can choose between fingerpicking and flatpicking or hybrid anytime I want. So flatpicking and strumming are great but having all 3 tools is even better.

Thanks for all the other suggestions. I will try to implement them and that info is EXACTLY the type of feedback I like.

Doug LB

P.S. I have some other things in the works that should be alot better thanks to your feedback.

Thanks LittleBrother. I may just put my pick in my pocket for a while (at times anyway) and make a real effort to kickstart my fingerpicking. I know I will be a much more complete player and will enjoy playing more. If my fingerpicking could catch up to my flatpicking my overall playing ability would jump about seven plateaus. I guess I will start spending some time in the dark with a metronome. Slow and simple.

Quote from: 12barBill on June 17, 2005, 07:57:59 AM
Thanks LittleBrother. I may just put my pick in my pocket for a while (at times anyway) and make a real effort to kickstart my fingerpicking. I know I will be a much more complete player and will enjoy playing more. If my fingerpicking could catch up to my flatpicking my overall playing ability would jump about seven plateaus. I guess I will start spending some time in the dark with a metronome. Slow and simple.

Yeah just keep pressure on it. I found that most of my alternating bass flatpicking tricks all feathered directly into my fingerpicking. Once I got a real handle on the mechanics it all starting working easier and easier. It did take some years though but you GOTTA keep trying because the reward is a lifetime of fun and enjoyment of many picking styles which in my opinion makes one a better player or at least versatile. If you ever need any advice let me know

LB