Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your Last Guitar Purchase  (Read 2722 times)
SlowFingers

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2005, 12:33:58 AM »

Thanks for the replies. I guess I should explain why I am asking. My wife is apparently a lot less lenient when it comes to things like this than many of yours (or you are single). She does not get the whole GAS thing at all. I have a similar addiction to replacing my golf clubs (my golf bag has a revolving door policy). Anyway, she will say something like "Why do you need a new guitar (or putter, or driver)...the one you have is fine." I have a suspicion that, if I ever manage to get her to let me buy another guitar, it may well be my last. As for my playing style, I do not yet have one. So, I would need a guitar that is versatile enough to handle most styles reasonably well.

I definitely like dreads. The guitars I favor are the Breedlove Revival DR and DM, and the Larrivee D-05. The only somewhat smaller guitars I have cared for are some of the Taylors (214, 314, etc.), and those are not really small at all.

My Guitars
Larrrivee OM-03
Seagull M6 Gloss
http://photos.yahoo.com/rttadlock
SlowFingers

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2005, 12:47:02 AM »

Impossible question. Best all roud instrument I've played is a Huss & Dalton CM. You could buy a half of one for 1500. Second choice is same as Randy, some flavor of an L09.
Strange. I have not seen anything by H&D that even closely approached the half of $1500 range. I see a bunch that are twice $1500, but nothing for under $1000.

My Guitars
Larrrivee OM-03
Seagull M6 Gloss
jmhyer
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2005, 01:20:26 AM »

Hey Slow,

Back up and read jimmyd's post again.  ;)

Jerry  #698

2001 Larrivee D-09
2001 Seagull M-6
1992 Alvarez 5040
c. 1995 Yamaha CG-150CA
1998 A&L Ami
jimmyd
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2005, 01:22:34 AM »

Impossible question. Best all roud instrument I've played is a Huss & Dalton CM. You could buy a half of one for 1500. Second choice is same as Randy, some flavor of an L09.
Strange. I have not seen anything by H&D that even closely approached the half of $1500 range. I see a bunch that are twice $1500, but nothing for under $1000.
I meant that you could buy 1/2 of a Huss & Dalton for 1500.00. They are in the 3K range + or - as you noted.
SlowFingers

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2005, 03:27:08 AM »

I see that now. I just need to get a stronger prescription on my eye glasses, I guess.  :D  

My Guitars
Larrrivee OM-03
Seagull M6 Gloss
kwakatak
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2005, 04:56:43 AM »

I feel for you guys with your strong GAS urges. I'd be in your shoes too if I felt like sleeping on the couch every night instead of in bed next to my dear sweet wife! :P

Neil

2009 Martin D-16GT

2006 Larrivée OM-03R

1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish

1989 Kramer 610

1973 Takamine F-360 ("Martin Lawsuit" all-laminate D-28 clone)
mazareth
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2005, 01:31:02 PM »

As of now my last dread will be my D-09. I've currently got a deal on a small body maple b/s guitar in the works.

If I was to get another higher end guitar, I'd probably let my D-03R go to justify that purchase. From the standpoint of playing time, I really can't see having more than 3 guitars around.

I recently had a conversation with a touring acoustic guitarist who told me that if an acoustic guitar sits for a couple of months it starts to stiffen up. This guy tours w/only 2 guitars,  an early 60's Gibson J200 and a Charles Fox custom rosewood jumbo.

Which is not to say that if I had the income, I wouldn't have more guitars around!  <_<  

Mark

Mark from Wis.
Guild D-35
2004 Larrivee D-09

Martin LXK2
Epiphone Elitist '61 Reissue EB3 (for Sale!)
Birdsong Skyrider custom bass.
HangFire
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2005, 01:47:11 PM »

Last guitar hmm... Larrivee 03 Blackwood Jumbo! afro  

2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2
bing4sons
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2005, 02:44:35 PM »

My wife is apparently a lot less lenient when it comes to things like this than many of yours (or you are single). She does not get the whole GAS thing at all. I ...Anyway, she will say something like "Why do you need a new guitar (or putter, or driver)...the one you have is fine." I have a suspicion that, if I ever manage to get her to let me buy another guitar, it may well be my last.
Fairly recently, I was thinking about an even swap for a guitar I currently have.  My wife got upset about that, which I couldn't understand, since I wouldn't be spending any money.  However, I think she is just on edge from the guitar buying/selling I've done over the last 1 1/2 years.  She sent a very clear signal (even I couldn't miss it  :unsure: ).  She eventually relented on the trading thing, but I still don't think it would have strengthened the trust for me to do the trade.  Ultimately, I decided not to do the trade, for other reasons, even though my wife's feelings definitely entered into the equation.

I won't even bring up buying another guitar for a while (unless I come into some unexpected wealth  :D ).

Bing

Larrivee J-09FM
Taylor 814ce
Music Man Axis SS w/piezo
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2005, 02:25:02 PM »

I had similar marital/GAS problems. To paraphrase   another Larrivista ...

Well I love her
But I love to pick
I spend all day out on this guitar
And hell is all I catch
Today she met me at the door
Said I would have to choose
If I bought that Larrivée today
She'd be packin' all her things
And she'd be gone by noon

Well I'm gonna miss her
When I get home
But right now I'm pickin' on this guitar
And I'm sittin' in the sun
I'm sure it'll hit me
When I walk through that door tonight
That I'm gonna miss her
Oh, lookie there, I've got a new lick

:lol:

jimmyd
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2005, 02:46:50 PM »

I had similar marital/GAS problems. To paraphrase   another Larrivista ...

Well I love her
But I love to pick
I spend all day out on this guitar
And hell is all I catch
Today she met me at the door
Said I would have to choose
If I bought that Larrivée today
She'd be packin' all her things
And she'd be gone by noon

Well I'm gonna miss her
When I get home
But right now I'm pickin' on this guitar
And I'm sittin' in the sun
I'm sure it'll hit me
When I walk through that door tonight
That I'm gonna miss her
Oh, lookie there, I've got a new lick

:lol:
Good tune but,,,,,Fess up duck, you bribed your gal with a Larrivee parlor to keep her happy. You were a wise man to pick a picker as a partner.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2005, 02:58:04 PM »

Yes true but after 20 odd years of marriage (with the emphasis on odd) I have some insight into (some) women and owning more than one guitar. In getting a new gal, I had my priorities straight. She can put up with me and my (bad) habits. She's a lovely girl and she doesn't own a Taylor.  afro
Hey and I put up with her dog, don't I?    :D  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: