G chord and A chord fingering, what do you use?

Started by jambrose, June 06, 2005, 09:01:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quote from: MH3 on June 11, 2005, 04:51:58 PM
Like others have said, it depends on the context.

For the G chord, used to almost always use 2-1-3.  Then I started using 2-1-3-4 for the fuller sound with the D note on the B string.  But now I also use 3-2-4 if I'm using the open B string, as it makes the change to G7 or Gsus4 more accessible.

For A, I almost always use 2-1-3 because of the ease of changing to any of the A variants as well as D or the 2-1-3-4 G chord (just keep the 3rd finger anchored to the fretboard while sliding up to the 3rd fret on the 2nd string).  I find that this fingering also keeps my string buzzes to a minimum.

Agreed!  :mellow:
05 Larrivee LV-05 (L.R. Baggs Imix)
03 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24
99 Fender DG-24 MA
Mesa Boogie Road King II Head & Mesa Road King 2x12 Cab

I'm still getting into the different style of fingering as in different placements for common chords. For example C and G, one feller at church throws me off by different structure.
Joe
D-03
L-03

Heh try watching finger style players, they make all sorts of little short cuts to chords.
05 Larrivee LV-05 (L.R. Baggs Imix)
03 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24
99 Fender DG-24 MA
Mesa Boogie Road King II Head & Mesa Road King 2x12 Cab

How you finger these chords - or any chords - depends on the context in which they occur. You should be able to play G and A  using any combination of fingers. Same goes for other 3-finger chords like C, D, E, Am, and so on.  Fingerstyle players should practice playing C and D chords using the 2, 3, and 4 fingers.

For people who have trouble playing an A chord with the 1, 2, and 3 fingers, try this: If you swing your left arm out sideways away from your body you can stack your fingers in a more vertical line, which may allow you to avoid crowding the 3 finger against the 2 finger. If you have a problem with the 3 finger muting the high E string, just push your forearm forward until you get the clearance you need.

Also try to find fingerings that don't make chord changes sound jerky. For example, when you're going from a 2nd position A7th (partial barre) to a D7th (in the 1st position), use your middle finger for the A7th barre instead of your index finger. This way your index finger is free to grab the B string at the 1st fret, and you may avoid a gap in the phrasing.

I see too many good players who sound choppy because they don't understand the importance of fingering. There's no reason for it. Fingering is just common sense. But it takes a lot of work.

Ashby

The more I read, the more I learn. I'm continuing to get good stuff that's helpful from this thread although "it's got a little dust on the bottle". Thanks to admin for keeping it around.

:mellow:
Joe
D-03
L-03

Quote from: jambrose on July 12, 2005, 08:08:15 AM
The more I read, the more I learn. I'm continuing to get good stuff that's helpful from this thread although "it's got a little dust on the bottle". Thanks to admin for keeping it around.

:mellow:
I like this thread, I've learned from it as well.  I must say that fingering C with 2-3-4 is a challenge for me!

Marty

Larrivee D-03R with LR Baggs iBeam
Fender Stratocaster
Seagull MJM6 cedar-top cutaway

Quote from: MH3 on July 14, 2005, 07:19:44 PM
I must say that fingering C with 2-3-4 is a challenge for me!

It's easier if you lay down the 4 finger first. Then place the 3 and 2 fingers. Make sure your wrist is aligned nice and straight with the forearm. Thumb should not be too high up on the back of the neck. Try practicing it further up the neck where the frets are closer together. This helps develop pinkie control and independence.

Ashby

I'll take a stab at this even though I'm such a newbie. My teacher taught me a different way of forming a G – I use my middle finger on the 3rd fret 6th string whilst deadening the 5th and use my ring finger on string 2 and pinkie on string 1. With a C I just move my middle finger down one string onto 5th string deadening 4th. This has made it much easier for me to go from a G to C chord which before was just happening too slowly. I know these are not the typical G and C but sounds good to me. Oh, and on the A I use fingers 1, 2, and 3 occasionally taking 3rd finger off for A2 I think it's called. Anyway, just my 2 cents.

With the G I tend to use 2,3 & 4 unless I add the 9th, then I have to use all four fingers. The A chord has always been very difficult for me to play with anything but my middle finger as a barre. Fat fingertips, I guess.

Bob
Spearfish, SD

Quote from: sologuitar on July 15, 2005, 12:09:13 AM
It's easier if you lay down the 4 finger first. Then place the 3 and 2 fingers. Make sure your wrist is aligned nice and straight with the forearm. Thumb should not be too high up on the back of the neck. Try practicing it further up the neck where the frets are closer together. This helps develop pinkie control and independence.

Ashby

This is also what seems to be working for me as I try and condition myself to use more 2-3-4 fingering. I tend to partial bar, I feel similar to BR-183Bob on fingers.
Joe
D-03
L-03