Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Review A Favorite Underrated Acoustic Album  (Read 7095 times)
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2005, 06:39:51 PM »

"Friday Night in San Francisco"

Paco De Lucia, Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin.

Frevo Rasgado rules!!!!

I bought that album back in 83 or 84 on vinyl.  Got it on CD now.  I am still in awe over the runs these guys play.  I used to like that opening track the best but as time wore on, I learned to appreciate Frevo Rasgado.  Not as many speedy licks and long runs but tasty, oh so tasty picking on that tune. 

BTW, I don't think this album can be classified as "underrated" :GRN>

billchivers

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2005, 08:24:40 PM »

What a great thread! This is going to hurt my CD budget.

Let me add some Australian content:

1. The Waifs, "A Brief History". Vikki and Donna Simpson harmonise as only sisters can, and Josh Cunninghan's guitar playing is wonderful. Josh used to play a Dan Dubowski (Australian) guitar until, with the help of Dubowski, he built his own flattop and archtop.

2. Speaking of the Waifs, their drummer David Ross MacDonald has his own acoustic guitar albums. On the album "Southern Crossing" he tours Australia, visiting local luthiers and playing their guitars. The CD comes with a booklet describing each guitar that you hear.

3. Jodi Martin, "Water and Wood". I saw Jodi as the support act to Arlo Guthrie during his 2004 Down Under tour. She is a great talent, and by-the-way is there anyone reading this who has not seen Arlo in concert? Buy "Live in Sydney" to see what you are missing (this is the concert I saw).

And non-Australian:

4. David Surette, "Trip to Kemper". David is one of the best Celtic folk players I have found, and if you email him he will send you the music/tab on this CD and "Back Roads" in his book "Down the Brae".

5. Bob Dylan (underrated?) --- not so many people are familiar with Dylan's early 90's albums "World Gone Wrong" and "Good As I Been To You". These are unusual because Dylan wrote none of the music, it is all American blues and roots music. The reason I mention them here is the incredible sounding D28 (?) he used at this time (I think he also used it on the MTV Unplugged album). What was it about that guitar? Almost enough to make you buy a Martin, but most do not sound this good.

Cheers,
Bill Chivers

Larrivee OM-03R 2007
Aria Classical mid 1960s Model A550 S/No 83
Fender Stratocaster 2000
brimc76

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2005, 01:00:06 PM »

Big Greg Brown fan here too!
*NEWS*
RUN! DO NOT WALK and pick up the new Sexsmith Kerr CD. Ron Sexsmith and Don Kerr. Absolutley delightful blend of two voices, two acoustics and incredible songs.  Best thing I've heard in a long time. Like Beatles unplugged or something.

I just got this sent to me Duck. I haven't heard anything from the new CD though.

"Misfit songs sung by a couple of misfits" is how acclaimed singer-songwriter
Ron Sexsmith playfully describes his new duet album with longtime band mate and
well-known indie rock producer Don Kerr. Teasing aside, Destination Unknown is a
seriously stunning release, offering a welcome 21st century answer to the Everly
Brothers.

Together, with Ron's band, the two have toured the world, sharing the stage with
the likes of Coldplay and Elvis Costello, whom along with Paul McCartney and
many others, count themselves among Ron's fans. Sexsmith & Kerr's camaraderie is
showcased with the lilting, gorgeous harmonies of Destination Unknown.

It's almost 10 years since Sexsmith first amazed Greenbank fans with his three
sets of "Ron Sexsmith and The Uncool" in the fall of '96. For the foot courier
turned singer/songwriter, his distinctive sound began to take shape in 1991. And
after a string of more amazing albums, such as Cobblestone Runway, and Blue Boy,
we now hear his wonderful songs performed all over the dial by a wide range of
artists, from Rod Stewart to opera singer Anne Sophie Van Otter. It will be a
delight and an honour to attend Ron's Greenbank sets on December 3rd. But
tickets have been going fast.

Greenbank Folk Music Society, Greenbank Centennial Hall, Greenbank (Hwy 12, 30
mins north of Whitby)

Tickets: $ 20.

The website is:
 http://www.globalserve.net/~ynot/grnbnk.htm

Brian M.
Sordello

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2005, 01:27:20 PM »

Frevo Rasgado rules!!!!

I bought that album back in 83 or 84 on vinyl.  Got it on CD now.  I am still in awe over the runs these guys play.  I used to like that opening track the best but as time wore on, I learned to appreciate Frevo Rasgado.  Not as many speedy licks and long runs but tasty, oh so tasty picking on that tune. 

BTW, I don't think this album can be classified as "underrated" :GRN>

Agreed Denis... many tasty runs on Frevo.... and in the same direction on this thread I will throw in a rare and underrated one: Larry Coryell's 'European Impressions' LP.  Haven't seen it on CD yet but i bought an old beat up LP of this one and had it transferred to CD. That first track, Toronto Under The Sign of Capricorn, can stand with any song on the Friday Night concert.  Brilliant acoustic playing!
titan73

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2005, 04:09:45 AM »

Nothing related to Larrivee , however listen to those old remasterd random Sandy Denny tunes from ''the church''??? most incredable acoustic  recordings  Listen Listen ???
Acoustickler

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2006, 03:00:02 AM »

I'm glad someone mentioned this... It has to be my all time favorite!! I didn't want to like Dave Matthews, but a friend of mine used to play this at work and once it sank in, I was HOOKED!! Dave is extremely talented as a guitar player and a songwriter, and Tim Reynolds redefines acoustic soloing. This is a definate MUST for any acoustic player!! I have learned so much from listening to "Live at Luther College"!!

Me too.  I'm a fan, and this is a particularly great recording.

Cheers,
B.

============================
1998 Larrivee D-10 (Brazilian RW/Sitka)
1999 Froggy Bottom F Deluxe (Koa/Adirondack)
2003 Martin D-17 (All Mahogany)
1996 Fender USA Strat Plus
1967 Hofner President
2001 Dean USA Time Capsule V #17/50 (Cherry Sunburst)
1978 Music Man 112-65
Mesa 50 50
Rivera 212
Shredkratcher

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2006, 10:27:18 PM »

Martin Simpson "Cool and Unusual" - as the title suggests...very cool and unusual. Also Kelly Joe Phelps guests on a tune or two

John Fahey "America" - Don't know if he's underrated but this is a great album. Also may have the only recording with him playing on a 12 string (on the tune "America")

For fans of Gypsy jazz Bireli Lagrene "Move" - gypsy jazz with a saxophone player! Bireli can tear up the fretboard and in the past has played with other jazz artists such as Al DiMeola, Larry Coryell, and even Jaco Pastorius though he is considered by many to be the master of gypsy jazz. Check out his dvd as well "live jazz a la vienne". this is a guitarist extraganza with some really hot playing by a lot of relatively unknown players

Guitars...
Kronbauer Baritone MJ, Morgan 00, Larrivee OM5, Dell Arte Homage Selmer style guitar, Melancon P-90 Artist, Fender '52 Reissue Tele and more... I've got awful GAS
Mike
www.myspace.com/thegadjoplayers
bucky1

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2006, 12:33:20 AM »

Will the Circle be Unbroken Vol I by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band- not exactly unknown, but it introduced a whole genre of music to my generation in the 70's. It opened up a whole new world to learn that there were people like Doc Watson and Earl Scruggs who were every bit as good at what they did as were Hendrix and the Who.

Cowboy Songs by Michael Martin Murphy- I grew up in the west in a time when many of these songs could still be heard. This disc is the start of a series that gathers many of the songs together, and is done in a manner of great respect and admiration. Easy on the ears, too.

Keith

L-03R Lefty
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2006, 04:49:57 AM »

anything by Guster

anything by Pete Yorn

GIGGLER

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2006, 10:52:02 PM »

Darrell Scott, Live NC

1/2 playin acoustic....1/2 playing electric guitar.....but all through accompanied by just a stand up bass and a small drum kit. (those two guys are good, by the way!)

What a fine songwriter, and though he seems rough at the edges when live, man what a soulful voice, and what a powerful guitar player. He does a song "Helen of Troy, Pennsylvania" that makes you chuckle and also makes you a melancholy as heck.

Then, "With a Memory like Mine" makes me cry and put's a knot in my stomach every time.

I like his rendition of Johnny Cash's "I Still Miss Someone". This is one cool album!!

http://www.darrellscott.com/

Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.
stubby

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2006, 11:25:52 PM »

A sentimental vote goes out to the late, great Steve Goodman. I'm thinking of his second recording, "Somebody Else's Toubles" in particular, but Steve recorded a number of acoustic gems throughout his career. AND his recordings paled when compared to his live performances. After 35 years, "The Dutchman" remains my second favorite song (favorite song title is reserved for that life-altering song I haven't heard yet).

