In A Moment Of Weakness

Started by The Guitarman, April 07, 2005, 11:02:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have always prefered the sound of Larrivee's and Taylors over Martin Guitars.  However, yesterday I ran into a Martin D41 Special that was heads above any I have tried in the past.  In a moment of weakness I decided to bring it Home.

My wife is into music and she liked the sound of this guitar also, so she was cautious and understanding, :unsure: she did not get irritated, <_< or mad :angry:

Joe
Taylor    614CE
Fender   Amer DLX
Larrivee  D10B
Larrivee  D09
Larrivee  C09  1998 Flame maple
Larrivee  D03
Martin    backpacker
Gibson    Les Paul
Peavy    Falcon Custom

You're in the right company to make such a confession...

B)  
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

I was at a local shop just last week and they had a D-40, just a hint less bling than the -41.  Well, let me just say that I am no big fan of dreads but this guitar was louder, bigger and bolder than any I have ever tried.  I also tried a couple of other Martins like an Eric Clapton 000-28 and a D-18.  The D-40 was sweet.  If I were a flatpicker looking for a great bluegrass guitar, that would fit the bill.

When you get a guitar that speaks to you so clearly, you can never go wrong.

E. Shoaf

QuoteMy wife is into music and she liked the sound of this guitar also, so she was cautious and understanding, :unsure: she did not get irritated, <_< or mad :angry:
Ok, so she didn't get irritated, mad or angry. Did the "get even" thing hit yet?  :P

Ron
Ron

QuoteWhen you get a guitar that speaks to you so clearly, you can never go wrong.

E. Shoaf
YOU GOT THAT ONE RIGHT!

Andy
Larrivee OM9
Larrivee PO-09 Koa
Breedlove SN20
Webber 000 Cedar/Maple

When they are right, they are right.

QuoteMy wife is into music and she liked the sound of this guitar also, so she was cautious and understanding, :unsure: she did not get irritated, <_< or mad :angry:
Ok, so she didn't get irritated, mad or angry. Did the "get even" thing hit yet?  :P

Ron
The last time It cost me a Motu 828 interface, Patch Bay, New Computer, 1 gig of Ram, Sonar 4 producer edition, and 3 condenser mic's. :blink:

This time It only cost me, so far, $200.00 for shopping. :P  
Joe
Taylor    614CE
Fender   Amer DLX
Larrivee  D10B
Larrivee  D09
Larrivee  C09  1998 Flame maple
Larrivee  D03
Martin    backpacker
Gibson    Les Paul
Peavy    Falcon Custom

Congratulations for now, then. ;)

Hopefully your wife will not try and turn you into a handyman like mine is. I even mention the words " new guitar" and she pulls out her honey-do list from memory. She's really hot to get me up on the roof but I don't trust her with the ladder!  :unsure:  
Neil K

2013 DIY Medium Jumbo (western red cedar/S. American Mahogany)
2013 McKnight Ukulele
2009 Martin D-16GT
2006 Larrivée OM-03R
1998 Fender American Standard Stratocaster, Ash Body, Natural finish
1989 Kramer Striker 610

Buddy, that's a moment of strength!!!!!!!

But the wife is now well armed for future purchases.

Good guitar.  when you find a good Martin , it's a killer.
Peter
creestudios.com
Art Guitars and more

I hope you continue to like it more and more. Then you will look back on your decision as a moment of great clarity or some such BS.  A good Martin is indeed a joy to play. People sometimes forget that the 40s, 41s, etc, are the best of their tone woods as well as the inlay and fancy stuff. I don't have the critical eye for finish but have been told that high end Martins are finished as well as the  best guitars available today.

Just over a year ago I bought my Martin jumbo. I really wasn't looking for a different guitar -  honest! - but this one called to me. I left it in the store, went home, told my wife about it. The blasted guitar idea stuck with me all day. Finally, I talked to her again. Didn't ask, just said "This is the one, I'm gonna get it." Yup, she asked if this would be the LAST guitar. I said "prob'ly not".

I traded my Martin SWDGT for the Jumbo, which is still my best, favorite guitar.

Sometimes, it's just the thing you have to do!
Dave

Martin JC-16WE
Larrivee OM-03D
Walden C2010
Taylor GS-Mini Hog