Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any opinion on flamed maple back compared to the rest?  (Read 203 times)
mellette

Ignore
« on: June 20, 2018, 09:18:45 AM »

I am back looking for another Larrivee experience after selling my 1994 L10 Koa back due to a lifted bridge. I have never tried a maple back though I played several violins and cellos. Hope to have some thoughts from owners with maple back experiences. Thanks.    Mel
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2018, 11:42:04 AM »

Maple, either quilted or flamed, is one of my favorite tonewoods.  Their tonal quality is unique...

George
Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2018, 03:04:58 PM »

My main guitar is an OM03PA which is 12 fret maple back and side its not as dry sounding as the L09FM that I owned.Neither guitar was/is overly mid rangey tonely as most people think.I have always been a maple fan my other guitar is a Guild Jumbo.Maple Larrivee's are pretty balance with good note seperation,also very different then koa and I owned a koa L09.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
gtrplayer

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2018, 03:52:37 PM »

I recently purchased a Larrivee LV-10QM (quilted maple) from a pawn shop on ebay.   I never played a maple Larry but I gave it a shot as the price was ridiculously low.  The guitar was stunning in appearance.  The quilted maple was beautiful.   Initially I didn't care for the sound as there were light gauge strings on it and it sounded brash.  It might have been because the guitar showed no signs of use; absolute mint and maybe yet to be broken in.  Anyways I threw on the Tonerite and in between started playing it and before too long the sound really blossomed.  With the addition of some Martin Retro Monels it's become my favorite at least for now.  The sound; very balanced as most Larrys, with sharp bass, good midrange and hauntingly nice trebles. Not the most resonant guitar but still very nice, it's a keeper. 
Danny
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2018, 04:10:25 PM »

I had an OO-09FM that was quite a looker and I enjoyed it's bright tone.
I'd still like a maple 12 string.
mellette

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 02:03:22 AM »

Not that I've played a lot of different guitars but nothing come close to my last larrivee Koa in terms of balance and the complexity in the same price range. Yes maple looks like the next target when I dont see any koa back that often on sale or the price is that of a missile.
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 05:58:47 AM »

Sold your koa due to a lifted bridge? Do you talk to anyone about that first? I ask because that's like selling your car because it needs the rotors resurfaced.

Anyhow, maple is a more "dry" back wood. It doesn't contribute the midrange excitement like koa, or the low end richness of rosewood, or even the top end sparkle of mahogany and walnut. Maple seems to spit back whatever tone the top wood is giving you, and that's not a bad thing. The top is 90% of the sound anyway so don't get too caught up in the back wood. Think more about bracing, body size, things that really affect the tone in a major way.

When considering maple, keep in mind that sometimes, "less is more" in terms of guitar acoustics. Rosewood can often make a big guitar sound congested and lack clarity, whereas the dry nature of maple might allow the clarity to come through and you'll hear the top end clarity that is masked by the overtones in the rosewood. Really depends on the instruments, how you play, what you play, and what you like to hear. No reason to avoid maple though. It can work beautifully, is stable, and looks gorgeous.

D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
George
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2018, 07:12:19 PM »

Not that I've played a lot of different guitars but nothing come close to my last larrivee Koa in terms of balance and the complexity in the same price range. Yes maple looks like the next target when I dont see any koa back that often on sale or the price is that of a missile.

Forgive my asking, but what is the going price for a missile?   bigrin

George
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Today at 04:22:18 AM »

Forgive my asking, but what is the going price for a missile?   bigrin

If you have to ask, you can't afford it...

All guitars are left-handed:
1979 L-19  |  1992 OM-05  |  2010 RS-4 in Candy Blue  |  2013 C-10 Italian Spruce/Silver Oak  |  2016 L-05 Custom
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Today at 12:52:14 PM »

Maple works fine. It's a matter of taste and purpose, I suppose.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: