Acoustic Guitar Magazine(s)

Started by btbill, May 21, 2005, 11:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Can anyone recommend a good guitar magazine to check out.
I like reading good reviews about Larrivee guitars, checking out and trying to play songs that have been transcribed in TAB.
I also like to drool over good pictures of guitars that I can't afford.
Thanks in advance,
btbill
Breedlove Revival DM
Larrivee J-10

I'll second the vote for Acoustic Guitar.

You may also want to check out the excellent webzine "Acoustic Player Magazine" at: http://www.acousticplayermagazine.com/

APM is a project by a frequent poster to this forum, Little Brother. Great reviews, instruction and interviews.

Ron

Been nothing new at APM in months.. :(  
Dan
Ypsilanti, Michigan

Fender F 265-C
Larrivee OM-03
Gibson SG 62' Reissue
Washburn Rover
Late 60's Crestwood Astral II

if you are not restricted to only acoustic guitars, try Guitar Techniques, from England. Excellent magazine, it comes with a cd of the included transcribed lessons.

QuoteBeen nothing new at APM in months.. :(
Dan,
Mike Crixell, co-founder of the mag with Doug Jones (Little Brother) had a death in the family. It was his mom and with his dad being elderly, the burden of taking care of everything was left to Mike. The 3rd issue should be web-published shortly. Keep in mind that the annual subscription rate applies to the number of issues and not the time taken to publish so subscribers can feel comfortable that their subscription is still valid for this issue. Mike and Doug are working hard to get the new issue up ASAP.

I also subscribe to AG print magazine and I highly recommend them. They are a professional print magazine all the way. I take their issues on plane flights and even leave them up at my local dentists office so people dont suffer from too much Newsweek ;)

I have also really been enjoying GuitarNoise.com as well. They have many great articles, lessons and content I like.

Thanks for the kind comments Tom. I know they are heartfelt.

Hi Dan, I am really sorry about the frustration. We are redesigning the APM server and business from the ground up and it has been very time consuming. We promise to make it all up to everyone in the long run and I am very thankful for you supporting us in this huge undertaking.

Sincerely,
Doug  
Check out my new blues site WEB SITE with free acoustic blues lesson videos and more.

S'okay LB - I paid my subscription and don't mind waiting. As far as I'm concerned the first two issues were worth the price of admission (especially with the TE and Ed Claxton interviews) and the rest is icing on the cake. A little teaser every so often over at the APM forum wouldn't be a bad thing, though! ;)  
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

QuoteBeen nothing new at APM in months.. :(
Dan,
Mike Crixell, co-founder of the mag with Doug Jones (Little Brother) had a death in the family. It was his mom and with his dad being elderly, the burden of taking care of everything was left to Mike. The 3rd issue should be web-published shortly. Keep in mind that the annual subscription rate applies to the number of issues and not the time taken to publish so subscribers can feel comfortable that their subscription is still valid for this issue. Mike and Doug are working hard to get the new issue up ASAP.
LittleBrother, my heartfelt condolences, and a prayer for you and your family.

God Bless,

Joe
Joe
D-03
L-03

Joe,
My sentence structure wasn't very good in my post above. It was Mike's Mom, not Doug's. Sorry about that.

Don't forget about Guitar World Acoustic. They have some good interviews and some excellent transcriptions - six full ones each issue. They often have a bunch of contemporary stuff (most of which doesn't appeal to me, but some does) and old acoustic classics from groups such as CSN. They also have a section in which they arrange a basically electric song or even a non-guitar song for acoustic guitar.

Blues Revue, not strictly a guitar mag, has some great interviews and articles. They have brief instruction sections for guitar and harmonica. I often pick up a new lick or finger picking pattern from them.
L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster

Guitar World Acoustic is the better one but I get AG as well.  Fingerstyle magazine is good if you like learning stuff you've mostly never heard. It has a CD and tab of the songs.  

Thanks,
I have subscribed to APM, and AcousticGuitar, picked up a copy of Fingerstyle, and Guitar World Acoustic this evening from Boarders.
Looks like I will have plenty of reading material for a while....
Now I  have got to stop guitar shopping, and play what I've got.
btbill
D-03
J-10
Breedlove Revival DM
Larrivee J-10

Right now my favorite offline guitar magazine is Fingerstyle Guitar. I also have a subscription to APM and can't wait for issue #3!

As for Guitar World acoustic, I must be getting old but the groups they profile just don't do it for me anymore. I have to be honest and say that I usually only buy the magazine for the tab, but I've also been playing long enough to see the same old songs transcribed several times over the years. Now if I want to find tab I just check around online.  
Neil K

2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1989 Kramer Striker 610

+1 for Fingerstyle Magazine.

Quite a bargain when you realize that you get a mag, CD and authentic TAB transcriptions. It looks as though they are moving towards offering some muti media content to the CDs as well.

If they added the TAB files in PowerTab format I would be very happy :) :)
Ron

APM is by far the best online magazine. For print, I like Acoustic Guitar, Vintage Guitar Mag, and Musicians Hotline.

I got my first copy of Fingerstyle Magazine a couple of weeks ago. I was a bit disappointed in it. The CD does not play without installing some other software, which I do not care to do. If I could just listen to the CD like any other it would be fine, but having to install their software just means I will not buy their mag again.
My Guitars
Larrrivee OM-03
Seagull M6 Gloss
http://photos.yahoo.com/rttadlock

I'm not a subscriber to Fingerstyle Guitar magazine, but I do like the variety of music they have published in the past. Before discovering this magazine I was stuck in a rut by playing "mainstream" acoustic music like Eric Clapton unplugged and Dave Matthews. I'm contemplating on becoming a subscriber and if I do I may send them a letter with some suggestions that I detail below.

Odd that the FGM CD is telling you to install software. From what I've seen the only software on there is a trial edition of G7 tab software, but you should be required to install it to view the PDF tabs or listen to the audio track on your PC. FWIW I tried it and didn't like it so I just uninstalled it.

I also don't like that some of the tabs are not printed in the actual magazine and are in fact only in PDF format. I hate printing the PDFs because then I'm sacked with the additional cost of printer paper and finding someplace to keep all the loose paper. IMO they should expand the length of their magazine to include printed versions of all the tabs IMO. 

+1 on the powertab or TEP files, but I figure the audio tracks are good enough. In the past I've transcribed some of the songs from the sheet music to PTB and the work involved kind of helped me to get a better ear for the details.
Neil K

2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1989 Kramer Striker 610

Hmmm, the CDs that have come with copies of Fingerstyle Magazine that I've bought have been ordinary CDs. Play them in any CD player.  My only complaint is I'd like a few more standards.

Quote from: ducktrapper on June 06, 2005, 12:09:35 PM
Hmmm, the CDs that have come with copies of Fingerstyle Magazine that I've bought have been ordinary CDs. Play them in any CD player.  My only complaint is I'd like a few more standards.

Right.  Some of the pieces on there are pretty good but it would be nice to have some classics mixed in there with them.