Music That You " Dont Get "

Started by Caleb, May 04, 2005, 10:00:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuoteRahsan Roland Kirk
never heard of him

For me it has to be U2. I've tried to listen but I just find them irritating for some reason. I had been given 2 copies (from different people) of Joshua Tree(?) years ago for my birthday - I lent them out and never bothered to ask for them back.
Celine, well what can you say about her. I saw her live at a taping of the Super Dave Osborne Show when she was just starting out and everyone there was saying " Oh, if we had only been here last week we could have seen Randy Travis!"
Brian M.

Rahsan Roland Kirk is or was a wonderful sax player,the man could play 2 at a time,He did a thing that back in the 60's was called spoken word,It really was the for runner of rap.A jazz piano play named Gil Scott Heron{I'm not sure how he spelled his name} also did some spoken word, my favorite being the revolution will not be televised.Great stuff that not a whole lot of people know about.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

"For me it has to be U2."

This is a good example of the 80s stuff to which I referred in my post although not a hairband.  New wave I guess.  They came out when I was in high school and I never "got" them.  I do like a couple of their song but why they attained supergroup status is beyond me.  They appeal to and reach a huge group and have diehard fans.
More than I deserve.

I don't know how, but sometimes Rahsaan would get 3 going at once. I love the SEEKER from the Rahsaan Rahsaan album.
I too love the work of Gil Scott Heron. He still occasionally makes the rounds. I last saw him a few years ago. The voice, commentary and sense of humor are stll intact, even if the Midnight Band is long gone. Haldeman, Ehrlichman, Mitchell and Dean...

It was the 2 saxes and the 2 nose flutes that would floor me about him.I think I have of his nose flutes in a box somewhere.{Kirk]
Heron and band were wonderful in concert.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Well I like U2's latest album and their old raw stuff was very very good but in between Bono seemed to get caught up in too many political statements and looks.
Larrivee LV-03R
Martin DM
Yamaha FS-335

Actually U2 and REM are 2 bands that I don't GET either.  

I don't get:

The Rolling Stones
Springsteen
The Beatles - And all the bands that are now trying to sound just like them
Most Country
Jesse Mcartney
Why anyone would do a remake of a chipmunk singing "Mr. Lonely"

Quote from: Dr. Evil on May 16, 2005, 10:17:01 AM
Well I like U2's latest album and their old raw stuff was very very good but in between Bono seemed to get caught up in too many political statements and looks.

Actually the first song I heard off their new album wasn't bad, and I'm not saying that they aren't a good band (I'm pretty sure they are better musicians than I am), I just never understood what all the hype was about them. I still turn the station off when they come on.
Brian M.

Anything with these guys in it:

2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2

Quote from: HangFire on June 08, 2005, 10:25:12 PM
Anything with these guys in it:

Well, what about these guys then?

Zach

Avril Levine. My daughters are crazy about her. I don't think she can sing.

Deb
Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R

Well, what about these guys then?

LOL! i havent seen a pic of them for years. goofy?...a little. pioneers of a thriving movement?...absolutely! great musicians?...YES!

Deb she cant sing. I saw her sing the Canadian national anthem on TV at a NBA game, It sounded like she had no singing experience what so ever.

Anything by this guy...

2016 Martin 000-28vs 12 fret

2014 Taylor 814ce

2014 Godin Multiac Classical

2012 Gibson "The Golden Age 1930's" SJ200

2012 Squier Vintage Modified 70's Jazz Bass

2010 Gretsch Electromatic G5122DC

2009 Taylor GA3-12e

2004 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster

1981 Rickenbacker 320JG

1968 Yamaha FG150 Red La

Quote from: drathbun on June 09, 2005, 11:15:57 PM
Anything by this guy...

That was the title of the demo tape that Milhouse's dad had made on the Simpsons.  :GRN>

Quote from: jeremy3220 on June 09, 2005, 11:44:56 AM
Deb she cant sing. I saw her sing the Canadian national anthem on TV at a NBA game, It sounded like she had no singing experience what so ever.

True, But shes about the hottest gal on the face of the planet. :GRN> :SHK> :rolleyes:
2011 Larrivee D-03R JCL
2011 Fender American Stratocaster

I never understood how KISS, Aerosmith, or Guns N Roses could be so hugely popular. Most heavy metal seems like just so much posturing and posing, but then, it's just not for my taste.
--
mtnByker
Tacoma DF-21SB, 1 homemade F-Style Mandolin