Dana Bourgeois

Started by rosewoodman, July 24, 2003, 04:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

if you folks haven't tried to out the Bourgeois guitars then you are missin out.  I am trying to get a jomc.  I won't get rid of my larrivee, but the way these things sound is heavenly.  check out the one I want here

http://www.rutlandsmusic.com/bourgeois/picker/

this guitar is the BOMB.  I bet it costs alot more than my larrivee.

happy strummin' :)  :)  :)  

Played a JOMC (EI Rosewood back and sides/Adirondack top) at Wildwood Music IN Coshocton, Ohio.  Great guitar!

I think you're right - more expensive than your Larrivee... especially with cocobolo back and sides.

I talked to this very fine finger picker awhile back...had just gotten a Bourgois. He kept in in an altered tuning on stage. Anyway he raved about the playability and tone. It was immediately his number one.

Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.

I like them a lot.  I played a dread at Acoustic Music Revival that was sitka/Honduran Rosewood, and it blew me away.

John Mayes ( www.mayesguitars.com ) is another great luthier who did his early work with Dana and then started his own business.

john mayes rocks like no other!

i have an adirondack/cocobolo parlor that he built for me last year.  it's awesome!  john is THE BEST bargain out there in custom builders today.

david

I talked to the sales guy that is holding that Georgia Cotton Picker. He gave me a 1 hour sales pitch on the in's and out's of the guitar and of Dana. He really knew his stuff. I did a lot of research on Bourgeois guitars and since I'm not a bluegrass player (which is what those guitars are known for) I don't think they are right for me.

2003 Breedlove SC20 Coco/Sitka (Nov 26 delivery)
Bone nut and saddle
Schaller nickel tuners
Ebony tuner buttons
L.R. Baggs Dual Element

2003 Larrivée OM-03R: SOLD

2003 Larrivée L-09: SOLD

I've never played a Bourgeois.  What is the neck like?  Can you compare it to another guitar for me to get a reference point?  I looks very sweet.
Mike <><

I've got an OMC.  Its a soft "V" neck.  More rounded and less deep than the Martin "modified V" that comes on their vintage series.

I'm not comfortable on the Martin V....had one and had to sell it. I'd be happier if the OMC neck was a tad deeper but I've stopped obssessing about it and  its working for me.

Dana builds a fine guitar - I've owned a few of 'em. They're a step up from a Martin (unless you're talking the Martin VR's & GE's). His prices seem to be lower than Collings and Santa Cruz, too. Tough to go wrong buying a Bourgeois.
Vaya con Dios,
JonesKY
Ac & El Guitar