Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rainsong  (Read 1060 times)
laughingskunk

Ignore
« on: April 16, 2005, 07:25:03 PM »

I've having GAS again lately thinking about a small body guitar with a little wider neck. Been checking out Rainsong website and their new Advanced Series has intrigued me. Appears to be OM size with a cutaway and a 1.75 nut. They are less expensive than their Projection series and in a first for carbon guitars have a truss rod. They dont come with a hard shell case but have a gig bag. Amazing for me am intrigued by the fact have a cutaway and am even thinking of one with electronics for playing out (Fishman Prefix).  Oh no I sound like an advertisement. I tell ya its tough I do like the look and tone of Larrivee, but theres just something about that ole carbon. But do I really need two of them(Has me thinking of trading or selling the CA for the Rainsong-due to its electronics and smaller body size)The only problem is I love my CA-its just a plain incredible sounding/ easy playing guitar.  Oh well guess is fun situation to be in. While I'm at it any of our wonderful dealers here carry Rainsong? (I didnt think so but....) Patrick

CA Bluegrass Performer, Larrivee D-02 (sapele),  Martin LXK2 \"If we weren't all crazy, we would go insane"
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2005, 07:34:32 PM »

Patrick having had both CA and a Rainsong in shop at the same time once,not now.The CA had a much bettet sound.If I'm not mistaken the Rainsong was all Graphite were the CA had the Carbon fiber back,sides and neck.
On a sidenote CA has gone into revamp mode and won't be shipping for a while.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
laughingskunk

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2005, 07:51:06 PM »

Thanks for the quick reply. When I played the CA and Rainsong at Elderly's, I did prefer the CA though Rainsong had a nice clean sound. Just have been jonesing for a smaller body guitar with wider neck. Planing soon on doing open mike so like fact that Rainsong has electronics and is relatively expensive.(at least in Advanced series)No regrets since getting CA so thinking about going carbon/graphite route again. But have long time to decide cant get till near Christmas time. Who knows what will end up with, thats fun part of GAS.  

CA Bluegrass Performer, Larrivee D-02 (sapele),  Martin LXK2 \"If we weren't all crazy, we would go insane"
philster

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 07:54:20 PM »

I live in the city where rainsongs are made.  I honestly prefer the CAs for tone.  I too like the concept of all graphite from a "don't you worry 'bout a thing" perspective.  But sharks on the fretboard? that aren't oriented horizontal in the playing position?  Not to mention they aren't in hawaii anymore :P

If they've come out with a new model or approach, I'll definitely have to try it.  Not sure about the need for a truss rod  <_<

Hey rob.  I think graphite=carbon fiber

"Sometimes you wear stretchy pants, in your room...  Is for fun..."  Nacho
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2005, 08:16:54 PM »

Best thing Rainsong did was put a truss rod in.Even grapite guitar necks need adjusting,ask all the guys that had to throw away a neck because it warpped to much.
graphite=carbon fiber could be,I just don't know much about this new fangaled stuff. :blink:  

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Artisan

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2005, 11:27:01 PM »

I think CA has been in a state of flux since it's origin, for diffent reasons, but as a recently approved authorized dealer, I chose them over Rainsong (regardless) because of their comittment to design that produces the "sound" we all appreciate so well.  

They went to school on vintage Martins, and they counciled with a great number of artists... They listened to the feedback and made changes in their designs as a result.

Laughingskunk, you may need an X-Standard small body...  ;)  

Ratishna
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2005, 05:56:44 PM »

I prefer CA to Rainsong but I really prefer wood over either one.

E. Shoaf
laughingskunk

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 05:22:12 PM »

Artisan, I may need an X-standard, but are a little more than can afford to spend. The new Rainsongs definitely look in my price range, and I do like that clear tone. From what I hear they sound great amplified too.

Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 06:12:20 PM »

I think CA has been in a state of flux since it's origin, for diffent reasons
can you elaborate on this?
jwieties
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 06:29:41 PM »

I never played a CA, and I have only played one rainsong parlor.  I have to tell you it was one of the most amazing guitars I have ever played.  Approximately a OO in terms of size.  The thing sounded like a dred.  It just rumbled.  Ugly as can be but I could not believe the sound that was coming from it.  I would get one if a great deal came around.
-josh

Larrivee P-03MT
Martin 00
Epiphone Bluesmaster
Fergy07
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2005, 06:52:03 PM »

See I like the Rainsongs, as they tend to be in more of an OM shape rather than a dread. There has been a really nice jumbo JM1000 Rainsong for sale for the longest time at GGuitars, for $1200. It's been a year since I asked for a price and I don't know if they are more motivated now to sell it versus last year, but I always thought it would be a great guitar for playing outside (we tend to jam a lot in the summer near water).

Andy

Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple
Fredmando
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2005, 10:40:08 AM »

There is a Mountain Stage tape airing now on public television of Leo Kottke and Mike Gordon. Kottke is either playing a Rainsong or a CA. I had to look twice at the TV because I thought he was mostly Taylor now.
--Fred
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: