Its Here !!! A Quickie Review !

Started by artz, May 31, 2005, 01:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIC's are a few post's down.....
:D A little before 9 AM, there was a knock at the door, I opened it and ...ta-dah !... there is a big box on the porch that says "BREEDLOVE".  Yes ! Its here !...
I opened the box and pulled out the case. So far, I am impressed. It has 6 latches plus keys that lock it. The plastic formed handle is replaced with 2 thick leather straps. The case has an installed shoulder carry strap also. I never saw that before on a hardshell case.
As I finally got open the latches and opened the case, I held my breath. She lay among the black crushed velvet padding looking all warm and comfy.  It looked just a tad smaller than my Martin CEO5, it should be, they are both different guitars. The CEO5 is a 12 fret slotter, slope D type. Everything looked perfect. The case is form fitted to the guitar, where the Martin doesn't seem to be. The end pin is already inserted in the guitar and the case's padding is shaped to allow room for it without any possible tears or rips in the inside case material.
At first glance, The guitar does not have a full gloss top, yet it is not a satin finish. It is a low yield semi-gloss.
I lift it out of its bed and noticed how lite in weight it is. This is a good thing.
First, I mount it on my knee and automatically play a G chord. Wow...It sounds good and will sound TON's better the more I play it and open the guitar up. There isn't any buzzing or distortion anywhere on the neck. I didn't even have to tune it, it was that way when Jason at Notable Guitars shipped it. The openfaced tuners are Grover and looked very attractive on the guitar and if I didn't know better they could have been Waverlys. I did request to have the micarta saddle replaced with bone, and it was already mounted on the guitar. The bridge is black with speckles of brown in it. It looks as though it belongs and is attractive looking.  The fret board didn't feel as sharp as the Martin as I remember, and thats a good thing. There are mother of pearl micro-dots in the frets, they look good and not too large. The neck is hard to describe, it seems to be a little more forgiving when you play it compared to the CEO5. I don't know what the shape is. It is comfortable though. I can also say this, the guitar is nicely set-up. The CEO5 is going to Mr. Kimsey for a "little vacation".
I can look at the two guitars and see the difference between the Sepele on the CEO5 and the honduran mahogany on the DM. The Headstock is clean and smooth with the Breedlove symbol nicely figured in. I like the color and size of the pick guard. It looks good with the color of the top wood. Speaking of top wood (tonewood), it is sitka spruce. I would have loved to had the adi top but I can hold my breath, the adi top (red spruce) was an extra thousand dollars. Thanks, but no thanks...
The binding around the body is attractive. It is the same colors as the pick guard. Faux tortishell.
Inside the guitar, I do not see a hint of glue or illfiting parts. Ohhh....and that smell !
Not too strong but you can smell it. The inside has Advanced Scalloped "Pre-War" X-Bracing.
Just the initial 5 minutes of picking her, I can tell she'll be able to cut through the banjo madness when needed.
Well....its back to pickin' and a grinnin'. I'll try to post some pics later.
Again, I want to thank Jason at Notable guitars. You were a great help in my purchase. No wonder you are tops in the business !
Any questions ? Feel free to ask.
                                                                    Regards,  Art  B)
br]
 Breedlove Revival series DR
 Breedlove Revival series DM

Great review and thanks for sharing!  Getting a new guitar (or any guitar for that matter) is an amazing experience, especially when you haven't seen or played it before hand.  There is a lot of anticipation, excitment and nervousness mixed in at the same time, hoping that it will be the guitar that you imagined, or better!

I'd love to see some pics of it and hear another report after you've had a chance to play it for a while.

I think I hear a cold coming down ~ my advice is to stay home from work tomorrow  ;)

John in Japan
...A couple of beautiful guitars...

Not all those who wander are lost ...
http://denmankayaks.wordpress.com/

This is the Breedlove Revival DM-proto right? Very nice buy and Jason is always helpful indeed.
Tacoma DK-28 Koa/Spruce
Northwood MJ-80R (one more week till it arrives!)

I love it....   :D  
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

Yes...It is the Breedlove Revival series DM prototype  B)
br]

oooooo need pictures hahaha. ;) B)  
Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon

Oh yes, we need pictures...  :lol:  

br]

br]

Great looking wood with killer binding and neat tuners.  Love it!  Bet it sounds great.
Hope you enjoy it.

Phil

Very nice box. I bet it sounds good too. I tried one at a local store and thought it pretty well nailed the classic Martin sound which I think is a good thing. If I were in the market for a mahogany flatpicking dread this one would have to be a top contender.  Jason is a great guy to work with. Can't go wrong with him. Question. Is the fretboard unbound on this unit?

Very nice indeed... Is this the satin finish?

That looks really good. I love the traditional look with the tortoise binding.

If I'm thinking right. The neck is unbound. (someone here may have to explain that term to me... ), and the finish is a low yield semi-gloss.
br]