Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Much Is Too Much And Pricing Thoughts  (Read 1414 times)
Atlanta_Mark

Ignore
« on: April 14, 2005, 03:36:40 PM »

Don't know if this has been noticed/discussed on the forum (I couldn't find it in a search)

http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/images17...d100/index.html

They are asking $100k for it. I like inlay as much as anyone, but wonder if I am the only person who views this as a bit over the top? :huh:

On another note, something I have been meaning to discuss for a while is guitar pricing versus other instruments. I am primarily an amateur violist, and have two violas, a cello and a violin in addition to the guitars listed below (I also sing in two choirs). My best viola and the cello, if replaced currently, would probably cost in the $4-5k range. These would be considered "good student" instruments, or perhaps as a second instrument for a professional. A professional would be more apt to own something in the 5 figure range, with six figures not be out of the question for someone playing in a large professional orchestra.

Its always struck me as odd how you can buy a top quality guitar, basically the same ones used by the pros, for so much less than a top quality violin.

Mark T

1985 Alhambra Classical
2004 Larrivee LV-03RE
1990 Guild B30E
freeindeed

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 04:59:24 PM »

Hey Mark,
  I think we as guitar players are extremely fortunate. A hand crafted, top quality guitar can be had for less than alot of other wood instruments. Compare the price of a Goodall or Ryan for example, pricey yes, but a heck of a lot less than a top notch violin or cello as you mentioned. A friend of mine payed 6k (it may have been more I forget) for his Hardanger fiddle and had to wait almost 3 years to get it. Maybe it's supply and demand. There are tons of guitar players out there who are serious enough to pay x amount of dollars for a boutique guitar. On the other hand, I would imagine there are less options for someone who wants to purchase a fine cello,viola, or violin. When I see what other high quality instruments cost, I'm glad I play guitar....and kazoo. :)

Chris

Martin J-40
Takamine jumbo
Martin LXM
damianip

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 05:04:22 PM »

My feeling is that they are not really instruments (or, more precisely, they are "coincidentally instruments") but "objets d'art".

They appeal, I'm guessing, to collectors (who may or may not play) and not players. There is a tremendous amount of labor injected into that guitar, very little of which is dedicated to making it supremely playable, beautiful in tone and performance, or exceptionally stable and durable. It's different than a great Cremonese violin or cello where the value is in the "musicallity" and rarity.

That said, I'm sure someone will buy it.

Personally, I find the high end Martin inlay to be a bit "much" for my taste. Assuming I had that kind of disposable income, which I don't, I still would not be inclined to acquire that sort of guitar. I'd probably go the route of Scott Chinery and try to get a few "Blue Guitars".

Paolo

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. "

Bil Mitchell HG 00 -  all Walnut
Everett Laurel O
Larri LV05MT
Larri LV09 Custom All Walnut
Larri LV-03RE-12
Larri J05
Larri SE Parlor Walnut
Tacoma C3C - peeling finish
Martin 000-17
Atlanta_Mark

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 05:26:11 PM »

When I see what other high quality instruments cost, I'm glad I play guitar....and kazoo. :)
Is there a kazoo acquisition syndrome? And can you buy inlaid kazoos?  :lol:  

Mark T

1985 Alhambra Classical
2004 Larrivee LV-03RE
1990 Guild B30E
Calvin
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 10:49:31 PM »

OMG, who would pay 100K for that thing, okay maybe someone would, but even if I was made out of money I wouldn't.

100 thousand clams for that guitar which probably killed a 100 thousand clams in the process LOL. :D  

Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon
Frets

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 01:16:16 AM »

ive always liked inlay...and i appreciate all that work that went into that guitar...but i dont really care for that one myself...id take it if someone gave it to me though!
check out the inlays on this page...

http://www.williamlaskin.com/gallery2.html
Artisan

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 02:38:33 AM »

Sorry, it reminds me of a few customers I saw recently with many tatoos... Not that I have anything against tatoos, I just don't want them on my guitar.  B)  

LookingForLarri

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 04:29:19 AM »

the 100K model is just to much for me.  
To much money
To much inlay

The William Laskin site is amazing. He is without a doubt one of the masters of his craft.  

10 Larrivee 00-03R 
09 CA Cargo
09 Taylor GA SS
06 Taylor 714CE
05 Santa Cruz OM S
04 Baby Taylor
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005, 12:08:29 PM »

the 100K model is just to much for me.  
To much money
To much inlay

The William Laskin site is amazing. He is without a doubt one of the masters of his craft.
Well, he learned from the best, Jean Larrivee

Ratishna
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2005, 12:34:54 PM »

$100K is the retail price on that Martin.  I don't think any are selling at retail, though it begs the question if a standard discount makes it a better deal at $70K.  At any rate, the upcharge is for the many hours spent on inlay work.  Whether one likes it is a matter of taste.

E. Shoaf
clcoleman

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2005, 12:13:41 AM »

Maybe it's like the guy selling pencils for $10,000 apiece.  When told he wouldn't sell many pencils at that price, he said:  "All I have to do is sell one!"  :lol:  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: