Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shawn Mullins  (Read 700 times)
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: April 04, 2005, 03:31:32 PM »

http://shawnmullins.com/

Local musician to North Georgia Shawn Mullins has come back to the southeast after touring for almost 10 years. He had 1 number 1 hit "Lullaby". He played some of the small bars and restaurants in the area in the early 90's after graduating from North Georgia College here in Dahlonega where I live now. So, he's got a good following locally. He sold out the coffee house (70 person capacity) both friday and saturday nights where I hold jams on saturday afternoon, so when a third show was added for sunday night I decided to get a seat.

Lots of energy in his playing which I would describe as energetic strumming using a fast bass note stroke followed by 2-3 alternating strokes on the high notes of chords. A few riffs up and down the neck, but mostly just judicious use of standard chords, drop-D, and open tunings. A few tunes he would use jazz or blues chords up the neck.

Apparently he has deal with Gibson and he played 2 Gibsons most of the night, but... Shawn had a nice looking Larrivee D-09Braz with small eagle headstock, of the same type I have. He only used it for one tune, Lullaby, in an open tuning, but that guitar had great projection and tone in his hands. I'll admit to being partial to it. I was wearing my blue Larrivee baseball cap and tried to give it to Shawn, but he said he has some kind of deal with Gibson?

Apparently he had 2 of the D-09 Brazilians at one point in time, but one of them was stolen from him.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
laughingskunk

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 04:50:27 PM »

Saw Shawn a few years back when "Lullabye" was on the charts. Believe he opened for Hootie and the Blowfish. For only being familiar with one song was impressed had a very melodic hooky type sound. Was looking at our local library recently and picked up the Essential Shawn Mullins CD. Didnt know he had enough material for that. Had a number of songs on it the impressed me. Believe I have even heard "Everywhere I Go" on local radio. Would defintelyhave enjoyed seeing him in such a small setting.

CA Bluegrass Performer, Larrivee D-02 (sapele),  Martin LXK2 \"If we weren't all crazy, we would go insane"
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 06:21:57 PM »

very, very soulful voice imo. i have his first cd.....somewhere. there was one tune that i really liked from it. it had a line that said, "im gonna sit right here and watch the sun..disappear into the ocean....cuz, its been years since i smelled the salty sea". i love that line and he really sings it with soul.

i lost track of him over the years, but i thought he was in a band called the thorns now? glad to hear hes still playing.  
honkytone

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 06:39:36 PM »

Saw The Thorns last year, the band Mullins is (was?) in with Pete Droge and Matthew Sweet.  Great band, huge vocals.  They always get a lot of comparisons to CSNY, but I actually thought in some way Bread was more apt (only they can rock!).  The show was a big guitar fest, with many cool acoustics (I do seem to recall them being mostly Gibsons) and electrics.  They were on tour with The Jayhawks.
leesguitar

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 03:26:47 PM »

If you go to www.mlive.com they have a shawn mullins session in the acoustic cafe archives, as well as richard thompson, paul brady etc ,all good stuff :D  

SRV Strat
Larrivee LV05
Wife
Kids
Many guitars gone to new homes
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: