Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What A Long Strange Trip Its Been.  (Read 531 times)
little Jack

Ignore
« on: March 11, 2004, 06:22:17 AM »

Back in 1990 I had this compulsion to own a small body guitar.  At the time I was playing a 1966 Brazilian Rosewood D-21.  I bought a rather beat up 1927 Martin 00-18 that needed quite a bit of restoration.  I did the unspeakable and had the neck slimmed down and had the bar frets replaced with jumbo frets.  The luthier also made a new pyramid bridge to replace the old straight saddled one.  While that little guitar was in the shop for about six months,  I still had that Jones  for a smaller guitar, so I traded the big Martin for a Larrivee L-10.  Back then they put a beautiful pelican and crescent moon abalone inlay in the headstock.  There was no abalone inlay in the binding, but there was a nice inlay pattern on the fret board.  That guitar was just gorgeous and it sounded like nothing I had ever played before.  I was going through a bad divorce at the time and things being as they were, I sold the Larrivee to pay off some of the attorney’s bills.  When I got the little Martin back from the luthier, I found that I just couldn’t get the intonation right on the thing. I tried messing with different saddles, but I think it was the jumbo frets that threw the whole thing off.  It just drove me nuts.  I traded the 00-18 for a Larrivee LS-05.  That was another sweet instrument.  It was small, understated, and powerful.  I   can’t remember for the life of me why I sold that guitar, but I did.  Along the next ten years or so I got into a Martin buying frenzy and picked up a D-42, a 00-21NY, a 000-M, and an OM-1.  They were all fine guitars but they just didn’t seem to fit me.  I sold them all and bought a Larrivee Rosewood Parlor guitar.  That was back in 2000, so it has no binding.  It’s just a plain little cutey.  I’ve made a compensated bone saddle for it and I sanded the braces down from square topped to pointed ( /\ ).  The tone of this instrument is delightful.  I also polished out the satin finish to a nice glassy luster.  All that fussing around was done early on in my ownership.  Now I just enjoy play the thing.  Its my one and only and I couldn’t be happier.
Bob

poki
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2004, 06:51:26 AM »

You certainly have had an an interesting life with it's ups and downs but what's most important is you now have in your hands that what gives you the happiness we all desire...
poki B)  

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor
Fingertwister

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2004, 09:44:52 AM »

..as the actress said to the bishop..
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: