Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: End Pins... Or Lack Of  (Read 1908 times)
Imapickn

Ignore
« on: July 22, 2003, 11:33:06 PM »

My D-05 came without an end-pin. I wonder why they didn't put one on at the factory?  
  Is there a secret way of adding one?  Anything I should watch out for, or be careful not to do if I add one?
  Is my new L05MT that is on order, going to NOT have one, also?    
   Does anyone know?   Thanks....
DV09

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2003, 11:59:27 PM »

No Problem.. My DV09 did not have one either.

Just ensure you drill a pilot hole first  just slightly smaller
than the screw on the pin when you buy one.. I put a little piece of leather on the end as well to act as a washer sort of thing and so as not to split the finish on the guitar..don't try to screw it too tight. just snug is fine..

I drilled a couple of pilot holes in a piece of hardwood scrap first to get the right size and depth..and the feel of it.

go slow and careful and it is no big deal..

good luck.. :D  
Zach
Admin

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2003, 12:53:06 AM »

My new OM-10 didn't have one either.  I'm under the impression that Larrivee doesn't ship any guitars with end pins installed.

Zach

Zach
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2003, 01:23:12 AM »

Satin finish modal's have the metal one's before you srcew  it in put a little soap on the tip it will go in easier.PS remove the leather and use a piece of felt as leather sometime's damages the finish.As long as I've been dealing with Larrivee the gloss moda's haven't come with end pin's I believe it to be a hint to guitarist that they should put there butt in a chair and play.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Griff

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2003, 04:07:50 PM »

The main reason that many guitar makers do not ship their guitars with strap buttons or end pins is that they make the guitar vulnerable. If the guitar should slip out of your grasp and slam to the floor on its end pin, it could split the guitar body from end block to neck block. Without an end pin it would merely get a scratch and dent.

Griff

Larrivée: LJ-10 Custom (Gryphon)
L-10-12 (Bell Tower)
Parlour Koa Special Edition (Sweet Baby)
Gibson: 1951 Southern Jumbo ('Tiger')
GIGGLER

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2003, 07:47:06 PM »

I heard exact answer that Griff gave. My Larrivee doesn't have...and I set my butt into a chair and play. The guitar never leaves my house, anyway.

Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2003, 09:20:13 PM »

Butt it makes you sit and play ;)  

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Wiley Ibex

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2003, 04:10:41 AM »

Satin finish modal's have the metal one's before you srcew  it in put a little soap on the tip it will go in easier.PS remove the leather and use a piece of felt as leather sometime's damages the finish.As long as I've been dealing with Larrivee the gloss moda's haven't come with end pin's I believe it to be a hint to guitarist that they should put there butt in a chair and play.
Ouch; where's SpellCheck when you need it...  ;)      

Be that as it may, I take issue with the company's stance regarding not installing end pins (and strap buttons at the heel of the neck, as well) at the factory.

Is Larrivee' "hinting" to "guitarist(s?)" that they should put "there butt" (Where butt? THERE butt.) "in a chair and play?" Hardly. Democracy IS in trouble, isn't it? First it's the "Patriot Act;" now your guitar maker wants to tell you when to sit or stand...And it's disingenuous to suggest that Larrivee' is providing the buyer some arcane form of assurance that, when/if  they drop their instrument on that *exact* same spot where the pin would have been, they'll come away with only cosmetic damage. If they can predict not only *that* I'll drop my guitar, but *where,* then forget Miss Cleo; they should be running one of those psychic hotlines.  

I suggest instead that the company is not hinting any such thing. They are either just trying to shave off about $5 of cost/unit, or they are just indicating to their customers they don't care much about saving them the time, trouble, risk, and expense of installing the pin and a button. The simple fact is that the VAST majority of owners will choose to have an end pin and a strap button installed -- and they will be relegated to doing so at their own cost, and likely by someone far less skillful and knowledgeable than Larrivee's factory personnel. The day that I got my LV09E,  I remember noticing that it lacked a strap button at the base of the neck. My impression? Rats!!! Here goes another $5, and I hope the guy doesn't split the neck wide open installing the button...that and a keen awareness that my Taylor 814CE came with a strap button.

To better serve the needs and wishes of the consumer, Larrivee' should do the right thing by their owners and ship the guitars with an end pin and a strap button installed.  
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2003, 01:53:06 PM »

Sorry for my bade spellin.Just so you know if someone want's a strap button on there Larrivee I install them at no charge,to me its just good business.The problem that I see is everyone want's there strap button in a diff. place.As for the endpin,I really don't know why they don't install one butt it doesn't bother me.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: