A lifestsyle... :lol: that's rich.

My little boy lost
He takes himself so seriously
He brags of his misery
He like to live dangerously

What's not to listen, already.

-nuff said.

A.Pagan (not a comment, it's my name)

To acoustic_soul...man, I think the main reason you see so much crap music in the Christian market, is because the companys and producers accept more music, and are more  accepting of crap music, because that's the best thing that comes through their office.  Truely talented Christian artists try to reach everyone, and try to get signed by big well known secular labels.  The Christian music market is surrounded by a teeny tiny bubble.  I'd really like to pop that bubble.

Money makes the world go round for all.Damn the rest and what it stands for.MONEY MONEY MONEY,hey there's a song in there somewhere :)

I Am my own higher power,no drugs just a little single malt scotch and a gin martini or 3 now and again. :P  
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Drugs. No drugs. That has nothing to do with it. Calling yourself a Christian is meaningless. If there's a sniff of easy cash from easy marks, the flim flam artists will give themselves any label that suits their purposes. By your fruits you shall be known and that my friends is that.  

Ducktrapper, give me an example of a flim flam artist, since you are so eager to point this out.

Did someone say "belt sander?" Is Rob starting that contraption up again?  :o
It must be for his work shop remodel since we all know that Rob really uses old t-shirts to polish guitars.
Just don't send them to him C.O.D., he does not like that! Rob, can I send whiskey to Florida without getting us both a trip to Homeland Security? :o

I hate to do this, no disrespect intended, but can we put out a call for the low-cal donuts?

Seriously, I think that everyone has religion. There are some great examples here already. But, isn't it a private thing?
A wonderful doctor saved my life in 1984 and he told me that it was "out of his hands." He is a devout Christian and I love him like a father. But, he and I have never really talked "religion," you know? There is a magic between us that I know how he feels and I really respect the guy.  
By the way, one of the best church services I've ever been to was at The Salvation Army. Talk about fellowship. I was honored to be there. More than 90 cents of every dollar given to the Salvation Army goes directly to the people who need it...very low administrative costs.
There is such a thing as a "Cowboy's Religion" and I like to think that sums up my feelings. But, thankfully this is a free country and we can talk about subjects like this without being shut down.

That's my quarters worth! Any eclairs left?
--Fred

Fred I've shipped via FedEx booze to some friends who work in a store in Nashville.
Low cal Doughnuts??????Is there such a thing and do they have flavor.
I have a friend whos a pastour,I love him like my brother,I won't convert or prevert him and he in turns won't convert or prevert me.
drewnolan82 sorry to say but most heads of Christian Fellowships I've meet in Tallahassee so far.I can think of 2 that don't come across as con artist.One I play guitar with and is my brother and his wife who is also a pastour,the other is a pastour at a small church that my wife and pastour's friends now attend.

I had my eyes open far to long......Jackson Browne
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Well, sorry that you feel burned by a few people that claim to be Christians.  I thought taylor reps were the only true con-artists... :lol:  

Hey, wait a minute...it's all coming back to me now.
Doesn't Taylor have big tent shows where they turn Larrivees into
Taylors?
Seriously, Rob I couldn't believe all the tent revivals I saw in Panama City last summer.
I bet it is a big part of the economy other than "Spring Break!"
Rob, you had that wrong? Aren't you saving your pastor friend from a life without
a good guitar? :lol:
Drew, come clean. Do you have some history with Taylors that you want to confess? :o
I need to know because I lust (yup, bad word I learned here on the forum!) for a Taylor
12 string once I grow up and save my Green Stamps. I have a friend who is a reformed Taylor rep.
He'll never know if I go over the edge and buy a Taylor. B)
Donuts...low cal would probably float away like the Astronaut Ice Cream!

Fred   :lol:
drewnolan82 Truth and truce :)  
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

Quotei think dylan is probably one of the most gifted songwriters that american music has every produced. but i think this is where his real gift is...songwriting. ive never been all that moved by his performances, but he does have passion and soul, which i'll give ANYONE props for. hes a very gifted man.
EXACTLY!  I've always adored Dylan's music, but always thought his singing . . .well, he is a great poet!

As far as George W., etc. -- all I can say is - I thank Almighty God that we live in the USA, where we can even discuss these things in a public forum!!
L-09

QuoteCalling yourself a Christian is meaningless.
ExCUSSSSEEE me?  I'm so sorry that you've never experienced being a Christian because I can assure you it is the exact opposite of "meaningless."  It's everything.  

Okay, I'll stop now.
L-09

I feel like i've created a monster with this thread. RARRRRRRR

no just a mouse with a megaphone.

Dylan is one of my favorite singers, he sounds like what he says.(he sounds like he means what he is singing,not just the way he says it, but his voice contributes to the sincerity) and he has great delivery.

wow, i've gone out for an artsy fartsy opening and get in, and this thread is a monster! :o  a pretty good one though.
i've been trying to insert Dylan in my posts so as not to travel out of the lines of the original intentions of the thread. i think his music, (and others) may be a good example as to why 'secular' music seems better than Christian music. past artists like Blind Willie Johnson, who was exclusively gospel, or Mahalia Jackson, Handel, Michelangelo, C.S. Lewis  (in other disciplines) etc. seemed to transcend the labels. i think Bob does that too. a lot of that has to do with talent, high quality standards, and hard work,  but it's also that sense of having a unique voice,,,and originality. Johnny Cash did this with hillbilly music (and gospel), so did Marvin Gaye. a lot of contemporary Christian music seems to follow contemporary pop and corporate culture, which can sometimes be fun (and transcended also), but ultimately pretty shallow. so you end up having things like Christian punk, Christian rap, etc. etc.  and none of it sounds very original, the way Handel's Messiah did.  some artists use that unique voice God gave em', use instruments and sounds, lyrics, symbols, metaphors, good poetry and make it happen. they are not too literal either (which is one of the biggest problems with contemporary Christian music).  there are a lot of old gospel tunes that i used to think were dreadful, that i now appreciate tremendously. i don't doubt they are great, just like a lot of Appalachian folk music that is gospel oriented.  i don't think they were copying a shallow culture, making what they did sound and read like a shallow culture. it somehow has a special feel. shouldn't Christian culture or whatever you want to call it, give out an original sounding music, literature, architecture, etc. the Bible has that quality, so do the cathedrals, and art of the Rennaisance, and Classical Music.

oh, the part about Falwell and Bush simply meant i don't relate to them at all. i doubt they would relate to me either.
and yes, it's great we live in a country where we can discuss these things.
uhhh, Go Nader!! :lol:  :lol:  

Man, I think a lot of really cool songs could be written from biblical stories.  I'm sure their are a bunch of them out there.  I think I'll write a song about esther, or maybe about some wierd description in revelations.  You see, those would make really great songs if done right!

QuoteHey, wait a minute...it's all coming back to me now.
Doesn't Taylor have big tent shows where they turn Larrivees into
Taylors?
:lol:  

I thind Rusty hit the nail on the head. When an artist, whether Christian or Secular, is trying to copy a style or latch to a trend rather than find their own true voice, the music suffers.

Regardless of the style, Dylan comes across as sincere...because he is!

Mark from Wis.
Guild D-35
2004 Larrivee D-09

Martin LXK2
Epiphone Elitist '61 Reissue EB3 (for Sale!)
Birdsong Skyrider custom bass.

Snowy - Sheesh! What is this the HARD OF READING FORUM?
I quite clearly said that <CALLING> yourself a Christian is meaningless. Not being one. Hitler would have CALLED himself a Christian. You're excused.

Drew - Name one flim flam artist?  Not my job. Are you saying everyone who calls themselves a Christian is on the level? Man, are you headed for some disillusionment.  

From Bob Dylan ...  

You must pick up one or the other
Though neither of them are to be what they claim

Yes, my guard stood hard when abstract threats
Too noble to neglect
Deceived me into thinking
I had something to protect
Good and bad, I define these terms
Quite clear, no doubt, somehow
Ah, but I was so much older then
I'm younger than that now.

Now the preacher looked so baffled
When I asked him why he dressed
With twenty pounds of headlines
Stapled to his chest.
But he cursed me when I proved it to him,
Then I whispered, "Not even you can hide.
You see, you're just like me,
I hope you're satisfied."
Oh, Mama, can this really be the end,
To be stuck inside of Mobile
With the Memphis blues again.

Father of grain, Father of wheat,
Father of cold and Father of heat,
Father of air and Father of trees,
Who dwells in our hearts and our memories,
Father of minutes, Father of days,
Father of whom we most solemnly praise

He got a sweet gift of gab, he got a harmonious tongue,
He knows every song of love that ever has been sung.
Good intentions can be evil,
Both hands can be full of grease.
You know that sometimes Satan comes as a man of peace.

They show me to the door,
They say don't come back no more
'Cause I don't be like they'd like me to,
And I walk out on my own
A thousand miles from home
But I don't feel alone
'Cause I believe in you.

Well, the moral of the story,
The moral of this song,
Is simply that one should never be
Where one does not belong.
So when you see your neighbor carryin' somethin',
Help him with his load,
And don't go mistaking Paradise
For that home across the road.

***LARRIVEE FORUM PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT***

just want to remind everyone, this IS the friendliest forum on the internet.  :)