Just One More Mic Question...i Promise!

Started by acoustic84, April 13, 2005, 03:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ok guys, Ive been to homerecording.com for some mic info and there is just way to much stuff there!  So Ill make this as simple as possible.  I need two mics for stereo on my d-03r.  Im gonna worry about a vocal mic later(Ill just use one of the stereo mics for vocals now)  And I want them to be only $100 each.  So whats better, those new KEL hm-1's or the MXL 603's?  Or is there others in that price range that may be better?  It would be nice to have a dark sound versus brighter also.  But if I have to pay more for a dark sound than I guess not... And help appreciated.
D-03r (Rosie)

Considering that the KEL mics are right on the money as far as your budget goes, and they have a money back guaranteed trial period, and that quite a few experienced recording people are giving them good press, I would go for it. Not much to lose.

Ron
Ron

Thanks alot.  Thats actually what I was leaning more towards anyways so glad to hear that opinion.
D-03r (Rosie)

You'll have to let us know how the HM-1 performs. I was looking at the specs, etc., and I'm considering the HM-4 I believe it is.
Joe
D-03
L-03

I just placed my order on a pair of hm-1's.  I have one question though, do I need to try to contact them to request a matching pair?
D-03r (Rosie)

QuoteI just placed my order on a pair of hm-1's.  I have one question though, do I need to try to contact them to request a matching pair?
Probably not.

I seriously doubt there is such a thing as a matching pair of $100 mics.  Worry not about getting a matched pair.  It doesn't hurt to ask, but all they will likely do if anything, is take a look at the frequency response plots and try to get you a couple that look similar.

Just try all kinds of mic setups until you find one that you like.  Micing acoustic guitar with a pair of mics usually means trying to get a somehwat different signal to the two different mics; many people use one to get body and sound hole content, and the other farther up the neck to try to get less body/soundhole and more direct string vibration type sound.  Having a matched pair of mics really doesn't matter in this case.

I also know guys that like to suspend  a mic over the right handed guitarist's right shoulder, to try to capture what the guitarist is actually hearing.

-Scott
2000 L-03-E
2012 Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
1985 Peavey Milestone
2004 SX SPJ-62 Bass
2008 Valencia Solid Cedar Top Classical
2015 Taylor 414ce - won in drawing
2016 Ibanez SR655BBF
???? Mitchell MDJ-10 3/4 scale dread
???? Squier Danocaster

My Sound Cloud

Thanks for the info.  Ive downloaded some sound clips from some mic positions and the one I like the most is the one you were talkin about. The one with the mic over the shoulder and the other one around the 12 fret.  But the easiest for me to do would be the x-y thing though, since Im a beginner at all this.
D-03r (Rosie)