**update On My Tuning Issues**

Started by sc morris, February 23, 2004, 06:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

as most of you will remember, i posted a thread a week or so ago about my tuning problems on my D-03 BW.  here is my update......the problems are gone!!!

the source of my problems were the WEBSTRINGS!!!!!!  I contacted Nathan at EM's and he told me to put on D'Addario EJ16's, which i did, and now the tone, volume, and tuning stability is back with my guitar.  my guitar is now it's old self again and i'm very happy.  thanks for all the good ideas and advice from all of you guys.  and beware of the ultimate tone/tuning killing monster known as Webstrings.   you get whatcha pay for.  
"I would never join a club that would allow me to be a member"
 Groucho Marx

Larrivee D-03 Blackwood w/ K&K Pure Western

I know what you mean!!  I'm stuck with 5 sets that will probably end up in the garbage!  I'm glad your problem has been solved and it wasn't anything more serious than strings.  A lesson learned!  I'll be sticking with the tried and true brands that I know souind and work on my babies!

NewStrings
Lord of the STRINGS * Kronbauer TDK *  Taylor 614ce  *  Larrivee LV-03RE  *  Taylor 810ce  *  Martin D-18 Custom  *  Gibson ES - Les Paul  *  Gibson J-45  *  Fender Telecaster  *  Jason Romero banjo  *   National Estralita Resonator * Muth mandolin

I'm glad it all worked out.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

QuoteI know what you mean!!  I'm stuck with 5 sets that will probably end up in the garbage!  I'm glad your problem has been solved and it wasn't anything more serious than strings.  A lesson learned!  I'll be sticking with the tried and true brands that I know souind and work on my babies!

NewStrings
keep the Webstrings as spares, in case you break a string or something.  
 Groucho Marx

QuoteI'm glad it all worked out.
thank you. :D  
 Groucho Marx

I am glad that you solved your problem. I have used Webstrings and found them to be a very good string. I have used Martin's, D'Addarios', Elixirs, DR, etc. and have not found the Webstrings to be inferior to any comparable name brand string. Right now I have the PB lights on my D03 and am trying out 80/20 mediums on my parlour. I really like the PB lights best, so far. Like any string, you have to be careful how you wind them and make sure that the ball end is seated properly.  The PB lights on the D03 hold tune very well and I will continue to use them. Bone saddle and Tusq pins really bring out the best tone in the strings. ..Steve
Larrivee D-03 (1997 model)
Larrivee LS-05
Larrivee 00-05

QuoteI am glad that you solved your problem. I have used Webstrings and found them to be a very good string. I have used Martin's, D'Addarios', Elixirs, DR, etc. and have not found the Webstrings to be inferior to any comparable name brand string. Right now I have the PB lights on my D03 and am trying out 80/20 mediums on my parlour. I really like the PB lights best, so far. Like any string, you have to be careful how you wind them and make sure that the ball end is seated properly.  The PB lights on the D03 hold tune very well and I will continue to use them. Bone saddle and Tusq pins really bring out the best tone in the strings. ..Steve
if you like the Webstrings that much, you should get the 5 sets of off Newstrings here.  it doesn't sound like he's going to be using them.  
 Groucho Marx

I too have bought sets from webstrings (both 80/20 and PB) and have found them to be just as good as the regular Martin or D'addario string.  In fact I have read that all guitar strings are made by only a few companies.  Much like car batteries are made by only a few factories (with different stickers placed on them).  I have not had any problems with tuning problems with my D-03 R and I have been using the Light Plus strings.  I have seen different periods of longevity of the strings, but have attributed that to playing frequency and my hands (some days my hands seem to be more corrosive than others).  Maybe you got a bad batch?  I do know that the company Webstrings will work with their customers if you are not satisfied with your purchase so give them a call...

Mike Jones

Larrivee D-03R
K&K Pure Western P/U
Seagull S 12+
Ultrasound Ag30P
ESP EC 100-QM
Webstrings Lights

Thanks for the affirmation, Mike. It is true that webstrings offer a money back guarantee. They have a toll free number on their website. I would imagine that guitar strings are made in huge quantities and like anything else, it would be possible and even probable that there would be some percentage that would have a defect of some kind. Slipping of the wire core inside of the winding could cause the string to be inconsistent in its tuning. Other kinds of defects might just cause the string to break prematurely. You would probably find as many random failures of this type with D'Addario, Martin, etc. as you would with webstrings. We live in an imperfect world.

To each his own....
Larrivee D-03 (1997 model)
Larrivee LS-05
Larrivee 00-05