Bob Dylan

Started by drewnolan82, May 02, 2005, 09:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorry Drew, I thought you asked for opinions! I, for one, thought this was a good thread.
Ducktrapper kind of shares my feelings. But, the forum is big enough for everyone.
--Fred

yeah, sorry Drew,
i thought this was a good thread too. and good natured. i was just trying to point out some of Dylan's music that reflected your question.
i went back and re-read the first post, and it really wasn't about music or who listens to what,,,but it's kind of natural to go there, assumptions i guess.

so to the original post. yes, around 1978 or so, Dylan professed to be a Christian and made a string of overtly Christian albums. since then, some as noted earlier say he's returned to Judaism, however, he's been fairly silent about his religious leanings for a long time, so, one is forced to look at his music if inclined, and it has always from the beginning through the present had spiritual themes.
don't know his state of mind, other than that he seems to be a private individual.
his book Chronicles, is a good read,,,very interesting observations and very inspiring too!

Well seemed like a harmless chat to me. I don't think anyone was ragging on Drew. Least of all me. Someone needs to be (not only born again but) grown up again.  ;)  

Ok ok, I know I said I wasn't going to post anymore, but I feel I must!  You know, there are a lot of people in showbiz that profess to be Christians, but they keep it on the down low.  It almost seems like, if you are labeled as a Christian, then all of your stardom will go down the tubes, and many of these Christians in showbiz, realize this.  It's almost true though, I mean, look at the people in hollywood that have stepped out and proclaimed being saved.  Their stardom and publicity almost changes instantly.  Mel Gibson is basically shunned in hollywood for making "The Passion of the Christ".  Their is a way to be tactful about your faith, but sometimes, you can have all the tact in the world, and people will still label you.  George W. Bush claims to be a Christian, he openly talks about his faith...but still, I've never once heard him talk about salvation or anything to that nature.  Why? Probably because if he did, he would get the nation even more in an uproar over religion and politics.  I think this world needs more people like John the baptist, living off the land, spreading the good word.  We have become way to politically correct, and are so scared of stepping on toes, that we have forgotten what this life is all about.  Sorry I said I wasn't going to post anymore, I've debated and debated over simliar topics, and sometimes it just gets overwhelming.  Anyways, I don't consider myself better for being a Christian, and I know that many people feel as though we come across as being "holier than thou".  Well let me tell you, I struggle with the exact same things that every other man struggles with on a day to day basis, the only difference is, I've accepted the fact that I can't save myself, and that I need a higher power(God) to hold me acountable for my actions.  I believe that if you are searching for the truth, that God will reveal Himself to you.  If any of you have any questions or anything, PM me, we can talk.  later

hey drew, i dunno if dylan is a christian or not. i would assume so, judging by some of the music he wrote. it doesnt strike me as a "phase" when you put your career on the line and make a huge departure from your usual style -- especially in a time where there was no such thing as "christian music", in the mainstream. back then you had church music and world music.

dylan may have very well turned back to his jewish heritage, but you guys are forgetting that theres a huge number of folks called "messianic jews" -- basically jews who DO beleive in Jesus, but they also completely appreciate and honor their heritage or judaism.

my guess....and this is only a guess. i bet dylan got turned off really quickly to all the phony televangelist types of the late 70s/early 80s. youre a bit too young to remember much about that stuff, but it got REALLY ugly and left lots of folks sour to the Gospel. lots of guys stealing money and pulling all kinds of shananigans to rip people off. lots of folks lost interest in "organized religion" back then and its been an uphill battle for real believers to overcome that negative stereotype left by those bums. dylan likely just didnt want to be associated with the mess it made. but, thats just my guess -- so insert grain of salt.

i think dylan is probably one of the most gifted songwriters that american music has every produced. but i think this is where his real gift is...songwriting. ive never been all that moved by his performances, but he does have passion and soul, which i'll give ANYONE props for. hes a very gifted man.

great thread, btw.

Hi Drew,

I wasn't trying to imply anything by my comments. I guess I should have left the personal philosophy and stuck to the music. Here in the Midwest where I grew up, religion is considered a private matter for the most part. People up here tend to shy away from those who are too publically or overtly religious. Every region has it's own culture I guess.

I'm glad that you listen to all kinds of music. As long as it's not racist, I listen to music for it's quality, not the underlying motivations--whether secular, political or religious.

No offense meant...

Mark
Mark from Wis.
Guild D-35
2004 Larrivee D-09

Martin LXK2
Epiphone Elitist '61 Reissue EB3 (for Sale!)
Birdsong Skyrider custom bass.

I like steppin on toe's.I don't really care what god they wish to worship.All I really care about is that your good people ie;honest,truthful,are you going to rob me or attack me for not believin the way you do.I don't steal,cheat or lie,these are laws I live by and I don't care if you christian,moslum jewish,budist or any other ist.I stop now.
I tried livin off the land once,very dirty business :) .
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Yeah, John the baptist lived off of locusts and honey.  That's some fear factor food for you!  I think locusts dipped in honey sounds kind of good actually.  I don't know if I would go around saying you like stepping on toes, that seems a little arrogant to me.  "Stepping on toes" is just simply something you have to do in order to get your point across, but if you enjoy it, or get off by doing it, that just seems arrogant dude.

good post Sound_of__,
actually i heard he had been associating with some prominent Hasidic Jews, which is pretty interesting. regardless, in his personal life, he's pretty private, but i can't help but think that his music was ever really in a 'phase' either. my guess is toward his privacy is he probably doesn't want to be pigeon-holed or defined by what others think a Christian, Jew, etc etc. is. not to speak of plain ol' privacy. i doubt it's because it would hurt his career. a lot of people have great careers because they profess to be Christians.
we've all got our reasons as to why or why not we profess things.
i'm a Christian myself, but i usually find myself explaining that i don't practice what Jerry Falwell does or George W. Bush for that matter. and though it's true, that's still a pretty lame answer ;)  it's easy to get into a quagmire over these things.
back to poetry and music :huh:  

Jerry Falwell and George W. Bush are just radicals of their faith.  Jesus was a radical, the government didn't accept him, the church didn't accept him and a lot of other people didn't accept them.  If we all just sit back, picking and choosing what we want to believe in a certain religion, how are we being effective?

The best way to be effective? Be yourself.Ok it can get ruff but its fun and I manage to keep smilin,most of the time at least.

EVERYBODY Beatle song time.......
ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE....ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE.....

Obla de obla da :D  
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

QuoteThe best way to be effective? Be yourself.
i agree with being true to yourself, but you made it sound like you enjoy upsetting ppl or something? if thats true, i dont get that at all. granted, sometimes my beliefs will upset someone, but it would be uncool to try to upset someone for kicks. youve always struck me as a happy-go-lucky kind of person?

Sometimes upsetting or jarring someone can bring on a great discussion,HMMMMM. B)  
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

QuoteSometimes upsetting or jarring someone can bring on a great discussion,HMMMMM. B)
or get a thread closed.... :(  

OK ya that happins every once in a while but we can Duck and a couple of others,ok me too.But in general we never really get that far.Besides I can't dance so I'm always steppin on someone's toe's. :D  
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

*** rant ahead ***

this thread reminds me of the problem im having with music lately, as a christian. as a christian, i seek music that will lift me up, but at the same time not slam my beliefs. so much music does slam my world view, both politically and spiritually. when that happens, i find myself with a bit of a conflict. i still "like" the music, but i dont like to support a worldview that i find either problematic or immoral -- or both.

BUT.... at the same time there is so much junk being peddled in the "christian" store that it bums me out to waste my time and money trying to find something of substance. perfect example, i hear folks rave on about "shane and shane"....and about how great they are on acoustic guitar, blah, blah, blah... well, i went and got just about every cd they put out and im completely not getting what all the hype was about. i heard maybe two or three cool licks the whole time (nothing amazing or even close, really imo) and the whining vocals, i just couldnt get used to. there was nothing "catchy" at all on any of the cds. i could hardly tell when one song ended and a new one began. it did boost my prayer life though.... i was saying, "Lord, please make it stop..." this happens MOST of the time when i try to go the "christian music" route.

so, these days, im most searching out solo acoustic guys who just play the guitar and sing very little. at least then, if theyre beliefs are somewhere out in left field, i likely wont know about it.

OK time to ponch the_sound_of_acoustic_soul. ;)
Do your own thing and inspire yourself.So much of most things in the real world aren't worth getting.SO

SMILE AND BE HAPPY...LET THEM THINK WHAT THEY WANT...Pat your head and rub you belly and fart into the wind.....Take what you need and leave the rest. :D  
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
rpjguitarworks

QuoteOK time to ponch the_sound_of_acoustic_soul. ;)
Do your own thing and inspire yourself.So much of most things in the real world aren't worth getting.SO

SMILE AND BE HAPPY...LET THEM THINK WHAT THEY WANT...Pat your head and rub you belly and fart into the wind.....Take what you need and leave the rest. :D
:lol:  theres that belt-sander totin', donut eatin' unclrob ive come to know and love! :lol:  

Man, I just went to shane & shanes website...I heard the whining...Why is this so typical among Christian artists? Is it the placebo effect?  Maybe it's all psychological...Or maybe the reason why secular music is so good, is the use of psychedelics??  Or maybe(just hear me out)it has something to do with this...Most geniuses or uber-talented people, rely on their own ability, and are almost more skeptical when it comes to believing in a higher power, because they can do so many wonderful and amazing things on their own.  It's just a theory.  Maybe the extra talented people are harder eggs to crack?  I'm really going out on a limb here, maybe it's the caffeine talking.  Phil Kaeggy is really amazing, but when he sings, it sounds so cheezy...he just needs to stick to solos...I really like the band lifehouse, they have really cool lyrics, the lead singer use to lead a praise and worship band at some church called The Vine, I believe?  POD is another great band, the lead singer is a Christian, I use to know him when he wasn't famous, and use to play small festivals, like cornerstone in bushnell Illinois, close to where I'm from!  It seems to me...like most of the really great Christian bands cut into the secualar market, cause they appease both audiences lyrically and audibly.  Steven Curtis Chapman is a great Christian musician, once again, he broke into the secualar market...Most Christian bands, I would say, wouldn't appeal to both parties, just because, they are so cheezy and rediculous sounding.

yeah, i just cant take the singing style of shane and shane. they are great guys, and i actually now feel bad for publicly slamming them, but i just dont like the style. i should have left it at that, but my opinions get the best of me at times. i dont know why most "secular" acts seem better. i guess they just do their thing and if it works, great, and it not, great. sometimes they do just seem more "real".  if you want to catch a great christian singer/musician, check out kevin max. the guy is great.