Music That You " Dont Get "

Started by Caleb, May 04, 2005, 10:00:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

there are many popular bands, that while i know theyre great, due to their following, i just dont get the fascination with. ive tried, but theyre just not my style. or maybe ive just gotten too old. :P  whos your list of bands that you just dont get. here a few of mine:

dave matthews
john mayer
ben harper
jason mraz

and my "i just dont get it" band of all time:
steely dan

Quoteand my all-time "i just dont get it" band of all time:
steely dan

Wow, really?  Oh Man, I can't tell you how many times I've listened to Can't Buy a Thrill, their first album.  Awesome musicians on those recordings, jazzy arrangements.  I grew up on FM radio in the 70s and 80s.  Couldn't listen to the radio back then without hearing Steely Dan.  Denny Dias' guitar solo in Do it Again is one of my all-time favorites.  

wow, just shows how differently people are wired. Steely Dan for me - one of the top 5 acts of the entire 70's -

what hugely popular acts just left me cold?

the doors

the who

93%  of the Grateful Dead
(though I like Phish and The String Cheese Incident)

Bruce Springsteen

Fun topic idea!
Rob 

Larrivee OM-03R
Art & Lutherie Cedar/cherry Parlor (the best 200-dollar guitars in the world, made in Canada by real guitar craftspeople) :-)
Click to Read About Art & Lutherie Guitars
Peavey Generation EXP

Pink Floyd
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

QuoteBruce Springsteen

im right there with you on that one as well. his singing sounds like hes in some kind of pain or something. :lol: but he sure does have a following!

Ok...Ben Harper is amazing live, he really is...Dave Matthews has a really huge following, cause he also puts on an amazing concert...Jason Mraz and John Mayer, I couldn't really tell you(their following consists of little teeny boppers)...Back to ben harper, he is a really good songwriter, has a good voice, and can play a really mean slide guitar!  He rocks...Dave Matthews, meh, he got a little old a while back for me...but Ben Harper and Jack Johnson concerts are really great.  Steely Dan never did anything for me.  String cheese incident rules! especially live...now, for the bands or artists I don't get...

Anything to do with American Idol...

Enrique Iglesias(sp?)

Any other manufactured artist

Bands you SHOULD check out...Guster, Allison Krauss, Brad Paisley, anyone that plays a slide guitar,any local bluegrass festival

definitely one of those "so many people can't be wrong" type of things.  :)

To my ears, his drawl to me just sounds completely put on for show...
Rob 

Larrivee OM-03R
Art & Lutherie Cedar/cherry Parlor (the best 200-dollar guitars in the world, made in Canada by real guitar craftspeople) :-)
Peavey Generation EXP

All of it s**k's,except Mozart. :P  
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Quoteand my all-time "i just dont get it" band of all time:
steely dan

Wow, really?  Oh Man, I can't tell you how many times I've listened to Can't Buy a Thrill, their first album.  Awesome musicians on those recordings, jazzy arrangements.  I grew up on FM radio in the 70s and 80s.  Couldn't listen to the radio back then without hearing Steely Dan.  Denny Dias' guitar solo in Do it Again is one of my all-time favorites.
Oh, right, I forgot to mention music I don't get.  

Pat Metheny(nope, don't get it)
Kenny G
hip hop
rap
dance
Celine Dion

The worst for me though is anyone that can't just do one thing like, let's take for example, Jennifer Lopez.  

She can't just make records, or dance. or make movies or have her own line of perfumes, or her own line of clothing....etc.  She can't even do one of these well in my books but someone out there must be buying her crap.  

definitely second the Alison Krauss recommendation, but I think we're digressing from the more interesting meat of this, which instead of "who do you like" (another fun topic) is

"who's really huge but somehow you just don't hear it?"
Rob 

Larrivee OM-03R
Peavey Generation EXP

QuoteOk...Ben Harper is amazing live, he really is...Dave Matthews has a really huge following, cause he also puts on an amazing concert...Jason Mraz and John Mayer, I couldn't really tell you(their following consists of little teeny boppers)...Back to ben harper, he is a really good songwriter, has a good voice, and can play a really mean slide guitar!  He rocks...Dave Matthews, meh, he got a little old a while back for me...but Ben Harper and Jack Johnson concerts are really great.  Steely Dan never did anything for me.  String cheese incident rules! especially live...now, for the bands or artists I don't get...

Anything to do with American Idol...

Enrique Iglesias(sp?)

Any other manufactured artist

Bands you SHOULD check out...Guster, Allison Krauss, Brad Paisley, anyone that plays a slide guitar,any local bluegrass festival
im sorry man, but harper, matthews, jack johnson and ESPECIALLY mayer, they all sound like theyre faking it to me. plus, they all sing the same. kinda makes you wonder which one is ripping off which after a while.  ;)

guster is great. way unknown and way underrated. but thatss probably what makes them great.

allison kraus -- good stuff. she only hires the best musicians.

brad paisly can really play, but i dont like modern country music. so ive not heard much of his stuff. plus, all those guys sing through their noses.  :P  

I definately don't get modern country music.

QuoteI definately don't get modern country music.
That's because its not country music  :ph34r:  

Zach

yeah,
modern country music i don't get either. it seems like the cornier the better. that Redneck Girl song is a perfect example.

i would have to put Aerosmith and Yes on my don't get list.

i'd give Ben Harper thumbs up,,,and the Boss, i didn't get for a long time, and then i did. so go figure.

You are forgetting something with dave matthews, ben harper and john mayer...They can all write really catchy songs...dave matthews is probably the worst musician between jack johnson, harper and mayer...I can't stand to watch john mayer sing...he looks "special" when he sings...ben harper is a great guitarist...jack johnson is a really humble guy, and has really interesting guitar progressions...Dave Matthews has a really unique guitar style...I can see why you don't really like matthews...but harper and johnson are great musicians. Brad Paisley actually has a really good voice, hes the only country artist I listen to, he is an amazing guitarist, writes good songs...I think you are writing off some of these bands too soon, and aren't giving them credit for their musicianship...I personally listen to all kinds of music, and try to look for something good in all kinds of music...it basically comes down to...if the music is good or has potential, don't dog it...unless you can write a song even half as good as they can, I wouldn't be bashing these bands.  It's easy to critcize a band, but it's hard for someone to admit when a band has musicianship, but they just aren't quite their personal taste.  I would recommend that somebody listens to all music whether it's classical or country, good music is good music.

I'll go out on a limb too
   Jeff Beck, I respect the chops, but I don't get it.
SA

Quote..it basically comes down to...if the music is good or has potential, don't dog it...unless you can write a song even half as good as they can, I wouldn't be bashing these bands.
oh bologna... whos going to be the judge of whos song is better? thats not even the point. you seem to be taking it personal that i dont like some of the guy that you seem to respect and admire. thats not the point either. its a light-hearted thread about music you "dont get". ive listened to plenty by all of those guys and i dont get a bit of it. imo, its flavor-of-the-week, plastic music for college parties where overpriced beer and soulless music is the norm.  :lol:  

Gotta add my vote for Dave Matthews. Gravedigger was probably the worst song I've heard in a long time  from a supposed major artist. Pretentious and extremely lightweight, seems to me.
It took me a long time to like Steely Dan. Their first album or three are nice but it gets loungy and spotty thereafter.
ABBA
Yes
Genesis
Aerosmith
GFR
Chicago
Wilco (after Being There)
Billy Bragg (not including Mermaid Ave)
John Denver

I'd agree on the Steeley Dan mention, I'd add to that Supertramp. Never could understand why that band ever got a recording contract.

Andy
Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple

i was thinking Supertramp too! bleh.
throw Chicago on the heap! bleh.
Vangelis.
i'll keep my Wilco though. :lol: