Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Miking A Guitar  (Read 2129 times)
poki
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: February 24, 2004, 04:47:56 AM »

I'm interested in adding a mike to one or more of my guitars BUT don't want to do any sort of drilling in the guitar.  Are there mikes that can be attached to the guitar that don't require any permanant alterations to the guitar?...i'm only interested in recording the guitar using different brands of strings or saddles and such and want to be able to keep a recording of the differences...
Thanks poki B)  

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor
Zach
Admin

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2004, 05:09:27 AM »

Why does it have to be attached to the guitar?

Zach
poki
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2004, 07:58:41 AM »

zseby, come to think of it, theres really no reason for the mike to be attached to the guitar but i was assuming there were such mikes that can clip on to the guitar somehow but i guess as long as the mike is close enough to record the sound clearly would suffice...i guess i could even use my digital video camera but i don't think the built in mike is particularly good for recording music...heh i guess i'll give it a try anyway just to see what results.
poki B)  

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor
Zach
Admin

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2004, 12:15:14 AM »

A decent mic and a decent pre should get you enough gain to record from pretty far away.  Not that you would necessarily want to though.  What are you planning on recording with?  

Zach
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2004, 01:29:32 AM »

poki there are mic's that clip on to the guitar,in fact I've orderone to check out.If you can get an sm57 or 58 play about 6" away you should get a good recording.Also if the unit has a trim or gain control on the channel open it up as much as you can,this will get you as much sound recorded to your PC or tape unit.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
poki
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2004, 04:11:19 AM »

zselby, i think it would be easiest to record to my PC or my digital viedo camera which can be downloaded into the PC...i tried using the video cameras built in mike and it didn't sound good, not that i play good though.

unclrob, i'd like to know how the clip-on mike works out.  does the mike plug into a recording device via mini-jack?
poki

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor
Zach
Admin

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2004, 05:47:53 AM »

I don't know exactly what mic unclrob is referring to, but most any decent quality mic is going to require a preamp.  Most all will have an XLR plug.  

Zach
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2004, 02:36:38 PM »

The mic is one that has a clamping type system to it.I'll know more when it get's here.I've seen something like it used by Bela Fleck.I let  you know more.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Tony Capri

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2004, 06:20:45 PM »

I found something a few years back, I forget now who makes it, but it clipped onto one of the braces on the back. Of course the wire is hanging out of the soundhole and with a microphone the wire hitting the guitar is going to get picked up. I think I kept it for about a week and got a Fishman Rare Earth (which is too now gone). I think if I was going to go with an internal mic again it'd definitely be something I want to be permantly installed without any wires hanging out to hinder. But for recording I wouldn't want to rely on something like that.

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2004, 02:04:42 AM »

The mic I was thinking of come's from GHS,it's a 1/4" plug out via a pre amp that is attached to it.It velcrov{spelling} to the body by the neck and the mic bends over towards the soundhole.I tried it thru an acoustic amp and it produced a very nice sound.They go for $150.00.I'm keeping it for myself for now at least till I get a chance to record with it.Got to get me some sort of program and hardware to use the computer until I build my room.If I can sometime in the future I'll try and post some sound bite's.NO PROMISES.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
poki
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2004, 05:01:10 AM »

unclrob, the soundhole mike you have has a 1/4 h3

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor
poki
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2004, 05:01:11 AM »

Oops, something went wacky...unclrob, mike you have has the single prong headphone type 1/4 inch jack out?...if so then i should be able to use a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch jack adaptor to connect it to my computer...i think...i have a sound recorder on my pc so i would think it might work with the mike and save the recording as a wav. file...my sound card isin't the best but it's not bad either...
thanks, poki B)  

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2004, 01:55:29 AM »

I don't know enough about computer's but I would say more then likely.

OM03PA
Favorite saying
Still unclrob
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: