Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Help With Preamp And Soundcard  (Read 990 times)
acoustic84

Ignore
« on: April 08, 2005, 07:25:20 PM »

I am kinda confused about this home recording stuff.  Choosing Mics is already hard enough, but with that a side, I need a good 2 channel preamp (M-audio or presonus maybe) and Im guessing a good sound card thingy, like the firewire thing or whatever.  I dont have enough money to afford anything else like a monitor, compressor, eq, and wutever else.  I just wanna do solo recordings of me and my D-03R with a couple of mics for stereo recording, go to the preamp, and then my soundcard.  Any suggestions welcome.

Nathan

D-03r (Rosie)
deltoid

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 07:32:59 PM »

What's your budget range?  Have you seen this thread > http://www.larriveeforum.com/forums/index....t=ST&f=9&t=5915
acoustic84

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 07:39:21 PM »

basically bottom of the line stuff, but not really cheap stuff like behringer.  The M-audio dmp3 fits by budget.  If its under 200, I can afford it.  I might be willing to spend a tad more.  But thats my range for the preamp alone.  Are there soundcards that have preamps built of them so I could just get one thing?

D-03r (Rosie)
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 07:47:09 PM »

Hi 84, The M-Audio Duo has mic preamps and USB interface to go straight to your recording software, but it's no longer made.  Not sure what they replaced it with.

So many songs - so little time...
Finger Picking good Folk, Blues, Gospel, Roots, Rags, and Originals
www.davidberchtold.com
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 08:24:57 PM »

Here's a Duo on Ebay.  They sold for $249 new.  Has good mic preamps and you won't need to get a new sound card.  

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

I really like mine.  I knew nothing about digital recording but it this was pretty easy to figure out.

For software I highly recommend nTrack.  It's cheap and extremely well done.  You can down load it for free and try it out. nTrack is not real well known but it does everything the big boys (cakewalk, pro tools, etc) do at 1/4 the price.   http://www.ntrack.com

David

www.davidberchtold.com
acoustic84

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 09:26:20 PM »

Thanks All.  I already have nice enough software I think. Adobe Audition 1.5.  I was just at Guitar Center and they had the M-audio 410 with 2 mic preamps and the firewire hook up.  Although I didnt check to see if it had gain on it but I would think it does.  How does that sound?  Its definetly more pricy but not outrageous.

D-03r (Rosie)
acoustic84

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005, 09:57:19 PM »

Wow, on second thought, theres used m-audio duo's on ebay that are cheap!  I think Im gonna go that route. Either that or the mobilepre, which I guess is what replaced the duo.

D-03r (Rosie)
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2005, 10:56:11 PM »

The mobile pre doesn't line input.  Duo has line-in switchable from +4 to -10db. Mobile Pre is a good audio interface, but not as versatile as the Duo.  I've never bought a used Duo, so you got a tough choice!  M-audio is good stuff though, so either way you're getting quality.

So if you'll ALWAYS record from mics, you'll be ok with the MobilePre.  The Line In useful for taking input from things like old cassettes decks and minidisk players.  For example, I'm going to Jorma Kaukonen's FurPeace Ranch guitar camp next weeked.  I'm using my trusty old Marantz casette recorder to tape the workshops, and I'll load them onto my PC through the DUO into nTrack and be able to process in nTrack to break into separate track thens cut a CD of the ones I want to practice to.

Clear as Mud?   Hope this helps...

David

www.davidberchtold.com
acoustic84

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2005, 05:33:09 PM »

Yea, thanks a lot.  For now Ill just be using mics for my acoustic and vocals.  I think on the Mics I may get a couple of those kel hm-1's, they seem like a good deal and sound pretty decent for the price.  I just dont trust behringer.  I had a bad expierence with one of their boards.

D-03r (Rosie)
dberch
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2005, 09:52:40 PM »

Sounds like you have a plan and are ready to move forward.  Good luck! And don't forget us when you get something recorded.  We'd all love to here you.  

David

www.davidberchtold.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: