Sc Morriss With Bw Guitar

Started by bevo, March 03, 2004, 04:19:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey SC,
I noticed that you have a Blackwood.  I was wondering, is there ANY way you can put up a soundclip of it?  i'm trying to decide b/t a D-03 Rosewood or Blackwood right now.  If you could post up a soundclip i'd greatly appreciate it.  
Also, I'm sure you made the comparison b/t a rosewood and blackwood before you bought yours, what made you want to buy the blackwood over the rosewood? Thanks !
wtb LSV-05

Bevo....

to your original question....no, I cannot post a sound clip.  I have neither the technology or the know-how to do it.  But I can try to give you an example of what my guitar sounds like...now this is MY guitar, I'm not sure if any of the other BW's are going to sound "exactly" like mine.  Like most guitars....they are probably quite different.  I did a very extensive post on here once that I tried to find....with no luck....in it I explained in detail my take on the BW sound.  I'll try to do it again for you.  

IMO, the RW is "boomier" than the BW, which isn't to say that the BW doesn't have bass....it has lots of it....it's just that it's clearer to me than the RW.  When you hit the bass notes on my guitar...you will feel it rumble throughout your body, but it's just not overpowering the sound like RW does.  My guitar really shines in the "mids.  Again, not to say the treble is muffled....it's not....but the mids just "sing" and "ring out" for very long periods of time.  the sustain on this guitar is amazing.  you can play lead runs and this guitar will be heard while the other guitars are still pumping out chords.  you know how some guitars really get quiet when you go to solo...not this one.  It still keeps the volume up there nice and loud.  this is a VERY LOUD guitar!!  it's louder than any Martin D28 I've ever played, but not quite as loud as the Martin D18, which is the standard bluegrass "canon" for the most part.  you could easily sit in a bluegrass jam with this guitar....well, I couldn't, because I don't play bluegrass!!  

to give you an example of the sustain, I'll tell you this.  You know how there are certain parts of your house where you like to play guitar the most?  Bathrooms are usually good for reverb, hall ways with wood floors, etc.  Well, in my house in the living room, right behind the front door is a little hallway...you can get the best "natural" reverb in this part of my house.  I look like a dork sitting there but it's just the best place to play.  Yesterday I was playing there.....I ended a song in E with aa nice, hard upstroke on all six strings of the E chord.  I let the guitar sit there and the sound of the chord rang out for literally over 20 seconds....I counted.  The clarity and sustain of the BW is really the selling point, over RW IMO.  RW is very muddy and overpowering on certain guitars, but with the BW, you can acheive a different kind of boom.  

Plus, BW is a little more unique, so you'll have a gutiar that is a conversations starter and will stand out from the crowd.....that's sort of cool to me.  It may not matter to you.

But there is a way for you to hear what my guitar sounds like, without a sound clip, which I have no way of providing.  Are you familiar with Sean Watkins??  He's the guitar player in Nickel Creek.  If you listen to their first album.....the guitar sound he is getting sounds, IMO, identical to my
D-03BW.  If I listen to this cd, close my eyes, it sound just like my guitar, only with someone much better than my playing it!  Especially on track 5...I think that's the right track....the song is called
"in my darkest hour" or maybe just "darkest hour".  My cd is a copy, and the guy didn't write down the songs for me. Also, I think the cd is self titled....if I'm not mistaken.  Take a listen to that cd....that one song in particular....and that is the exact sound of my guitar.  Now he is using all sorts of mic placements and things in the studio...and he is probably playing one of those Bourgious (sp?) guitars of his....and not a Larrivee.  His guitar probably doesn't sound like that raw either.  But the sound he is getting on that cd, is just what my guitar sounds like.

Almost forgot to mention....D'Addario EJ16's make a huge impact on this sound I'm describing as well.  Before I starting using these strings....my guitar was not as loud or full.  These are THE string for this guitar IMO.  Elixirs won't get you nearly as much volume as the EJ16's.    

