Played A Line 6 Acoustic Variax Today!!

Started by Veji, April 16, 2005, 04:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hey everybody..

well i guess i opened a hole in my bank account with my new acquisition
of the larrivee lv09e. Today i went to the music shop
to buy a capo for my larrivee when i saw a variax acoustic hooked up
to a bose system. I gave it a try and wellll.. it was cool.. nice sounds.
for 1100 for the variax(not the bose) i think its a great tool for recording
and live playing. But as good as it sounds with that many sounds..
i rather go home and play my larrivee.. still if i had 1100$!!!!

What did you guys think about the acoustic variax?

curious what other people responses are.

ive been really curious about those...and the electrics too...i havent seen one in person, but i really want to try one. ive got a line 6 pod and i love playing through it...i sold my marshall not long after buying it. so that just makes me more curious to try a variax.

Quoteive been really curious about those...and the electrics too...i havent seen one in person, but i really want to try one. ive got a line 6 pod and i love playing through it...i sold my marshall not long after buying it. so that just makes me more curious to try a variax.
I've played the original variax electric, and it's good for novelty, but I just didn't like the feel of the guitar.

Yes, there's a switch position for a strat, but the guitar doesn't feel like a strat.  And there's a position for  Les Paul, but it doesn't feel like that either.  Keep turning the knob, and you get other guitar simulations, but the guitar itself doesn't feel like any of them.

I don't know, it just didn't hit me as something I would aspire to own.

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

A neat toy. But, there isn't a lot of variety in modeling setups. I really don't like the playability at all. Although if you're an electric player too, it probably won't bother you.

While I really dug the sounds the Variax put out, I have to say it doesn't feel like a quality instrument. Fit and finish weren't what I would expect from a $1000+ guitar by any means.

That said, if I needed a live guitar and needed a bunch of different tones, I'd probably consider buying one and having a luthier go over it.

QuoteA neat toy.
i agree. a 'toy' is about all i see it as.  

My wife mystery shops on the side, and one of her recent mystery shops was to go to GC and verify they had three of the Bose amp sticks on display, one in the acoustic room, one in the keyboard room, and one on the mian floor which needed to be connected to a Variax (you know who got to go as her resident guitar player). They lost the mystery shop as the Variax wasn't connected and ready to play. But hey, a mystery shop to a music store. You have to love it, you get paid to play with the inventory!

Andy
Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple