Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Review A Favorite Underrated Acoustic Album  (Read 6775 times)
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2005, 03:33:46 PM »

John Hiatt - Crossing Muddy Waters

I don't think John Hiatt gets the recognition he deserves.  This was the first album of his I bought, and it remains my favorite.

Rod Picott - Girl from Arkansas

Turns out to be an excellent album.  Mostly all acoustic and recorded live in the studio (including vocals), which I love the sound of.

Guy Clark - The Dark 

Maybe not Guy Clark's very best, but again, I love the sound of this album.  Recorded live in the studio with the guys sitting around in a circle.  As always, great songwriting.
Zach,

By coincidence today, for the first time in years and years, I brought John Hiatt's "Bring the Family" to listen to at work.   Ry Cooder, Jim Keltner and Nick Lowe...recorded in 4 days.  Such an awesome album too.  Great acoustic tunes like Lipstick Sunset, Learning how to Love You and on the piano, the reason I bought the album back in the 80's, Have a Little Faith in Me.

FrankF

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2005, 05:19:56 PM »

John Hammond - At the Crossroads

I stumbled onto this CD while plundering the bins at Borders Books one afternoon - boy am I glad I did.  Hammond has a quality to his playing and his voice that few contemporary blues players achieve IMO.  He is authentic.  He is a master of the slide guitar and plays Robert Johnson as well as anyone.  I keep going back and forth between this album and Clapton's recent Sessions for Robert J.  I prefer Hammond, though I am in no way knocking Clapton's take on Johnson's music.  There's just something to Hammond's raw style of playing that draws me in....great stuff.

FrankF
jimmyd
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2005, 02:28:59 PM »

John Hiatt - Crossing Muddy Waters

I don't think John Hiatt gets the recognition he deserves.  This was the first album of his I bought, and it remains my favorite.

Rod Picott - Girl from Arkansas

Turns out to be an excellent album.  Mostly all acoustic and recorded live in the studio (including vocals), which I love the sound of.

Guy Clark - The Dark 

Maybe not Guy Clark's very best, but again, I love the sound of this album.  Recorded live in the studio with the guys sitting around in a circle.  As always, great songwriting.
Zach,

By coincidence today, for the first time in years and years, I brought John Hiatt's "Bring the Family" to listen to at work.   Ry Cooder, Jim Keltner and Nick Lowe...recorded in 4 days.  Such an awesome album too.  Great acoustic tunes like Lipstick Sunset, Learning how to Love You and on the piano, the reason I bought the album back in the 80's, Have a Little Faith in Me.
Little Village was a great album thast got little attention. John Hiatt, Nick Lowe, Jim Keltner, and Ry Cooder did very interesting things together. Wonderfull examples of tunecrafting.

Tim O'Brien-Travler is my favorite CD. This guy is the whole package, singer, songwriter and great multi-instrumentalist. 
tubeornot2b

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2005, 03:40:06 PM »

To the Greg Brown Lover.

I first heard of him through the CD Going Driftless. It is a compilation of women doing covers of Brown's songs. They range from the known (Ani Difranco, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Shawn Colvin, Lucinda Williams), to the unheard of (Karen Savocha, Robin Lee Berry, Leandrah Peek). Unlike most cover compilations, this one is excellent.

The last three tracks particularly, done by the unheard of's listed above are my favorites. Savocha has a good catalogue of CD releases available at her site (Karensavoca.com). Here We Go is my favorite of her releases. Her partener on guitar is Pete Heitzman. He creates many interesting layers of sound and rhythmn behind her. Worth checking out.

Fergy07
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2005, 07:43:34 PM »

John Gorka, almost anything

He has to have one of the best sounding voices and plays some mean fingerpicking to some really beautiful songs. If you haven't listened to him you should try to. I wish he would put out a book on his transcriptions.

Andy

Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple
mazareth
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2005, 04:19:45 PM »

Townes van Zandt - Live at the Old Quarter 1973

I got this about 6 months ago. A lot of his standards had already been written by then. It was recorded at an Austin(?) TX club. It's an excellent lesson on how to hold an audience with just a voice and an acoustic guitar.

The Grateful Dead - Reckoning

A mixture of Dead classics, old country, traditional, and blue grass tunes. This has my favorite version of Bird Song on it. I get the feeling that the Dead were enjoying the more intimate setting during these shows.

Old and in the Way - Old and in the Way

One of the albums most hated by Bluegrass purists, but how can you fault any band with David Grisman, Peter Rowan, Vassar Clements and of course Jerry. This is the album that introduced me to Bluegrass back in the early 80s.

Tony Rice - Cold on the Shoulder

IMO, Tony Rice is one of the best all around acoustic guitarists. Clean tastful lead lines with a lot of soul. Check out the solo on "Wayfaring Stranger." It gives me chills every time I hear it!

Neil Young - Live Rust, Unplugged

The version of "Like a Hurricaine" on pump organ...

I could go on, but I'll stop here...   :mellow:

Mark

Mark from Wis.
Guild D-35
2004 Larrivee D-09

Martin LXK2
Epiphone Elitist '61 Reissue EB3 (for Sale!)
Birdsong Skyrider custom bass.
guitaradoptions
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2005, 05:04:10 PM »

Steve Stevens - Flameco A Go Go
Lead guitarist for Billy Idol, and quite the solo artist as well. This CD is amazing!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004NHAB/qid=1118250147/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/102-6481204-6813752?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

It wil blow you away!

jwieties
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2005, 02:24:53 AM »

Has anyone else heard Greg Brown? I'm finding a very small audience for him. Heartfelt playing.

I am a huge Greg Brown fan.  Seen him live in Boulder.  My favorite CD is "One Night".  It is a live performance and is simply brilliant.
-josh

Larrivee P-03MT
Martin 00
Epiphone Bluesmaster
AcousTronic

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2005, 01:29:28 PM »

Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds- Live at Luther College

If you've never been a fan of DMB you still might enjoy this.  The songs really take on a different feel with just these two on their acoustics.  It's generally a much more mellow vibe and I think Tim really brings alot to the songs on lead guitar.  Even if you think you'll hate it check it out anyway, at the very least you'll have one more thing to trash him about :P
Fave songs:  Jimi Thing,  Minarets, Two Step, Ants Marching, Deed is Done, Cry Freedom (that's alot of faves but it's a two disc-er)

I'm glad someone mentioned this... It has to be my all time favorite!! I didn't want to like Dave Matthews, but a friend of mine used to play this at work and once it sank in, I was HOOKED!! Dave is extremely talented as a guitar player and a songwriter, and Tim Reynolds redefines acoustic soloing. This is a definate MUST for any acoustic player!! I have learned so much from listening to "Live at Luther College"!!
pigtown

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2005, 08:19:53 PM »

John Gorka, almost anything

He has to have one of the best sounding voices and plays some mean fingerpicking to some really beautiful songs. If you haven't listened to him you should try to. I wish he would put out a book on his transcriptions.

Andy

Ask and ye shall receive.  Go to http://www.JohnGorka.com, then Merchandise:
73999-90117     The John Gorka Guitar Collection      $20.00 USD

John signs anything bought from his site with whatever you want him to put.   

My favorite album is Temporary Road, unfortunately out of print now.  But it can be found on-line various places.
Wife and I just saw him near Boston a few weeks ago.

Two good acoustic based albums by Richard Shindell are Vuelta (lates) and Somewhere Near Paterson.  Actually all of his, like John's are acoustic based.
fishblossom

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2005, 08:00:28 PM »

I'm a huge Greg Brown fan. The album "Further In" in my opinon is his best by far. It also feature Kelly Joe Phelps on slide. 
When my wife was giving birth to our first child we had Further In playing in the delivery room. It was on "Repeat" so we went through the entire album a couple of times. After about the third time through the doctor asked about the music. Who it was etc. When I told him the album title he asked "Isn't that kind of counterproductive?"

Larrivee D-60
Gibson Nick Lucas
Guild D-25 M
Fender Am.Delux. Strat
jambrose

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2005, 01:39:14 PM »

Greg Brown me too. I stumbled across his CD in Barnes and Nobles, and am very glad I did. I've got to get the CD you're talking about.

Joe
D-03
L-03
BlueWing

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2005, 08:13:07 PM »

Dave Alvin, Public Domain - not really underated - it won a Grammy for best folk album a few years ago  but its pretty much an unknown album.

Tom Russell - The Man from Who Knows Where - a good, ambitious (but flawed) masterpiece.

BlueWing
Larrivee SD-50
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2005, 03:14:05 AM »

Great thread.  Here's my pick (for today - ask me tomorrow and you get a different anser!):

Doobie Brothers - The Captian and Me.   4 or 5 acoustic songs on it and they're all killers. 

