Fretboard Radius

Started by 12barBill, May 12, 2005, 12:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

At the risk of being tarred and feathered I would like some input from others on this :

How do you like the relatively flat fretboard of the Larrivee guitars? I play fingerstyle very little. Mostly strum and flatpick. Play up the neck a lot. Play a lot of barre chords. I really play all over the neck, not just in the first three frets kind of thing. A lot of flat picking up the neck and barre chords.

I'm finding that I'm not real happy with the Larrivee fretboard shape. I wish it had a little more curve. I wish I could put another neck on this guitar because I like it (other than the fretboard shape). I know it's a compound radius and all that, but to me it's just too flat.

Anyone else have a preference on this.

I will now duck from the flying beer bottles.  :(  

12barrebill (intentional misspelling),

I hate to think of you as being unhappy. I will try to help. Please send me your guitar.   ;)

I am pretty happy with the way my Larrivees play. Personally I find it easier to barre on a flat neck.

UNclrob has a beltsander. Maybe he can help.
Ron

I had a L-09 and the fretboard radius felt fine to me, but then I am not too picky regarding this. My other guitars with various radii feel fine to me also. If you otherwise really like Larrivee guitars you could order one with a custom compound radius (not sure you can do that however) or have the radius of the fretboard of an existing guitar changed during a refret. Ask the guitar tech to match the radius (radii) of some fretboard you like. Not cheap but not  that expensive either.
Regards, Rick

I know exactly what you mean and I once felt the same way about the Larrivee neck profile.  Now I love it.  I play with a flat pick all over the neck too.  I am learning to play fingersyle however.  I use barre chords a lot too.  I now find it easier to play on a slightly larger neck (thickness and width) than my old gibson.  Maybe its because my fingers are fat and stubby now -  when I was a kid they were slim and svelt.  

I think its just a matter of adjusting to a new neck profile.  

I do think that a good set up makes a huge difference.

But, if you remain unhappy, I'll see ronmac's offer and raise him $10.
Rob

Bourgeois Vintage OM
Larrivee D-05 MT