Newbe Here...

Started by Playme, March 05, 2004, 06:10:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello all, I just picked a new D 05, wow what a beautiful guitar!  I opted for the D 03 but got a great price on this one.  The guitar arrived set upped perfectly (for the average player),  I'm ready to customize it for my fit.  The neck is very straight, the string height is perfect factory set but I bit to high.  I found a high spot on the 4th freight and getting a string buzz on the D string playing on the 3rd fret.  Could I file that down a little or bow the neck a tad?  I really hate to do any material alterations.  I would like to lower the action all around as well.  If keeping the neck straight(factory) what is my safest clearances I can go.  I want to just cut down the saddle and leave the nut alone.  I don't want to over cut either.  I'm going to chang the strings to EJ26's.   If you can give me a measurement on how much to cut down and where the string when string buzz starts.  I feel the lowest the action you can get to where there is no buzz is where I want to be.   Hope to get some response from you pros out there.  

Aloha
Relative humidity 61%

Larrivee L-03BW (1 11/16" Neck Width) Just love this baby
Larrivee DV-05
Larrivee DV-03re
Tom Anderson Hollow T
Ernie Ball Music Man Signature Van Halen

Welcome to the club playme.If you know how to adjust the neck put a little relief in the neck then play it and see how it feel's.You can sand the bottom of the saddle a little bit at a time,take some off put it back tune up play.If you feel it need's a little more repeat until happy.DON'T TAKE A LOT OFF ALL AT ONCE.A little at a time.If you need help or doing this is too scary bring it to a repairperson.If non around call me at the shop check my profile for that info. B).Congrat's again on your new toy.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Welcome.  You will find this board very informative on all things Larrivee.  Stop by often.  
"I would never join a club that would allow me to be a member"
 Groucho Marx

Larrivee D-03 Blackwood w/ K&K Pure Western

Thanks guys.  I loosened the nut the nut cam loose in a qtr turn and the neck is still straight.  I'll keep it loose till the neck bows a little.  Like I said it is still very new and probably soaking up some moisture yet.  Is the pegs suppose to wobble?  Should be nice and tight.  The peg holes seem bigger than the pegs!

Larrivee DV-05
Larrivee DV-03re
Tom Anderson Hollow T

Time for Unclrob to chime in....he is the resident "guitar expert" as far as I'm concerned.  If he doensn't post soon...send him an email.  Very helpful guy.  
"I would never join a club that would allow me to be a member"
 Groucho Marx

Larrivee D-03 Blackwood w/ K&K Pure Western

Give it awek 10 days like that.What gauge strings are you using?
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

It came with elixers lights.  I put D'A EJ26s (11s).  

Larrivee DV-05
Larrivee DV-03re
Tom Anderson Hollow T

You might want to go up a guage to 12's
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

I have been playing my D-03r for a little while now and it still amazes me at the clarity of tone and the sound that comes from this instrument.  Mind you it's more than I thought I would spend on a guitar when I first bought my original guitar on ebay (what a fiasco that was).  I love my Larrivee and can't wait until I can buy or get a 10 series...

Welcome
Mike Jones

Larrivee D-03R
K&K Pure Western P/U
Seagull S 12+
Ultrasound Ag30P
ESP EC 100-QM
Webstrings Lights

...well its been day 7 and the neck is finally start to move.  I'll give it a few more days before I tighten the bolt and pull the neck back a little.  Then I can start to drop the action to my liking.   I'm wondering if this natural that Larrivee keeps the truss bolt loose because their necks are so straight.  Or maybe it was mine was a tad too straight.  This seem the only way to get the neck to bend.  The guitar came tuned a half step down, I tuned it to pitch so it would pull more on the neck.  The string buzz at the 4th fret dissappeared and looks like this will a another great sounding guitar by larrivee.  I'll move back to 12s and set the action...soon.  

Larrivee DV-05
Larrivee DV-03re
Tom Anderson Hollow T

The one flaw on the deck.  See that swirly scribble like pattern.  It's on the wood under the gloss.  Wonder how that could of been made.  Almost like someone was trying to get their dried up pen to work...heesh!  If a tool was to hit the wood it would definitely mad a deeper mark.  Maybe this baby was to perfect so they...nawwwww really you think???  Other than this, all other wood work is perfect!  I'm happy.  Tell me what you guys think of this.

Larrivee DV-05
Larrivee DV-03re
Tom Anderson Hollow T

Sure does look like someone was trying to get there pen to work!
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

You know how small that grain is.  Makes me think it couldn't be scribble.  Maybe the nut(center) on the disk buffer wheel.  But its under the gloss so who knows.

Larrivee DV-05
Larrivee DV-03re
Tom Anderson Hollow T

This is something i would be sure to let Larrivee know about. being that it's under the finish it must have occurred during construction so it would be covered under warranty...i sure hope it's something that can be removed and restored fully...

it does look to be someone trying to get a pen to write...the marks look too uneven and inconsistent to be from an electric tool like a sander or buffer...the person must have placed a piece of scratch paper on the sound board and scribbled on it not realizing the damage it caused...i've done similar things but not on my guitar thankfully.
keep us posted, good luck

poki B)  

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor

So guys, what do you think Larrivee will do about this.  Will they deem this guitar as a manufacture defect in workmanship.  Seems like a hell of a lotta work to fix this thing.  Strip the entire deck gloss off and  etc...  You think they will go that far to as replacing the whole thing?  Or atleast compensate?   How well do they stand by there workmanship is what I'm wondering.   Need your thoughts guyz.

Larrivee DV-05
Larrivee DV-03re
Tom Anderson Hollow T

i feel positive Larrivee will take care of the damage under warranty but as far as what they actually do to remidy the problem you would have to contact Larrivee...i'm sure Larrivee expects all their guitars to be in pristine condition when leaving the factory and will gladly remidy any problem that got missed.
poki B)  

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor

Well according to the website, I'll have to channel back through the dealer first for any warrant.  I can contact Larrivee and bring it to there attention.  The dealer is a good friend of mine, so I'll remain anonimous during the contact.  Unless Larrivee opens up to me.  Thanks Poki!

Larrivee DV-05
Larrivee DV-03re
Tom Anderson Hollow T