Your experience....LV mahogany or LV rosewood?

Started by amigo, June 06, 2005, 10:42:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi everyone!

I am looking forward to get a lefty Larrivee L03 model. I like the mahogany visually, but I am wondering if it does deliver as well as the rosewood in terms of sound?

What is your experience.

Sylvain  :UND>
Montreal

This is a question several of us have had.

The only answer is to buy one of each.    :mellow:
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Different sounds, both have their advocates and some detractors. Mahogany is usually thought of as having a warmer, "friendlier" sound. Leo Kottke says that he views it as a more forgiving wood than Rosewood which tends to amplify your mistakes.

Rosewood is a more complex sound with more bass and treble and more overtones. The mahogany tends to favor the midrange.

Both are great sounds. Mahogany is sometimes thought to cut through the mix of other instruments better than rosewood.

Try Koa or Blackwood.  :WNK>
Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP :crying:
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Gretsch Tennessee Rose
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi

play them. If you cant find those exact models to play at least try other guitars in both woods to get an idea of the difference in sounds.
Most say mahogany is brighter and woodier and has more clarity. Some say its harsh.
Rosewood is usually thought to be more complex,warmer and have more bass. Some say its muddy.

There are clips of the different models at the top of this forum. Listen to them on a few different audio systems and definitely listen on headphones.

Go here and scroll down to "back and sides".

http://www.bourgeoisguitars.com/tapping_tonewoods.htm

My extremely partial opinion states:

LV05MT, mahogany and a mahogany top!

I don't know if an LV03MT could be located anymore, much less in a lefty, but if you can, give one a try.

A nice woody sound, but not too dark. A surprising amount of power and projection for a non-dread.

Paolo

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. "

Bil Mitchell HG 00 -  all Walnut
Everett Laurel O
Larri LV05MT
Larri LV09 Custom All Walnut
Larri LV-03RE-12
Larri J05
Larri SE Parlor Walnut
Tacoma C3C - peeling finish
Martin 000-17

I know different soup for different people, but the mahogany is BETTER!!! LoL.  Assuming that you dont play bluegrass that is, which I dont.
Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon

Which is better, rosewood or mahogany?  :wacko:

Quote from: amigo on June 06, 2005, 10:42:52 AM
Hi everyone!

I am looking forward to get a lefty Larrivee L03 model. I like the mahogany visually, but I am wondering if it does deliver as well as the rosewood in terms of sound?

What is your experience.

Sylvain  :UND>
Montreal
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Thanks to all of you....I finally ordered a lefty L05V with mahogany top. Three months to wait but I guess it will be worthwile!

Abrigado.....salut, ciao and thanks

Sylv :TON>ain

That is going to be a smokin guitar Amigo.
I am sure that 3 months will creep by, but it will be well worth it.
-josh
Larrivee P-03MT
Martin 00
Epiphone Bluesmaster

Quote from: amigo on June 09, 2005, 10:50:04 AM
Thanks to all of you....I finally ordered a lefty L05V with mahogany top. Three months to wait but I guess it will be worthwile!

I hope you'll be as pleased with yours as I have been with mine. It plays beautifully and sounds so good that even my playing is listenable.

It's the "Student Prince" of guitars (Kottke fans will know what I'm talking about.)

Paolo
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. "

Bil Mitchell HG 00 -  all Walnut
Everett Laurel O
Larri LV05MT
Larri LV09 Custom All Walnut
Larri LV-03RE-12
Larri J05
Larri SE Parlor Walnut
Tacoma C3C - peeling finish
Martin 000-17

... it only the model LV that has the flamed effects, My LV-03E got the BearClaw btw!!!??? Is that bad?? LOL !, will post a peg soon. :GRN>

Peace!

Quote from: amigo on June 09, 2005, 10:50:04 AM

Were here to help. The good thing about a forum like this is that even if you dont like the guitar we will still be here for support. So, if you dont like the guitar feel free to dump it off on me like a bad habit that way you wont have to put up with it.