Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who's Your Second Favorite Builder?  (Read 10245 times)
SlowFingers

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2005, 05:39:36 AM »

Since I only own one guitar, I would have to say it: Seagull M6.

But I am still smitten with the sound of that Breedlove Revival that guitaradoptions posted a couple weeks back. I had thought that I would be targeting a Larrivee for my next guitar when I get the cash to make a higher end purchase. I will not know for sure until I play them, but that Breedlove is still on my mind.

My Guitars
Larrrivee OM-03
Seagull M6 Gloss
http://photos.yahoo.com/rttadlock
jimmyd
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2005, 05:54:40 AM »

Huss and Dalton are my favorite. Exquisite craftmanship, tone to die for, very comfortable hand carved necks, super playability, great customer service and some of the best pricing  you can find in a bench built instrument. I've never played one that didn't really impress me.  
Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2005, 12:41:42 PM »

I'd love to see a picture of your old Beneteau ~ if you get a chance, scan it and post it on the forum. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would enjoy having a peak at it.

John in Japan

Sorry but the guitar I spoke of in my earlier post was not a Beneteau.  I think the only one with a picture of my Beneteau(must have been a late 80s early 90s model) would be my ex-girlfriend that I haven't spoken to in 7-8 years.  I will however try to find the pictures of my handmade I described.

Frets

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2005, 05:00:52 PM »

nobody here has mentioned Morgan Guitars! DAve Iannone builds really top quality guitars, check them out if you get a chance. Another one of Jean's former workers.
 J.A. Duncan Guitars are great too, although he's not building at the moment since he's in australia for awhile.
The list of former Larrivee workers that now build on their own is very long. Another builder to check out is David Amirealt as John Scott David Guitars, his guitars are pretty nice.

www.morganguitars.com
www.duncanguitars.com
www.johndavidscott.com
tikabear

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2005, 06:06:19 PM »

I've played a SCGC Tony Rice model and a Breedlove SC20.  I loved both of them and used and beat up they were WAY outta my price range.  I guess I can't afford to have a fav other than Larrivee.

More than I deserve.
pastorparker

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2005, 08:10:35 PM »

I would say John Mayes for sure. He's an awesome builder and a great guy to boot!
thestugots

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2005, 09:06:42 PM »

Breedlove all the way!

Jay
ronmac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2005, 09:10:47 PM »

I used to have a Beneteau and stupidly traded it.  But if memory serves, it was for a handmade guitar I played for about 12 years that I don't have anymore.  It had a picture of the Earth from space on the inside.  I have no idea who made it.  It was a mini jumbo with mahogany b/s, spruce top, mahogany neck, ebony bridge and fretboard.  The neck was V shaped and had no truss rod and a wide fretboard.  It had a compensated ebony saddle when I first got it.  I got a Fishman UST put in but to do it, my repair guy took the saddle and shaved it in to dust.  Mixed it with glue or something and filled the hole.  Then he routered out a new slot for a corian (at least I think it was corian) saddle.  I have pictures somewhere but I'd have to find them and scan them.  I traded that guitar and a cheap mandolin for a Seagull 12 string which is also gone.
It sounds as though that guitar you traded was a Gurian.

His label was a round picture of the Earth that listed his address as "Third Planet From the Sun".

Highly regarded guitars that are played by several top notch 60s ~ 70S players. Including Paul Simon, whose favorite acoustic guitar is a Gurian. "In a way, this should be the guitar that I build the microphones in and bring out to play on the stage," he says. "But this is the guitar that I record with, so I don't want to fool with it because I don't want to take a chance that I'll alter the sound."

Oh well....

Ron

Ron

Denis
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2005, 12:56:19 AM »

It sounds as though that guitar you traded was a Gurian.

I was in Halifax for Xmas a few years back and had considered renting a guitar.  My aunt has many connections in Halifax as she owns the Lower Deck.  A musician had a guitar he was willing to lend me, through my aunt.  It was one of these Gurian guitars.  Beautiful guitar.

The one I had, had a picture of the earth but only had:  K. Siecwiycz (something like that) Pembroke, 1982, handwritten.  Pembroke is about an hour north of Ottawa, Canada's capital.  It was not the same shape as Gurians either.  

bino

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: April 03, 2005, 05:54:41 AM »

Have we heard Morgan, yet?  My favorite.  I am kinda' partial to pre Fender Guilds, also.  and the occcasional catch of a Gibby ...

bino
 :)  

Bino

Guild Maple Dreadnaught D30 (2001)
Morgan Mahogany OM (2003)
Larrivee Mahogany L-Model L05 (2008)
Larrivee Rosewood Dreadnaught D-03R (2012)
Guild Mahogany Sunburst Dreadnaught D40SBL (1977)
Randy_R
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: April 03, 2005, 11:47:18 AM »

Have we heard Morgan, yet?  My favorite.  I am kinda' partial to pre Fender Guilds, also.  and the occcasional catch of a Gibby ...

bino
There are certainly some fine pre-Fender Guilds out there. I think Fender made a good business move buying Tacoma and moving Guild production there.  The early reports on the new Guilds coming out of Tacoma is that they are of excellant quality.

Randy R., Georgia, USA
Opinions available. Inquire about qty discount.
Forum Guitar III LS03 #15 ser no 108519
bino

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2005, 03:33:51 AM »

Have we heard Morgan, yet?  My favorite.  I am kinda' partial to pre Fender Guilds, also.  and the occcasional catch of a Gibby ...

bino
There are certainly some fine pre-Fender Guilds out there. I think Fender made a good business move buying Tacoma and moving Guild production there.  The early reports on the new Guilds coming out of Tacoma is that they are of excellant quality.
Randy:

Thanks for the update on the Tacoma move.  I love my Guild, and would hate to see a name brand of this reputation cease to exist.  I would kind of like to have a burst D55 or F50R.  This thing where a company gets bought by someone else in the same business and then a period of brand name diminishing qualities, etc. is not isolated to the guitar industry.  I work for a plastic equipment company that was know to make the very best equipment that they could (and not cheap by any means), and we were bought by a company who wanted in that market, but could'nt crack it because of their poor quality, no customer support approach, and it has literally ruined our brand name since 1996.  We are a pale comparison to what we once were.  Glad to see Fender take proactive moves to save the grand old Guild brand line.

bino
 ;)  

Bino

Guild Maple Dreadnaught D30 (2001)
Morgan Mahogany OM (2003)
Larrivee Mahogany L-Model L05 (2008)
Larrivee Rosewood Dreadnaught D-03R (2012)
Guild Mahogany Sunburst Dreadnaught D40SBL (1977)
hcole

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2005, 04:47:14 AM »

I'd have to say Lakewood.  I also like Howard Klepper http://www.klepperguitars.com.  I've never heard one but I think some of his designs and wood use (while not for the traditionalist) are very striking.  Here's a link to my favorite one in his gallery http://www.klepperguitars.com/rougeetnoir.html.
el guitana
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2005, 11:44:14 AM »

I'd have to say Lakewood.  I also like Howard Klepper http://www.klepperguitars.com.  I've never heard one but I think some of his designs and wood use (while not for the traditionalist) are very striking.  Here's a link to my favorite one in his gallery http://www.klepperguitars.com/rougeetnoir.html.
Wow - definately into looks - wonder how the sound is!
sawdustdave

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2005, 12:32:18 PM »

Someday, I'd like to get a Petros. Bruce lives "just down the road", about 20 minutes away. He set up my first Martin for me, let me play some of his guitars he had hanging in his living room. Man, they were nice!

Wonderful sound, incredible craftsmanship. And, Bruce is a nice guy, too!

But for now I'll just use his guitar polish...

Dave

Martin JC-16WE
Larrivee OM-03D
Walden C2010
Taylor GS-Mini Hog
mazareth
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2005, 01:42:28 PM »

Hard to pick a #2. Yesterday I played Takamine OM sized guitar with Koa b/s and a Cedar top. The cedar cut some of the jangle that Koa has and at least in this guitar, really makes for a warmer sound.

Aside from Breedlove, I have no experience with any of the other favorites like Santa Cruz, Goodall, Collings, etc. that others have mentioned. I would probably pick Martin as my 2nd favorite. One of the best guitars I've played to date was a '77 HD 28 that a good friend on mine has. Guild is a close third. At least pre-Fender, they seem to have really had a way with Maple.

Mark  <_<  

Mark from Wis.
Guild D-35
2004 Larrivee D-09

Martin LXK2
Epiphone Elitist '61 Reissue EB3 (for Sale!)
Birdsong Skyrider custom bass.
dbirchett
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2005, 04:00:59 PM »

My vote would be a posthumous one for the late Stuart Mossman. He was one to try to break the Martin/Gibson lock on the acoustic market. His dreads truly played like butter and sounded like heaven. If it wasn't for a very unfortunate fire and some very bad business decisions, the acoustic market might have another major player rather than a very nice footnote.

I understand that he was a major influence for Bob Taylor (or is it Bob T*****?).

Don

Larrivée D-09BW
Larrivée LV-03BW
Larrivée OM-03K
Larrivée LV-03-12
Martin D-18 RIP crying
Mossman Tennessee 12
Gretsch Chet Atkins DC
Fender Am. Stratocaster
Guild X-170T Manhattan
Fender 90s Telecaster Custom
Guild Starfire 5
Gretsch 5422 12 String
G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi
GTR Florentine Special
Yurinaut

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2005, 12:20:36 PM »

I think pretty much anything form this site would do me just fine...
http://www.dreamguitars.com/new_instruments.htm

Larrivee LV-05E
Martin 00CXAEBlack
La Patrie Concert Classical
Harmony Archtone Archtop (glued and screwed)
Gibson Melody Maker (dual pickup - Vintage Sunburst)
http://caliberguitars.com/Guitar/Larrivee
norton

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2005, 03:04:22 PM »

I've been agonizing over either of these -

http://www.clarksdaleguitars.com/models.htm

Hard to buy an expensive guitar without actually seeing one, but for what I'm after these sound pretty much perfect!  I realize Little Brother has a personal stake, but I've always found his appraisals to be right on the money.  They must be incredible!
damianip

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2005, 03:41:37 PM »

Let's see:

There's Everett ( http://www.everettguitars.com ) guitars, but, as much as I love my (relatively) cheapo Laurel and the unattainable high end Everetts, I need a wider fretboard.

Alternatively, there's Bil Mitchell ( http://www.bilmitchell.com ) guitars. His shop is near me, and I've played bunches of his guitars. Unfortunately, I can't really afford one of his high end ones, but his Homegrown (discount handmade line) guitars are on my short list for next guitar.

My ultimate guitars are Josep Melo's ( http://www.meloguitars.com/instruments_am3.htm ). They are truly strange, but play and sound beautiful.

Realistically though, I'm pretty satisfied with my Larrivee and Seagulls. The Everett is a tough one though: it sounds beautiful but it's tough for me to play with my fat fingers.

Paolo

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. "

Bil Mitchell HG 00 -  all Walnut
Everett Laurel O
Larri LV05MT
Larri LV09 Custom All Walnut
Larri LV-03RE-12
Larri J05
Larri SE Parlor Walnut
Tacoma C3C - peeling finish
Martin 000-17
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: