Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Music That You " Dont Get "  (Read 7048 times)
hcole

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2005, 05:18:51 PM »

You are forgetting something with dave matthews, ben harper and john mayer...They can all write really catchy songs...dave matthews is probably the worst musician between jack johnson, harper and mayer...I can't stand to watch john mayer sing...he looks "special" when he sings...ben harper is a great guitarist...jack johnson is a really humble guy, and has really interesting guitar progressions...Dave Matthews has a really unique guitar style...I can see why you don't really like matthews...but harper and johnson are great musicians. Brad Paisley actually has a really good voice, hes the only country artist I listen to, he is an amazing guitarist, writes good songs...I think you are writing off some of these bands too soon, and aren't giving them credit for their musicianship...I personally listen to all kinds of music, and try to look for something good in all kinds of music...it basically comes down to...if the music is good or has potential, don't dog it...unless you can write a song even half as good as they can, I wouldn't be bashing these bands.  It's easy to critcize a band, but it's hard for someone to admit when a band has musicianship, but they just aren't quite their personal taste.  I would recommend that somebody listens to all music whether it's classical or country, good music is good music.
This is merely a thread about music that you don't get.  Nobody is "dogging" anybody or saying anyone is a crappy musician they're just saying they don't get it.  No need to try and convince anyone that such and such are actually great musicians.

I'd have to add Genesis, John Denver, Journey, REO Speedwagon and Chicago to bands/artists I don't  get.
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2005, 05:20:55 PM »

I don't get Handels Water Music. <_<  

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2005, 05:24:32 PM »

Yeah Rob, he's all wet imo!  :lol:  
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2005, 05:26:00 PM »

You are forgetting something with dave matthews, ben harper and john mayer...They can all write really catchy songs...dave matthews is probably the worst musician between jack johnson, harper and mayer...I can't stand to watch john mayer sing...he looks "special" when he sings...ben harper is a great guitarist...jack johnson is a really humble guy, and has really interesting guitar progressions...Dave Matthews has a really unique guitar style...I can see why you don't really like matthews...but harper and johnson are great musicians. Brad Paisley actually has a really good voice, hes the only country artist I listen to, he is an amazing guitarist, writes good songs...I think you are writing off some of these bands too soon, and aren't giving them credit for their musicianship...I personally listen to all kinds of music, and try to look for something good in all kinds of music...it basically comes down to...if the music is good or has potential, don't dog it...unless you can write a song even half as good as they can, I wouldn't be bashing these bands.  It's easy to critcize a band, but it's hard for someone to admit when a band has musicianship, but they just aren't quite their personal taste.  I would recommend that somebody listens to all music whether it's classical or country, good music is good music.
This is merely a thread about music that you don't get.  Nobody is "dogging" anybody or saying anyone is a crappy musician they're just saying they don't get it.  No need to try and convince anyone that such and such are actually great musicians.

I'd have to add Genesis, John Denver, Journey, REO Speedwagon and Chicago to bands/artists I don't  get.
How true! As a Dylan fan, I've been putting up with this for years. What's to get?  
laughingskunk

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2005, 09:02:44 PM »

Well I'm ready to play and go way out on a limb. Jimi Hendrix! I dont get him(unless I am in an altered state of conscious like I was when I had the flu-then he is far out dude) Led Zepplin-I really try to get them I bought there greatest hits compilation and checked out CDs from the library. I forced myself to listen over and over and it doesnt do anything for me. Also dont care for most of the Rolling Stones or The Who(though they rocked on the concert for New York-almost made me a believer)>well there it goes I aired all my laundry out and am ready to be spat on ridiculed, excommunicated and called the biggest nerd. Course my first concert I went to was Rick Sprigfield with Corey Hart opening so my taste can be questioned.

CA Bluegrass Performer, Larrivee D-02 (sapele),  Martin LXK2 \"If we weren't all crazy, we would go insane"
sublro

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2005, 09:27:55 PM »

Course my first concert I went to was Rick Sprigfield with Corey Hart opening so my taste can be questioned.

that's OK -

my first was Chicago and the Beach Boys. Even though I thoroughly enjoyed it, I'm still excused on the technicality that it was a date... afro

Rob 

Larrivee OM-03R
Art & Lutherie Cedar/cherry Parlor (the best 200-dollar guitars in the world, made in Canada by real guitar craftspeople) :-)
Click to Read About Art & Lutherie Guitars
Peavey Generation EXP
jmhyer
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2005, 10:44:54 PM »

Again, off the subject, but I'm not sure what "country music" is anymore.  When I listen to country radio or watch country music videos, I find myself extremely confused about the whole scene.  It seems that a lot of different music is lumped into this genre nowadays.  For example, Shania Twain is considered "country", but most of her stuff sounds more like "pop" to me...I don't care for 99% of it and I don't think it belongs on country radio.  Another example...Keith Urban doesn't really sound country at all...a lot of his stuff is pretty hard-driving.  But I love his stuff!  He's a great picker, singer, and songwriter.  His music doesn't really fit into what I would classically consider country, but he doesn't really fit anywhere else, either.

I can understand people being turned off to "country" these days, but I wouldn't suggest blowing it off completely.  There are a ton of great artists getting airplay in this genre...unfortunately, you have to weed through a lot of garbage to get to them.

Jerry  #698

2001 Larrivee D-09
2001 Seagull M-6
1992 Alvarez 5040
c. 1995 Yamaha CG-150CA
1998 A&L Ami
GIGGLER

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2005, 11:03:58 PM »

Phil Collins, Michael Bolton, Yanni for the most part, Senead O'Connor,

and the stuff my kids listen to....most of it.

Great thing....having so much choice. Take it or leave it.

But puhleeze....TURN IT DOWN when consussion from your car's stereo makes all surrounding cars throb within a block of you. They shouldn't allow it!!! There oughtta be a law!!!

Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.
Zach
Admin

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2005, 12:15:34 AM »

I know I'll likely be killed for this, and while I greatly respect their contribution to music, I just don't get........ the Beatles  afro  

Zach
rustychicken

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2005, 12:40:47 AM »

wow Zach! you are very brave.  ;)  

hcole

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2005, 02:13:31 AM »

I know I'll likely be killed for this, and while I greatly respect their contribution to music, I just don't get........ the Beatles  afro
I don't really get their early stuff but I do like a lot of their later offerings.  
drewnolan82

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2005, 03:01:16 AM »

Yeah I agree...I mean, the Beatles were only and still are the most recognized band all over the world...Man, millions and practically billions of people must be completley insane.  Come on, they influenced practically every musician post-beatles era...who do they think they are? Musicians? With Talent? I don't think so...I just don't get it...Catchy song after catchy song, and these guys still had a following?  
Zach
Admin

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2005, 03:06:50 AM »

Yeah I agree...I mean, the Beatles were only and still are the most recognized band all over the world...Man, millions and practically billions of people must be completley insane.  Come on, they influenced practically every musician post-beatles era...who do they think they are? Musicians? With Talent? I don't think so...I just don't get it...Catchy song after catchy song, and these guys still had a following?
Let's see, I don't recall saying the Beatles don't have talent, didn't influence people, or didn't write catchy songs.  Obviously you missed where I said that I respect their contribution to music.  It's simply my opinion, and you certainly don't have to agree with it.  

You seem to have a knack for attacking people's opinions, and honestly, it's getting old quickly.

Zach
drewnolan82

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2005, 03:13:33 AM »

Every great forum needs a great critic.  
            -Myself
Zach
Admin

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2005, 03:20:28 AM »

Every great forum needs a great critic.  
            -Myself
As many others will likely agree, this one doesn't.

Zach
hcole

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2005, 04:16:21 AM »

Why am I getting the impression that a village is missing their idiot?

Duck, hope you don't mind but it seemed fitting in this thread too.
parsky1

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2005, 04:37:04 AM »

I can see where you all are coming from.  John Mayer is an excellent guitarist, in my opinion, and both Dave and John have very unique voices.  Everyone has their own musical taste  B)   Keith Urban is one heck of a musician in country music.  He is one of the few modern artists today I actually like.  I used to be a big country fan, until country went pop.  I miss the country I grew up listening to, lates 70s to late 90s stuff.  Now I'm mostly a rock and alternative rock fan.

The music I don't understand is Pop!!!  Seriously, it is so fake yet appealing to all the MTV TRLers.  95% of them don't write thier own material, can't play an instrument, some(Not All) can't even sing  :blink:.  Paris Hilton has her own album coming out, what is the world coming to!!!!!!!!  "It's gonna be hot" Enough said on that one.

I would love to drone on about the other people in the bottom of the musical talent barrel, but I must go back to studying for a math final.   :(

05 Larrivee LV-05 (L.R. Baggs Imix)
03 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24
99 Fender DG-24 MA
Mesa Boogie Road King II Head & Mesa Road King 2x12 Cab
sgfletch

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2005, 07:01:05 AM »

I'm in the "befuddled" category as to the masive popularity of Dave Matthews and John Mayer as well.  I'll admit that John Mayer is a pretty good writer and an outstanding guitarist, but his breathy "am I singing or whispering" delivery just drives me up the wall.  As for Dave, he just sounds like he's got a pork chop wedged in each cheek while he's singing and I don't think he's written a decent song since ... well, actually I just don't get his stuff.

tubeornot2b

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2005, 04:28:49 PM »

gotta agree about how Matthews sounds like he is chewing a mouthfull while "singing".

To me, the latest worst, is the BORING (ala Joanne Worley - some will remember) Norah Jones.

Dianna Krall, what's all the fuss about? Granted the still alive competition in that field is non-existant.

Led Zepp, always hated Robert Plant's voice, but Page could play, loved his textural mixing of acoustic and electrics.

Eric Clapton, guitar God? Really? I here so many more inspired players, he just seems derivative.

Pink Floyd, noise that occasionally stops.

sayheyjeff

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2005, 05:16:21 PM »

gotta cover zach's back on this one.  I was ok with the beatles for a few years and then I lost the way around 1969.  others on my list include neil young and most certainly john denver.  and can't for the life of me understand what people see and hear in ABBA.  ... and I will again be amazed at the pandamonium that breaks out during the 7th inning stretch monday night at the orioles game when YMCA is piped through the stadium PA system.    

that said, a friend once looked at my record collection and said "... well there is sure no explaining (bad) taste now is there."

fun thread,

jeff

Santa Cruz PJ
Martin om28v
Martin 0018vs
Bourgeois 'Alan Simpson' Slope Dread
Martin LXM (on loan)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: