Who's Your Second Favorite Builder?

Started by guitaradoptions, April 01, 2005, 11:36:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know Larrivee is first, but who would your second choice be?
For purposes of the study, please don't pick Taylor, Martin or Tacoma!
And NO Asian imports!

Fylde guitars in the uk, they have been building since the mid 70s ad their client list reads like a whos who of folk music, all hand made  
SRV Strat
Larrivee LV05
Wife
Kids
Many guitars gone to new homes

No asian imports!!! Well I guess I cant say Gretsch.
Since I cant say Taylor.  Iv never played a Breedlove guitar in person, so I cant realy say for sure, but I think they would take Taylor's place. I love my Breedlove mandolin. And the sound clips Iv heard on Daves website sound soooooooooo sweet. I have a great respect for Santa Cruz as well.
2011 Larrivee D-03R JCL
2011 Fender American Stratocaster

Either Goodall or SCGC. Played some very nice models of those.  

SCGC, came close to buying a pre-war dread before stumbling on to a Larrivee.  
John

Larrivee C-10
Fender dlx p-bass cust
Guild D4-NT

Guild
Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519

If we're talking about the same approximate price range, Avalon is great.

Santa Cruz, Collings, Goodall, etc., all make excellent guitars, but we're talking about a jump in price.
Bing

Larrivee J-09FM
Taylor 814ce
Music Man Axis SS w/piezo

http://www.beneteauguitars.com/

I actually owned one of his earlier guitars.  Very nice.  They stock some, or have stocked some, at the Ottawa Folklore Centre (www.ottawafolklore.com).  I go there on my lunch hour sometimes and my repair tech is there too.

There are many Canadian builders out there that seem to be making a name for themselves.  Many were students/apprenticed with Jean Larrivee.  

Linda Manzer, Grit Laskin, David Wren, Paragon Guitars...the list goes on, all spent time being tutored by Jean Larrivee

I'm not sure Marc ever studies with Jean, but he does mention meeting Jean Larrivee in his bio.  

I don't think you can underestimate the influence Jean Larrivee has had on lutherie today, especially here in Canada.  

Denis - People not old enough to remember when your choices were Martin, Gibson and Guild can't imagine it.
Beneteau claims JL as an inspiration, although he didn't apprentice with him like the others.  

i'd have to go with J.A. Duncan guitars

http://www.duncanguitars.com/
my buddy has one, and it very much like a larrivee....
really nice tone.

or

Charis guitars.....
i would love one of these!!

http://www.charisacoustic.com
1993 - Larrivee D-60 Rosewood w/ Bband A1 / ust
a good way to start my Larrivee collection!

Celebrate we will Because life is short but sweet for certain

In terms of total number of models I'd LIKE to own, It would have to be SCGC.  VJ, SJ, Brozman baritone, 12 fret D, H-13, vintage artist...  I can't think of another maker where I like so many diverse models.  

BUT...  I have the hots for a Bourgeois 14 fret slope D, plain mahogany back and sides with a sunburst sitka spruce top.  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!  I've played 4 and they have all been the most awesome  "advanced jumbo" guitars I've played.
"Sometimes you wear stretchy pants, in your room...  Is for fun..."  Nacho

QuoteDenis - People not old enough to remember when your choices were Martin, Gibson and Guild can't imagine it.
Beneteau claims JL as an inspiration, although he didn't apprentice with him like the others.
Sorry Duck, I'm not old enough to remember those days!!!   :lol:

Actually, I was looking at one my oldest Guitar Player magazines, from when a couple of years after I started playing in the early 80s.  There was an article about inlay and the mentionend Larrivees.  They were still so new back then but the inlay work was so intricate.  I should scan that article....

Quotehttp://www.beneteauguitars.com/

I actually owned one of his earlier guitars.  Very nice.  They stock some, or have stocked some, at the Ottawa Folklore Centre (www.ottawafolklore.com).  I go there on my lunch hour sometimes and my repair tech is there too.

There are many Canadian builders out there that seem to be making a name for themselves.  Many were students/apprenticed with Jean Larrivee.  

Linda Manzer, Grit Laskin, David Wren, Paragon Guitars...the list goes on, all spent time being tutored by Jean Larrivee

I'm not sure Marc ever studies with Jean, but he does mention meeting Jean Larrivee in his bio.  

I don't think you can underestimate the influence Jean Larrivee has had on lutherie today, especially here in Canada.
Don't forget Northwood!

ive always thought that Huss & Dalton's are pretty cool for some reason. really old school looks and tone. id like to have one myself.  

As bad as they can be sometimes, I would have to say Gibson.  If you can find a good one (I did), they can be great, and definitely have a unique sound.

I also really like David Webber's guitars.  I'm generally not a big fan of rosewood, but I played a Sitka/Rosewood Roundbody that was incredible.  

Zach

Quotehttp://www.beneteauguitars.com/

I actually owned one of his earlier guitars.  Very nice.  They stock some, or have stocked some, at the Ottawa Folklore Centre (www.ottawafolklore.com).  I go there on my lunch hour sometimes and my repair tech is there too.

There are many Canadian builders out there that seem to be making a name for themselves.  Many were students/apprenticed with Jean Larrivee. 

Don't forget Northwood!
I know, I know...

And there are many, many more...

http://www.guitarscanada.com/madecanada.htm

ohhhh forgot lakewood....

dave matthews has one in his stable that is pretty sweet....

suprised nobody has dropped the JAMES OLSON bomb yet.

would love one of those......

1993 - Larrivee D-60 Rosewood w/ Bband A1 / ust
a good way to start my Larrivee collection!

Celebrate we will Because life is short but sweet for certain

David White of Defaoiteguitars.com.

I've got his baritone and it's by far the best guitar I own.
Peter
creestudios.com
Art Guitars and more

Collings and Breedlove would be a couple of my favorites. SCGC...I've played a few really nice ones as well.

Actually, my second favorite guitar maker is...Larrivee.   :o   My first is (sorry...) Taylor.

However, in the spirit of this thread, and pretending Taylor doesn't exist, which WOULD put Larrivee as my favorite, then I'd have to pick Goodall.  I played one of their cocobolo Traditional Dreads that, if I had the $$, would replace almost every other guitar I own (except the Forum...).
Phil

"History is something that never happened, written by someone who wasn't there."

R. Taylor Style 1 WR
Taylor T5-C Cocobolo
Taylor GS Custom
Taylor PG-LTD
Taylor 600-SPEC
Taylor 510-LTD
Taylor 510 Cocobolo
Taylor 412-M