My Carbon Top Is Opening Up!

Started by laughingskunk, April 26, 2005, 03:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I know it sounds crazy but my CA Bluegrass Performer keeps getting better sounding each day. Im still the same old hack that I've always been so I know its not me. Besides my ears have been deafened due to too many heavy metal concerts(OK actually Air Supply and Barry Manilow). It sounds so pure of tone picking out some Gillian Welch or strumming Eagles tunes. Its almost hard to imagine ever needing another guitar(What's wrong with me?) Im sure other people feel that about there instruments. I tell ya its hard to stay away from  it-its weird I've never felt this way about any guitar. Is it Love? Patrick
CA Bluegrass Performer, Larrivee D-02 (sapele),  Martin LXK2 \"If we weren't all crazy, we would go insane"

Same thing with my laminated Yamaha.  :lol:  

Is the top warming up or are your ears to the sound of the guitars?

Andy
Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple

Okay Fergy, you're gettin' weird on us... I checked the patents (all 19 of them) and no where is this feature included in the CA Guitar design.  Now, it will change in subzero weather (-180) or baking above +180, which could affect the sound, yet I am not sure it would be referred to as "opening up"... perhaps melting.  ;)

You want a realistic take on what you hear, try Randy Thomas (Butterfly Kisses, cowritten with Bob Carlisle).  Randy was there at the start of, and with CA.  He provided a great deal of input on the design critique during the prototype period.

Correct you are, those skeptics that think a composite guitar couldn't possibly produce a "wooden sound" have not tried one.  I took my lesson from Bob Minner (guitarist for Tim McGraw).. The CA produces a Pre-War Martin sound in rosewood (C.O.T. model) or mahogany (Bluegrass Performer) as a method of their patented "Acoustic Tailoring" voicing techniques.

Put your solid wood guitars on ice.. With the scarcity of wood, your children will inherit a fortune in another 40 years.  CA may be on to something. <_<  

:blink: I'm getting weird? I'm lost on that one, all I suggested was that he was getting used to the sound of his guitar. Now I'm confused.

Andy
Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple

I've had guitars that sounded better to me as I got used to them, so I can entertain the possibility that it is perception rather than change. But I also accept what LaughingSkunk  says.
( LaughingSkunk is an experienced player - at least I've been seeing the name for quite a while!)

At the same time, who is to say that composite or synth materials can not change over time with vibrations? I'm more inclined to believe that they WILL change, like everything else on this earth.

Very cool, Skunk.

I think a lot of what is perceived as "opening up" is really the player's picking technique adjusting itself to the guitar's sound qualities, and it's not really a conscious process.

QuoteI think a lot of what is perceived as "opening up" is really the player's picking technique adjusting itself to the guitar's sound qualities, and it's not really a conscious process.
I totally agree with this and with what fergy said.  There is undoubtedly some physical property change with wood over time, but it pales in comparison to several things:

1.  Psychological response to a guitar over time
2.  Physiological changes to human hearing over time
3.  Long Term memory unreliability to 'remember' something exactly; whether or not you are Ollie North.

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Appreciate all your responses. Actually dont think its changing, just as I play it more I appreciate its sound. As Ducktrapper said, it can be a laminated guitar or even a Esteban. Cost ya two grand or $200, all in all its a guitar that just speaks to you. It may sound like crap to everybody else. But  you pick it up you know its the one for you.. may occur instantly or just appreciate it more over time. Am happy with my guitar and dont have GAS for any other tone, just maybe a smaller size body that I can play out with. Patrick
CA Bluegrass Performer, Larrivee D-02 (sapele),  Martin LXK2 \"If we weren't all crazy, we would go insane"

Ain't it great to fall in llove with a guitar all over again? I've had similar experiences with both my cheapie lam-top acoustic guitars. It doesn't curb the GAS urges though! ;)
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

Quote....it can be a laminated guitar or even a Esteban. Cost ya two grand or $200, all in all its a guitar that just speaks to you. It may sound like crap to everybody else....
No Estaban can "speak to me", my moron friend did buy one and when I picked it up moved the tuners the strings snaped and cut my forearm.  Heck the moron's real name is not even Estaban.  He just changed it and made up the Segovia crap to sell cardboard boxes. :ph34r:  
Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon

My Esteban did two....Oh ya I used a chain saw :D  
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place