My favorites from this album are:
  • Black Water - the one that got on the radio
  • South City Midnight Lady- one of my favorites, I play it at every show
  • Clear As the Driven Snow - this song rocks, I'm trying to figure out how to do it solo
  • Broken Down Around O'Connelly Corners - great little Travis pickin solo tune

Oh, and of course, GD's "Working Man's Dead" 

I'm a Greg Brown fan, too.

and check out Pat Donohue's "American Guitar" CD.  Fantastic finger picking solos.

David

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
parsky1

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2005, 08:03:41 AM »

Alice In Chains- Unplugged

As with most of AIC's stuff it's pretty dark sounding, I find it even more dark than their studio versions.  Some interesting guitar work done mostly in dropped tunings.  I've always enjoyed Layne Staley's voice and this live cd really captures the emotion of it.
Fave Songs:  Down in a Hole, Would, Heaven Beside You (there isn't a track I skip)

Definately my all time favorite unplugged album.  I love playing the improv for Got Me Wrong.  They are all great tracks!

05 Larrivee LV-05 (L.R. Baggs Imix)
03 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24
99 Fender DG-24 MA
Mesa Boogie Road King II Head & Mesa Road King 2x12 Cab
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2005, 01:28:40 AM »

David Wilcox

David's albums are all great; incredible fingerstyle guitar (lots of open tunings), and also lyrics to match Dylan and Bruce Cockburn.

One of his best as far as acoustic playing (not covered up by other instruments) is his early album "How Did You Find Me Here" - every song on this one is a gem.

Next I would place his "Songs and Stories," a live album that captures David the way most people enjoy him; weaving the whole evening into an incredible journey through songs; you'll laugh, you'll say "a-ha; YES!," you may even shed a tear or two. Simply the best.

I've seen David live 3-4 times, the last time was when we brought him to our church for a concert this summer; as usual, great show.  The bonus was; I got to hang out with him after the show, and he wanted to play me some of his new stuff (3 new songs still 'in the works') to get my opinion as a pastor (the songs deal with topics like evil in the world, and our own inability to recognize ourselves  being intertwined in it).  A real privilege!  He's got lots more good songs in him!

Also...David was a Larrivee player for awhile (used on one or two albums, "Home Again" for sure), then he graduated to Olsons.  When we had him in concert, I was surprised when he pulled a Rainsong out of his case-he now uses those instead of his Olsons when he has to fly somewhere.  The bridge on the Rainsong has been modified and it has an elaborate pickup system in it - sounded quite good, and handled open tunings great.

1979 L-19
1992 OM-05    
2010 D-03 w/Italian Spruce top
2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue
2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak
Kipper

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2005, 08:40:26 PM »

I'm going to go with "unnoticed" and/or "you should check out" as a working substitute for "underrated"... I know what underrated means, but I'm taking the thread in the spirit in which I think it was intended, namely to learn about some new music. :rolleyes:

Luca Francioso is one of the most talented fingerstylists I have ever heard... I have two of his cds which he sold out of a shoebox at his show in Rome.  His concert was as awesome as seeing Tommy Emmanuel or Michael Hedges.  His website is all in Italian, but the word "download" is the same in every language.

http://www.lucafrancioso.com

And speaking of Michael Hedges, certainly he's neither unknown or underrated, but the album "Live On the Double Planet" rarely comes up, bowing to the excellence of "Breakfast in the Field" or "Arial Boundries".  It is GREAT and if you are new to him, it's a great first.  His "All Along the Watchtower" is what made me retune my guitar.

And one of the albums most often in my CDplayer and on my setlist when I play out is Jim Croce's postumous "Home Recordings," reminding everyone just what country blues is.  It's old reel to reel recordings Jim made at home spruced up by his son and wife.  It makes you smile to hear and taught me that there are more than three chords and twelve bars in the blues. 

Kipper :mellow:

Guild F50R
Larrivee Koa Parlor
give them a listen at:
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/5/kiphendryandtheonestarhotel_music.htm
Bluestem

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2005, 05:23:18 PM »

Richard Thompson's "Small Town Romance". Great thread: lots of things I need to listen to.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2005, 06:17:22 PM »

Big Greg Brown fan here too!
*NEWS*
RUN! DO NOT WALK and pick up the new Sexsmith Kerr CD. Ron Sexsmith and Don Kerr. Absolutley delightful blend of two voices, two acoustics and incredible songs.  Best thing I've heard in a long time. Like Beatles unplugged or something.
bhika
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2005, 06:25:28 PM »

"Friday Night in San Francisco"

Paco De Lucia, Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin.

jeff

Larrivee 00-03MT Forum IV  #30 of 29
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: