A/b-ing 3 Ls

Started by wyodeb, April 29, 2005, 01:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I just had the chance to spend time with 2 L-09s (walnut and flamed maple) and an L-05MT. Played for 5 hours until the clock (and my fingers) told me to stop.

Initial impressions:

Anyone who debates whether wood choice really makes a difference should play these 3 back to back. They each have their strengths and weaknesses, but they are very different from each other. All have Dean Markley Alchemy GoldBronze strings. The walnut and maple have tusq saddles, the mahogany has bone.

I didn't like the maple as much as I thought I would. I was expecting it to sound more like Pete, or my husband's Guild. It is a beautiful guitar, with the prettiest silking in a top I've ever seen, and beautifully matched curly back & sides. It was a bit older--gloss neck & headstock, but not as old as my koa OM (now Mike's). It had a somewhat twangy (for lack of a better word) tone. A bit lacking in bass and treble. Nice midtones. Sounded a little muddy when strummed--very loud, but not easy to pick out individual notes. Would probably cut through a group of guitars, but not blend in as well as I want.

I liked the walnut more than I thought it would. It is plainer in appearance than either of the other Ls, but still very pretty. The tone was quieter than the maple, but still plenty loud. Very, very balanced--bass to treble, and up & down the fretboard. More like the koa OM without a little of the brightness I was trying to get away from. It did remind me of my walnut dread, which has always been one of my favorite guitars. It sounded good strummed, as well as played fingerstyle. Not quite as much punch as Pete, but sometimes that is a good thing. Especially at a healing service...

It's funny, after going back & forth between the 2 guitars for hours, I took out the mahogany, and was surprised at how good and mellow it sounded. Soothing. Pleasing. If I didn't want a guitar that would play well in a group, and was just looking for something to play by myself, I would probably keep it. I think it was Don who said it would grow on me. It has.

Unclrob thought it would be good to post this review, so here it is. All opinions are my own, and your mileage may (and probably will) vary. :)

Deb
Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R

Like I said a great Review.Thanks. :)  
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

that is a nice review. sounds like the mahogany top is creeping up on you a little. i would like to try walnut and maple sometime.
i really like having a 'main' (l-09) guitar and a mahogany top. of course, i'd like a few others (00 or 000-50), but those are two pretty good flavors in the spectrum.
i bet that L-05mt would play pretty good in a group, they can get pretty darn loud......and mellow :D  

Thanks Deb. Very good review. My instrument budget is maxed out so I'm not in the market right now but I  miss the comfort of the L body and may spring for one somewhere down the road. This kind of info is very helpful.