I truly hope this helps you and I'm really sorry I can't post a sound clip.  I would recommend the BW to anyone....to say the least.  Hope you find the guitar that speaks to you.
"I would never join a club that would allow me to be a member"
 Groucho Marx

Larrivee D-03 Blackwood w/ K&K Pure Western

WOW I think that say's a lot...... B)  
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

THANKS SC!!!  I'll be sur eto look up the nickel creek suggestion....i'm just really torn b/t RW and BW right now b/c I'm not a real mahagony person.  Thanks again!
wtb LSV-05

QuoteThanks again!
my pleaure...
 Groucho Marx

QuoteWOW I think that say's a lot...... B)
Unclrob....

have you heard that particular tone that I'm talking about?  I'm being dead serious....that sounds just like my guitar.  Check out that song and see if it doesn't sound like a Larrivee. that guy is a really good player....lightyears beyond my own abilities.
 Groucho Marx

Thanks! I've been trying to decide between a D-03 mahogany and a D-03BW. Your description helps me tremendously. I love the sound of the Bourgeois on Nickel Creek's first album. It was a dreadnaught instead of an OM model he now uses. That really makes me think that this is the guitar to go with...the BW D-03 that is!

Incidently, the #5 track on Nickel Creek's self-titled album is "Reasons Why" and #6 song is "When you come back down". Is it one of those songs that you're talking about?

Jeff
Stanford PSD10 (best Martin D-18 copy out there!)
Stanford PSD20
Walden D552 12-string
The Loar LM-400VS Mandolin

QuoteThanks! I've been trying to decide between a D-03 mahogany and a D-03BW. Your description helps me tremendously. I love the sound of the Bourgeois on Nickel Creek's first album. It was a dreadnaught instead of an OM model he now uses. That really makes me think that this is the guitar to go with...the BW D-03 that is!

Incidently, the #5 track on Nickel Creek's self-titled album is "Reasons Why" and #6 song is "When you come back down". Is it one of those songs that you're talking about?

Jeff
I think the guy that gave me that cd may have even messed up the order of songs on there, since the first track is also the last track.  The song I'm talking about is the one that, I believe Watkin's is singing....some of the words are, "in my darkest hour, I will be free."  Know which one I'm talking about?
 Groucho Marx

Like many of you, I did the blindfolded test. Lined up guitars in the store and had the retailer randomly hand them to me.

My ears told my heart to buy (what turned out to be) the Larrivee BW and my wallet's opinion never mattered.

And I don't think I can improve upon SCMorris' accurate description....  
Larrivée D03-BW (New 3/11/04)
'84 Washburn 12-banger
'78 Guild Mahogany Dread
'75 Yamaha FG-260 12-banger

"A painter paints pictures on canvas. A musician paints pictures on silence." Stokowski

QuoteLike many of you, I did the blindfolded test. Lined up guitars in the store and had the retailer randomly hand them to me.

My ears told my heart to buy (what turned out to be) the Larrivee BW and my wallet's opinion never mattered.

And I don't think I can improve upon SCMorris' accurate description....
Which model do you have?  And which models did you do the comparison to?
 Groucho Marx

QuoteWhich model do you have?  And which models did you do the comparison to?
I was hell-bent to buy an Ovation on eBay but thought I'd make the rounds to the 'dreamstores.' I had Tacomas, Alvarez', Taylors and Martins put in my hands, all from a general price range. I dunno the model numbers. The "L-" model was outta my price range but the sound almost knocked me off the stool. I played the other Larrivees and that was it .

I bought two Larrivees in the last week--one, an eBay nightmare that I shipped back *unopened* 27 hours after I got it. I searched "Dogpile" with "Larrivee  +D03-BW," found a dealer who had one and snapped it up. A new one's on the way here from Notable Guitars (aka guitarcrazy, here on the forum). It should arrive on Thursday!  There's some serious synchronicity or karma or kwinkydink goin' on, i.e. that the dealer I found searching "Dogpile" is a member, here?!

Oh, and SC? It's a D03-BW. So now will you show me the secret handshake? lol
'84 Washburn 12-banger
'78 Guild Mahogany Dread

"A painter paints pictures on canvas. A musician paints pictures on silence." Stokowski

QuoteOh, and SC? It's a D03-BW. So now will you show me the secret handshake? lol
Sure, I'll email it to you!!

I guess I do sound a little silly at times describing my guitar...but I really like it.  My posts sometimes get too long when describing it...but I just try to help.   ;)  
 Groucho Marx

"have you heard that particular tone that I'm talking about? I'm being dead serious....that sounds just like my guitar. Check out that song and see if it doesn't sound like a Larrivee. that guy is a really good player....lightyears beyond my own abilities.".....Yes I've heard it.
Ditto what orsino said.....  B)  
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quote"have you heard that particular tone that I'm talking about? I'm being dead serious....that sounds just like my guitar. Check out that song and see if it doesn't sound like a Larrivee. that guy is a really good player....lightyears beyond my own abilities.".....Yes I've heard it.
Ditto what orsino said.....  B)
Cool song too.....Heck, it might be a Larrivee.  You never really know what someone is using in the studio.

Groucho Marx

QuoteInformative? Yes.
Silly? No.
Am I a Dork=yes :lol:
Do I care=no :lol:  
 Groucho Marx

QuoteInformative? Yes.
Silly? No.
Am I a Dork=yes :lol:
Disagree.

Were you a dork
(1) you wouldn't own a Larrivee
(2) you wouldn't love your Larrivee
(3) you wouldna had the sense(s) to choose the BW  B)

Still awaiting the D03-BW owners' secret handshake, lol.... FedEx *swears* they'll deliver Wednesday! But I work goofy hours (airline) and will probably have sign for it at their ofc here, Thursday. I think I'm the dork for not flying there (free) to pick it up ::sigh:: Confucius said, "Patience does not grow until it is exercised." Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....  
'84 Washburn 12-banger
'78 Guild Mahogany Dread

QuoteDisagree.

Were you a dork
(1) you wouldn't own a Larrivee
(2) you wouldn't love your Larrivee
(3) you wouldna had the sense(s) to choose the BW  B)

Still awaiting the D03-BW owners' secret handshake, lol.... FedEx *swears* they'll deliver Wednesday! But I work goofy hours (airline) and will probably have sign for it at their ofc here, Thursday. I think I'm the dork for not flying there (free) to pick it up ::sigh:: Confucius said, "Patience does not grow until it is exercised." Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....
Trust me.....I'm a dork.  But I do have good taste in guitars. <_<  
 Groucho Marx

SC, once again you earn esteem points, this time, for hurling blackened virtual banana peels toward any soundstage supporting Barry Manilow. Gag me with a frontloader. I'm still amazed that guy sells-out 5 nights in L.A. in some twenty minutes, as fast as James 'ya just gotta love 'im' Taylor. Yeesh.  And yet, the women fall all over themselves to see Manilow. I'll take Abba over that any day of the week.

One of the fretboard virtuosos-banjo and guitar--that is legend in my mind, is Roy Clark. a-MAZIN. (My grandfather was a pro banjo player and bandleader in the early '20s)  
'84 Washburn 12-banger
'78 Guild Mahogany Dread

QuoteSC, once again you earn esteem points, this time, for hurling blackened virtual banana peels toward any soundstage supporting Barry Manilow. Gag me with a frontloader. I'm still amazed that guy sells-out 5 nights in L.A. in some twenty minutes, as fast as James 'ya just gotta love 'im' Taylor. Yeesh.  And yet, the women fall all over themselves to see Manilow. I'll take Abba over that any day of the week.

One of the fretboard virtuosos-banjo and guitar--that is legend in my mind, is Roy Clark. a-MAZIN. (My grandfather was a pro banjo player and bandleader in the early '20s)
Yes, Manilow's music is good for 2 things: Inducing vomiting and running off unwanted -CENSORED--roaches...

And yes, Roy Clark IS the real deal.  

The banana peal thing made me laugh... :D  
 Groucho Marx