Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pick Up Recommendation  (Read 5863 times)
Bkinley

Ignore
« on: June 09, 2005, 05:53:23 PM »

Hey Guys,
I am going to start playing for the worship band at my church and need some kind of pickup for my Martin OM-21.  There are drums, an electric guitarist, Bass, Choir and Keyboards, I will be playing mostly Rhythym, strumming and occasional Fingerstyle through a PA.  The couple of stores I have spoken with have reccomended the Fishman Matrix I but most of the reviews I have read of them have been pretty bad. Any insight would be much appreciated!
Thanks
       Brian

Larrivee OM-50
Martin J-1
mdrulez

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 06:16:18 PM »

I would have to agree with the fishman...I regret getting it.

Most people rave about the K&K Pure Western pickup

Also, the L.R. Baggs iBeam is really good for smaller bodied guitars.

Depending on the store, I wouldn't go for what they tell you, as most stores cater to rock-style artists who need a high-volume/non-feedback pickup, such as the Fishman.  I got this recommendation and installed a Fishman, but I'm thinking about changing to an ibeam dual source or K&K once I get some money.

Make sure to get an active pickup, and perhaps an L.R. Baggs preamp,  as it will help cut through that band mix and cut potential feedback. 
Check out Shoreline Music, they have a large selection of pickups and pretty good prices as well:

http://www.shorelinemusic.com/

Anyways, good luck! and Praise God!

Larrivee OM-O3R (K&K Mini Passive)
Fender Telecaster Butterscotch Blode
el guitana
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 06:50:43 PM »

Depends on how loud the setting is - the K & K sounds so much better to me, but the Fishman holds out against feedback very well.
dbirchett
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 07:18:54 PM »

The Baggs and K&K seem to be great systems. Check out the Dean Markleys as well. I love 'em.

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP crying
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi
GTR Florentine Special
drathbun
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 03:58:16 AM »

I've got two iBeams, one in my L05 and one in my Yamaha FG720-12 string. I love 'em both. None of that quacky UST sound. I've purchased a Dean Markley Tahoe soundhole mag pickup that I'm putting in my Yamaha FG150, but I haven't received it yet.

2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La
HangFire
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 04:08:33 AM »

I've got K&K Pure Western going through my Mackie system, sounds great!

2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2
sublro

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 07:05:41 PM »

if you're going to be in loud situations, and by that I mean almost anything with a rythm section, you may have feedback problems with most types of transducers.

there's a new magnetic pickup that's getting great reviews. The LR Baggs M-1. I'd check that out. It comes in an active and passive (i.e. with or without built-in pre-amp) versions

http://www.lrbaggs.com/html/products/pickups_m1-active.shtml

Rob 

Larrivee OM-03R
Art & Lutherie Cedar/cherry Parlor (the best 200-dollar guitars in the world, made in Canada by real guitar craftspeople) :-)
Click to Read About Art & Lutherie Guitars
Peavey Generation EXP
dreamsinger

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2005, 06:02:41 PM »

Another vote for K&K. I used to use a PUTW #54 dual sourced with Joe Mills internal mic and the K&K by itself  is *far* superior.

Dreamsinger
*very* unusual Custom Shop OMV-09K
JV-05-12 (sold June '05)
Hotrodded D-02
Restored '64 Framus 12
World's best Strat
McAlister 12 fret 00 cutaway in work (taking delivery at Healdsburg)
LKSM with K&K p/u and ebony buttons on order
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2005, 09:59:50 PM »

Another vote for K&K.  I'm playing in a trio now with upright bass and a drummer.  I have had no feedback problems whatsoever.  It sounds GREAT, and I aways get good comments on my tone.  B-Bands UST/AST combo is also excellent, but more pricey.

I posted a clip of my OM-05MT with K&K direct somewhere on this forum.  Do a search on Busted Bicycle, and you'll find it.

David

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
bing4sons
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2005, 10:09:49 PM »

Personally, for playing in a worship band setup, I like either the B-Band A2.2 or the LR Baggs iMix.  They both combine a UST and AST pickup system.  They are very versatile in that you can blend between the UST and AST to get the most natural sound, while avoiding feedback.

I don't know if it's just a bad installation, but I find my K&K too mid rangey for me.

Bing

Larrivee J-09FM
Taylor 814ce
Music Man Axis SS w/piezo
uncleshish

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2005, 12:55:46 AM »

Personally, I have been most pleased with the Baggs iMix system. I have it installed on both my 6 & 12 string Taylors and absolutely love it.
It is the best thing I have ever used in a live setting. It mixes the best of both worlds with the iBeam and the Element with a volume control plus a mix control.
The iBeam is a wonderful pickup for solo work by itself, but playing with a band you may find that the bass and drums could cause the iBeam by itself to feedback. No problem simply rotate the dial more towards the Element.
The best thing is that it does not permanently alter your guitar whatsoever except perhaps at the endpin. I'm not sure about Martins, but Taylors endpins are already pre-drilled to accept the input jack.

By the way, nice little OM you have there. I've been seriously looking at adding a Martin OM to my small stable -_-

Zach
Admin

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2005, 04:31:54 PM »

I vote K&K too, as usual.  Maybe the PowerBlend Pure system (I want to try the new PowerBlend Trinity).  I will say that I used the regular Pure Western pickup through a PADI and never had a feedback problem, even at fairly loud levels.

Zach
parsky1

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2005, 07:54:43 PM »

Vote for the Imix also, the Ibeam is a great solo pickup, it will pick up all the rythmic taps much better than the UST, but it is more suseptable to feedback.  Usually when I play with the full band I turn it all the way to the UST and use a feedback buster, which probably isnt' necessary.

05 Larrivee LV-05 (L.R. Baggs Imix)
03 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24
99 Fender DG-24 MA
Mesa Boogie Road King II Head & Mesa Road King 2x12 Cab
Escalibore

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2005, 12:52:36 AM »

I recently added a K&K Pure Western Mini and the Pure Preamp to my L-09 and the sound is as natural as one could want. I love this rig, but I do fight occasional feedback. If only the Pure Preamp had a notch filter...

* Larrivee: L-09
* Martin: OM-42
* Martin: Custom Maury Meuhlheisen D-35
* Emerald: X7/OS Custom
* Gibson SG (x 2)
* Fender: American Standard Telecaster
* Epiphone: FT-130
* Epiphone: Sheraton2
charliep

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2005, 04:03:22 PM »

I have the Baggs active I-beam and the Baggs PARA DI . It does a great job. But.........I am sure leaning toward the K&K for my L03 just for variety. I wouldn't have any reservations about buying any of the Baggs products again
CharlieP
Daddyo

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2005, 07:32:19 PM »

I have a L-03R with an iBeam and a Aria AC50 classical with a K&K Pure classical. I'm happy with both of them. I run them through a Para DI. The iBeam was easier to install - they give you a jim dandy jig. The K&K doesn't require a pre-amp, I just use the Para for the EQ power. I think either one is a good choice.

Larrivee L-03R with iBeam passive and LR Bigs ParaDI
Aria AC50
Robert Cray Stratocaster
Ibanez AS 73 Artcore
Fender Precision Standard Bass
Traynor YCV 40T
Roland Cube 30
Yorkville XM 50
Aria FA 71
drathbun
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2005, 03:31:30 PM »

Just for information, the iBeam active doesn't require a preamp either. The preamp is built in to the endjack.

2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La
bri

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2005, 03:49:28 PM »

I just did a comparison of my M1 (thru PADI) vs. IBeam (active) in a DV-03 last night in the church PA. Both pick up body contact sounds (brushing on clothes, tapping on the top) about equally. The M1 seemed to have more even frequency response though not as 'real' sounding, maybe because the IBeam has a preset EQ curve.

The IBeam is more airy and mic-like. It picks up fingerpicking, palm-muting, and string impact more accurately. It gets slightly muddy and thumpy under heavy strumming. The M1 has a smooth sound when strumming with very little noise from any impacts on the strings via pick, muting etc.
JohnM2001
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2005, 04:13:31 PM »

I have a K&K mini in my L-01 and a Fishman Active Matrix in my OM-03W.  The K&K sounds much better, very natural, no quack.  The Fishman is OK, I find it sounds very good for playing lead, but the K&K sounds much better overall, just like your guitar acoustically, only louder, as many have said.  Before the K&K, I had a Markley Sweet Spot in my L-01, the sound didn't do too much for me.  In the end, I felt it sounded even more articificial than the Fishman, with more quack and plink, especially when played with a hard attack.  YMMV.

D-02E
jambrose

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2005, 03:41:26 AM »

I've got the Fishman Natural Type II in a D-03, use it for strumming and picking, sounds great. Use in in combination with the Blues Jr, and whether clean or dirty; get good, clear notes with the dread full voice.

Chasing a rabbit a little....I am real happy how this D-03 has just gotten a better and better voice just in a year. Play it a lot, and it booms, yet if picking has clear tones and sustains. This is one that took no fret work, no action adjustment or work to be in prime playing condition. It's one fiiiine guitar.
 -_-

Joe
D-03
L-03
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: