Larrivee Customs - Available Top Woods...

Started by Escalibore, April 29, 2005, 09:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuoteQUOTE (Escalibore @ Apr 29 2005, 04:07 PM)
I have no problem with Larrivee's decision to use Sitka Spruce only. I'm sure it's a business decision that they felt they had to make. I just wish there were more custom options that I'd gladly pay for.

Brett 

I think Larrivee is trying to introduce new models and expand production and build on the expertise at the new Oxnard facility. Once that expertise is built up again, then I expect that more custom options will be available again, as they once were.
-Randy R

This sounds reasonable. I hope you're right, Randy.
* Larrivee: Forum 3; Italian Spruce with Rosewood back and sides
* Martin: OM-42
* Martin: Custom Maury Meuhlheisen D-35
* Martin: 000-17 SM
* Emerald: X7/OS Custom
* Gibson: Les Paul

While I haven't talked to Jean or anyone in the Larrivee family, it appears to me that Larrivee made a decision to focus most of their energy on high quality instruments at an attractive price point and to increase production. The energy and staff to do both a larger variety of instruments (with limited sales) and increase production isn't there.

We'll see whether or not the mandolin sales justify a divergence.

There have been cries for various types of instruments in this forum that attracted a great deal of comment. One I remember distinctly was for cedar topped walnut. But then, two LV-10 walnuts/cedar came up for sale last year, and they didn't sell.
I think you hit the nail on the head.  For the most part whenever anyone does any talking about wanting a custom instrument they always talk in terms of some custom 03 type guitar.  I mean who wouldn't love a custom guitar for less than $1000, but get real it's not cost effective.  I'm amazed that they made the forum guitar for us.  I have a feeling if those cedar/walnuts were L-03's then everyone and their pet duck would have wanted one.
Pet Duck? Hmmm. I could go all "Canadian" on you in about a second. Your sweater comes over your head and whomp over the head with a lead filled snow shoe! ;)

I'm dying here. For some reason, just as some people CANNOT understand how anyone could PREFER a Larrivée to many other MORE EXPENSIVE guitars, the same sort can't quite ACCEPT that just maybe the guy making the guitars, actually KNOWS what he's doing. I'm going to go out on a limb here and bet that Mr. Larrivée knows MORE about WOOD than his detractors.
BTW - I want an 01 level dreadnaught with a mastergrade Adirondack top, brazilian rosewood B&S and golden case. What the **** is wrong with a company who won't build it for me? Don't I matter?  :ph34r:        

While I haven't talked to Jean or anyone in the Larrivee family, it appears to me that Larrivee made a decision to focus most of their energy on high quality instruments at an attractive price point and to increase production. The energy and staff to do both a larger variety of instruments (with limited sales) and increase production isn't there.

There have been cries for various types of instruments in this forum that attracted a great deal of comment. One I remember distinctly was for cedar topped walnut. But then, two LV-10 walnuts/cedar came up for sale last year, and they didn't sell.
I think you hit the nail on the head.  For the most part whenever anyone does any talking about wanting a custom instrument they always talk in terms of some custom 03 type guitar.  I mean who wouldn't love a custom guitar for less than $1000, but get real it's not cost effective.  I'm amazed that they made the forum guitar for us.  I have a feeling if those cedar/walnuts were L-03's then everyone and their pet duck would have wanted one.
Pet Duck? Hmmm. I could go all "Canadian" on you in about a second. Your sweater comes over your head and whomp over the head with a lead filled snow shoe! ;)

I'm dying here. For some reason, just as some people CANNOT understand how anyone could PREFER a Larrivée to many other MORE EXPENSIVE guitars, the same sort can't quite ACCEPT that just maybe the guy making the guitars, actually KNOWS what he's doing. I'm going to go out on a limb here and bet that Mr. Larrivée knows MORE about WOOD than his detractors.
BTW - I want an 01 level dreadnaught with a mastergrade Adirondack top, brazilian rosewood B&S and golden case. What the **** is wrong with a company who won't build it for me? Don't I matter?  :ph34r:
Hey duck you forgot about the abalone purfling on that 01. ;)  

Oh yeah the baloney purfling fer sure! Thought that went without saying.  :lol:  

No one is questioning Mr. Larrivee's knowledge of wood.  I simply question his decision to offer only Sitka tops.

My gut feeling....we will soon see (within 5 years) Larrivee offering a variety of topwoods.  I personally wrote Larrivee on this topic (not that I'm gonna have that big an influence), but I bet when others start voicing their desire for Larrivee guitars to offer more of a variety in tonewoods, it'll be made available.  

At least I hope.

Ken