Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Santa Cruz H Model  (Read 1442 times)
Philphool

Ignore
« on: April 18, 2005, 12:13:53 AM »

Okay guys, you did such a great job giving me info about the Baby Collings that I have been coveting, I thought I'd ask you about my latest craving.

Has anyone tried the Santa Cruz H model?  It seems similar to the Baby Coll., with the 14 free frets and small body with rosewood.   Any experiences?

Thanks,
Phil (with BAD GAS)
GIGGLER

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 12:23:15 AM »

Supposed to be like Gibson Nick Lucas, right?

Don't take no wooden nickles, and don't put beans in your ears.
Artisan

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005, 12:26:13 AM »

Hey Phil, how about 1 fret less, the H-13 with a slotted headstock?  :o

https://www.artisanguitars.com/sess/utn;jse...ndex.shopscript

Philphool

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005, 01:04:14 AM »

Yeah, what that all about?  13 free frets so that the top and bridge placement is "optimal"?   Maybe so.   Has anyone compared the 13 fret vs 14 fret?  Obviously, I would like "optimal", but I really like the access that a 14 fret model gives.

I need to find a dealer where I can A/B the H models and some 00 models or Baby Coillings.   That's a lot of moula to spend without hearing and feeling something special. :unsure:

Thanks for any thoughts,
Phil
Artisan

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2005, 01:34:38 AM »

Phil, you are right, you need to try them out, and make your own comparison. We are not a Collings dealer, so I can't help you out there.  I could send the H-13 out on 24 hour approval, but if you have your heart set on a 14 fret, it might seem pointless.

Is there a Santa Cruz dealer in your town?

Philphool

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2005, 02:00:53 AM »

Artisan said:
Is there a Santa Cruz dealer in your town?

Nope.  Closest one is 50 miles away. I need to call them to see if they have an H in stock, and take a day trip. :D

Phil
philster

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2005, 02:43:33 AM »

The H models are sweet.  I like the 13.  You can definitely adjust to losing one fret, but if you prefer the 14 fret, it's still a killer guitar.  There is also a cutaway model in the 14 fret model, but it has a 1 11/16 instead of a 1 3/4 neck.  Elderly had one for a decent price, may still.  It'll handle low key flatpicking (especially in rosewood) and is of course killer for fingerstyle.  

Once again, this is a guitar that is more powerful than you might expect.  Read this and you will buy one if you are on the fence  B)
http://www.lutherie.net/model_h.html  

"Sometimes you wear stretchy pants, in your room...  Is for fun..."  Nacho
jwieties
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2005, 04:12:26 AM »

Dave has a sick sycamore H-13.  Truly if I could have any guitar right now this might be it.  I have never seen a guitar be so stunning while at the same time being very simple and modest.  Sound clip is included.
http://www.guitaradoptions.com/prodcat/cus...&cat=303&page=1
-josh

Larrivee P-03MT
Martin 00
Epiphone Bluesmaster
jimmyd
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2005, 12:26:51 PM »

Just to try to make it more confusing I'll add that there is a 00 Huss and Dalton in the buy/sell section. They have a suprisingly big sound and are really put together right.
norton

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2005, 02:53:53 PM »

I had a chance to play an H for the first time last month after hearing about them for years.  This one was from '98 I think.  Rosewood.  Excellent condition.  Played great - a real beauty.  I'm afraid it didn't do a thing for me.   That's because I'm not looking for the softer SCruz sound in a guitar that looks like a Gibson from the thirties - I want more bark and bite.  I felt the same about the Collings version (C-10?).  

Not to say you wouldn't be very happy with either if that's what you're after.  The ones I tried were stunning guitars.  Just that to my ear neither has the sound of a L-00 or Nick Lucas even though they have the look.

Here's what's got me excited! -
http://www.clarksdaleguitars.com/models.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: