Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: hot tuna in DC  (Read 753 times)
sayheyjeff

Ignore
« on: November 21, 2005, 04:50:44 PM »

just in case folks in the Washington, DC area don't know, HOT TUNA is playing at the Birchmere this evening at 7:30.  looked at their web site and indications are that tickets are still available.  recommend calling ahead.  should be a great show.  my current group is 9.  planning on getting there early.

jeff

Santa Cruz PJ
Martin om28v
Martin 0018vs
Bourgeois 'Alan Simpson' Slope Dread
Martin LXM (on loan)
fitness1
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 06:10:26 PM »

So how did Jorma do?  Last time I saw him, he was still playin' OK, but looking pretty rough!!   That was 15 years ago!

Charis SJ Koa/Sitka
Mcknight/Poling GC Koa/Italian
Eastman E10D - Mahogany/Adirondack
Cordoba C9 Mahogany/Euro Spruce

"One small heart, and a great big soul that's drivin"
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2005, 12:16:43 AM »

Lather was 60 years old today they ......    ^_^

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
sayheyjeff

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2005, 04:27:23 AM »

another really good evening of music from hot tuna.  always seems to be special when they "come home to DC to play".  I am always most pleased with the 1st set which is acoustics. the 2nd set was and is often electric.  3rd time I've gone to see them in the last year.  similar sets and for the most part equally good.  have to say the last time I saw them at the birchmere almost a year ago was the best show I seen them put on over the years.  last nights was almost as good.  really getting to think barry mitterhoff is a very talented and special musician.  I think, in fact, that he has become more than the 3rd member of the band a quite the powerful force with his variety styles on his assortment of little instruments.  he played rhythm and lead on mandolin, mandola, tenor guitar and a couple of other instruments that looked like mandolin size electric guitars.  they played plenty of the old songs including many from their 1st album and "burgers" which are my favorites.  they are a pretty amusing group on stage with plenty of good stories and jokes told primarily at their on expense.  only the hawking of their merchandise is less amusing after you've heard the rap a couple of times.  highly recomend seeing the show if you get theopportunity.  jorma has a new acoustic cd and we picked it up but haven't had the chance to listen to it yet.  will let you know.  finally, the birchmere wasn't any more disorganized than normal ( an improvement over the old days), and did not discourage us from picking up tickets for saturday night to see the seldom scene.  always special to see those guys at the birchmere - especially since they don't play in together in town as often as they used to.  should cap off a great holiday weekend.

hope everyone else's is just as good.

jeff   

Santa Cruz PJ
Martin om28v
Martin 0018vs
Bourgeois 'Alan Simpson' Slope Dread
Martin LXM (on loan)
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2005, 11:03:44 PM »

I used to drive to the Birchmere from Rockville when I lived in the area. One of my favorite places to go.

I should get to a Tuna show next time they're in Atlanta.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
MrZamboni

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2005, 03:10:41 AM »

Hot Tuna will be in Minneapolis on Satu 12/10. Was going to bring my guitar palying son, then I get a notice that BB King is in town the same night. Got 7 tickets for BB at Orchestra Hall. Just about the whole family going for my wife's birthday.

LV-10 45th anniversary
LV-10 Tambourine Lady
OM-10BZ
D-10
OO-03MH
13th Fret Limited Edition Koa Parlour
B-02 bass

D-02 (my baby's 16th birthday present-and now he's 27!)

other assorted: Yamaha, Epiphone dot, Johnson resonator, La Patrie classical
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: