Segurdson guitars??

Started by AF_ONE, June 06, 2005, 10:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anyone know if he is build dreads??  I heard he may be into clasicals only???  I have an e-mail into him.  Any comments from youm folks that have experience with his work is greatly appreciated!

Are those anything like Sigurdson guitars?

If so, I've never seen a dread of his, but he certainly does steel strings.

Sorry for the typo-glad you could make out Sigurdson from the above post.
Anyway, yes, he does make dreads.  Just wondering if anyone has seen his work or played one of his guitars?

I have never played a Dread made by Jeff, but he was part of the now defunct Legend Guitar Company (and Larrivee before that) and they made some well respected steel strings of all sizes.

From the Elixir website:

The Legend Guitar Company was formed in the latter days of 1998 by master luthiers Jeff Sigurdson, Michael Soper, and Jesse Brace with the able assistance of business partner and renowned guitar broker, Robert Brown. Jeff, Michael, and Jesse bring nearly 40 years of combined experience in larger guitar shops to the design and building of their own handmade, high-end acoustic guitars. Their specific goal was to create vintage sounding instruments with the performance characteristics of more modern designs at a price that was within the reach of a much wider audience. The combination of silky fast action, deliciously balanced, highly resonant response, as well as classic yet functionally rich beauty, makes these limited production instruments simply irresistible.
Ron

there was an oo for sale here just a couple of weeks ago.  posting included pictures and the guitar looked like a beautiful instrument.  in fact, it seemed to be priced nicely although I have never seen or played one myself. 
Santa Cruz PJ
Martin om28v
Martin 0018vs
Bourgeois 'Alan Simpson' Slope Dread
Martin LXM (on loan)

He makes a Dread that is a real close copy of the SCGC D-PW which was a very good guitar. Maybe a D-102 but I cant remember. Legend is out of business. Jeff still builds guitars but no idea where.
Check out my new blues site WEB SITE with free acoustic blues lesson videos and more.

I have a Sigurdson all Koa Om. It's the guitar that gets the most attention both in playing time and because it sits in the living room. It looks like fine furniture and sounds awesome too. Jeff is a fine luthier and is nice to deal with. I found out about his guitars on e-bay and then asked around just like you are to check on credibility. You may wait for a while but it should be worth it.

Thanks Ronmac. That's good to see he's building. He seems like an honest and good person with a good work ethic and attention to detail. I would characterize his guitars that I evaluated as bordering on high end. They have all the earmarks of the best. Solid construction, beautiful wood selections, light and responsive and they feel good in your hands and lap. Finish is not as robotically perfect as a Taylor or Collings for example but very good and in fact a very rich look he gets in color and grain. The inside cleanliness of his guitars ranged from good to very good. I would not hesitate for a minute to buy one. I've also seen many of his guitars sell for alot less than they should sell for. I think one big thing was the tone. He really was getting incredible tone. I had one OM prewar style I wrote a review on. Customer that bought it later returned it and said his local luthier said he'd seen better neck angles on 800.00 guitars. Well I saw, photographed and examined that guitar myself with a metal ruler and took photos that later conflicted with what the buyer's remorse victim was claiming. That was one bad A S S little OM and sounded fantastic. I think the Dread he made was just as good and the neck angle,  fretwork, intonation, bridge location were all dead on. As I said before they also had a nice hand made feel to them.

Check out my new blues site WEB SITE with free acoustic blues lesson videos and more.

I am not surprised by what you are saying Little Brother. After all, Jeff did receive some pretty good training!

It's too bad that Legend Guitar Company didn't survive. I know several pro players  use their guitars, and they are very happy with them. But like any type of business, being good at what you do doesn't mean that you can automatically generate enough cash to survive.

I ahve seen several of Jeff's guitars show up on EBay and I couldn't help but think that those that have taken the chance to buy are getting an incredible deal. Let's hope he can generate enough business, and income, to keep at it.
Ron

he's another one of those crazy eccentric guys that is filled with talent...ive met him a few times and he's quite an interesting guy. his guitars are awesome.

i see the seller is jesse brace....his former partner in Legend Guitars. thats a nice guitar...those guys are both extremely talented.i believe heath hales of thomsley guitars worked with them too for awhile. check his stuff out... www.thomsleyguitars.com

i have a dred from 2002
very nice guitar it is very even with good clarity and gets louder up the neck.
It can handle Jazz chords and this is the only guitar that I have had that the b string alone can make the
whole guitar vibrate.  you can get a very wide range of sounds from it.
seems to have unlimited headroom. my shoulder wishes it was a om!
mike

I am the one that purchased the Sigurdson 00 Koa on the forum.  It is a fantastic guitar.  The woods are really nice.  The top is from Jean's stash of Red Spruce.  I talked to Jeff about this.  He told me he called Jean and asked to purchase some of the stiffest spruce had.  Jean took him to a special stack of wood mark "Red Spruce".  Jean told him he was save this for special runs.  Theses Red Spruce tops have extremely tight grain and little red lateral marks.  It is very unique.  This thing has great tone and lots of sustain.  I also have a Legend OM303 and this guitar has a lot of the same characteristics.  They both have an old timey sound, which I really love.  Jeff did a nice job on both guitars.

Wade