Sadly, America lost a national treasure when Steve died back in the eighties. 
bucky1

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2006, 11:51:08 PM »

A sentimental vote goes out to the late, great Steve Goodman

A favourite of mine, too. Judging from the liner notes in Anthology:No Big Surprise he must have been a tremendous person. His friends certainly would make you think so after reading the wonderful things they had to say about him. Makes you think that you don't need a lot more out of life than to have friends like that.

I love the Dutchman, too. If you want to here a nice version of it, check out the John McDermott album Just Plain Folk where the sond's writer Michael P. Smith sings it. He manages to put as much into it as Steve Goodman did.

L-03R Lefty
djsonovox

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2006, 03:35:14 PM »

Bert Jansch: ROSEMARY LANE

A prime selection of early Bert, with great songwriting and guitar skills. I especially love A DREAM, A DREAM.

John Renbourn: Sir John A Lot Of Merrie Englandes Musyk Thyng
A great showcas of his style. A desert island disk for me.

Doug Jones

[attachment no longer available]

Larrivee (1996) LC-09
Martin (2007) D-28
Aria AD-80
Seagull S6/Cedar
Epiphone Masterbuilt 500N
Yamaha FG-512 12-string
Eko Ranger XII 12-string, EMG undersaddle p/u
Tacoma Thunderchief bass
Vantage VS-695B Electric Bass
Rickenbacker (1986) 330-12 Mapleglo  blk h'ware
Flea Ukulele
Lanakai Bari Uke
KevinB

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2006, 05:26:35 PM »

Jimmy Buffett live in studio at The Record Plant in Sausalito, CA. Two times  - Feb. 1974 and Oct. 1974. One is Buffett solo and the other is Buffett with Roger Bartlett (guitar), Jerry Jeff Walker, and others accompanying him. All acoustic. It's bootleg but the sound quality is great being recorded in the studio before a small, live audience.

Great stuff if you like "early Buffett" as I do.     

Ahem, where would one be able to get said "bootlegs?"     :GRN>
jambrose

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2006, 11:19:21 PM »

David Wilcox was a great mention. I purchased his What You Whispered cd, and previewed some of his others. Good stuff!

Joe
D-03
L-03
jambrose

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2006, 02:00:38 AM »

Dave Wilcox, for guitar and song writing/singing...I just purchased his 1993 album Big Horizon. Glad someone mentioned him.

Joe
D-03
L-03
tubeornot2b

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2006, 07:31:22 PM »

Jerry Garcia /David Grisman. The album with The Thrill Is Gone, Russian Lullaby, Rockin Chair and Arabia on it. I think it feel between the cracks for most folks.

The 2nd and 3rd Solas albums. John Doyle shows that the rhythmn player can actually steal the show.
guitarsofpikesvill

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: July 13, 2006, 04:36:16 PM »

Bill Staines - Sandstone Cathedrals. I'm not sure it is even in print anymore but it is one of the best songwriting albums of all time. Every song is a masterpiece.

nineowls

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2006, 09:04:25 PM »

this is great. hope I can find some of these!...

I have been creating new "stations" on Pandora (pandora dot com) using your suggestions for about an hour now. I guess I have "found" more than 2 dozen "new-to-me" artist's music as a result.

Great thread.

Thanks!

Forum II #4 of 10
cigarbox guitar #3 of 3

Jasmine S35 (for sale)
bucky1

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2006, 02:48:49 AM »

Having just read the latest posts on the Neil Young DVD and Johnny Cash CD threads, I have jump in with another favorite- Ian Tyson's Live at Longview I am not sure if it is a 'best of' concert, as I have not heard much of his earlier solo stuff, but there is some very good song writing, and some very good musicianship on this album.

I had the priiviledge of seeing him in Toronto last fall, and it was a tremendous concert. He mentioned toward the end that he had to go because the Tylenol was wearing off. That was in reference to his arthritis. Even so, there was no evidence that he was in his 70's. His voice is definitely there, and his accompaniests, "the 2 Daves", carried the ball for the music.

A few songs before the intermission, Gordon Lightfoot came into the club and sat down to listen until the break. With the two of them in the room, it felt like being in the presence of royalty.

L-03R Lefty
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: