Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee Dreads For Bluegrass Anyone  (Read 5618 times)
Admin
Admin

« on: June 10, 2003, 08:57:56 PM »

Fstpicker
------------------------------------------------------------------------
As a Bluegrass and Old Time Music player/enthusiast, I was wondering if any of you play your Larrivees in this setting much? Any groups you're in that you use it for? How does it "cut through" the fiddles/banjos etc.?

Thanks for your response...

Jeff  
Admin
Admin

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2003, 08:59:23 PM »

slackkeyer

Hi Fstpicker,

Just wanted to mention that LarrivŽe made some guitars specifically for bluegrass as an experiment. They're the OM-50's, -60's and -70's I believe.
They have cedar tops(all of them?) and large soundholes, and they're loud. I have one I found used at Buffalo Brothers, and someone on another post said Buddalo has others. Also, Brian at LarrivŽe mentioned to me that they may make more in the future, but this time make them LOOK more like bluegrass guitars so people buy them!
ie. black pickguard.

if I can get a photo Gallery set up here, I'll post some pictures of mine. It's very distinctive looking, and pretty with the cedar. Warm too!

Ross
Admin
Admin

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2003, 09:00:17 PM »

Elrod

The D-05 I had was plenty loud enough for Bluegrass. I'm not primarily a Bluegrasser, but it holds its own with any Martin or Southern Jumbo I ever had. The 1&3/4" nut helps a lot too!  
Admin
Admin

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2003, 09:01:44 PM »

Jay3863

Good old Fstpicker...I see you wherever I go (It's just jay from that other forum ).

Well buddy, I just bought a nice, simple D-03 this weekend and I'm happy as can be. I've got more volume and bass now than I had with the Taylor, much more suited to our music. I suppose I could have waited and got one of the revoiced Taylors, but honestly, I'm tired of all the Martin vs. Taylor crap, I just want to play my music, and not be judged by my choice of guitar everywhere I go. I think Larrivees are great, so I went for it.

I played a D-05 as well, no difference in the two except cosmetics ( maybe 1 11/16 vs 1 3/4?). I also played a D-10, and loved the rosewood. Since I'm not a cosmetics type person, if I had a few more bucks, I might get a D-05R, but that's about as fancy as I need.  Love those microdots.  
Admin
Admin

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2003, 09:02:37 PM »

Fstpicker

Good for you Jay! Congratulations! The D-03 is my favorite inexpensive Larrivée out there IMHO. It is packed with tone, volume, richness, great strong bass, and great midrange. You will love it! I only sold mine to finance my all solid rosewood Martin. Otherwise, I would have kept it, hands down. Still miss it at times.

BTW, I don't believe Larrivée makes a rosewood 05 series model. Could be wrong...hey, not a bad idea. Why don't they? They'd sell a bunch if they did I'll bet!

Have fun buddy!

jeff  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: