Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kaki King  (Read 1232 times)
poki
Gold Member

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2005, 04:17:42 PM »

Saw this little dynamo performing on TV last night.  without a doubt she has by far the most unique playing style i've ever seen on a guitar (Ovation).  much of her finger picking was done over the fret board using both hands to pluck simultaneously with a mix of soundboard tapping on various locations of the board.  i can't quite describe the genre of music she played but it was pretty amazing to watch.  unique as it was she's obviously an incredibly talented young lady that doesn't let her tiny size slow her down one bit.

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor
LaminateBoy

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 04:28:00 PM »

You should check out the Acoustic Guitar Magazine forum - Players section. The Kaki King topic is into 16 pages with 230 replies, It's been going on for a couple of months.

L-04 koa
L-03-12
Parlor (mahogany)
Forum III MT
Yamaha FG-180
Gretsch Sundown Serenade
Fender Stratocaster
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 05:32:12 PM »

she is amazing -- thats for sure. that style of music is a little busy for my taste though. i do, however, think she's great. i think she doing herself a disservice using those ovations. i think she could get much better tone from most any other guitar. the sound she got on the conan obrian show was beyond awful. you really couldnt even make out some of the sounds...just "mush" sounding tones with a few slaps thrown in. even some of her recording dont sound all that great, tonewise. i just think she could do better with a different guitar.
philster

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 05:42:38 PM »

You should check out the Acoustic Guitar Magazine forum - Players section. The Kaki King topic is into 16 pages with 230 replies, It's been going on for a couple of months.
Yeah, the article in acoustic guitar magazine was interesting too.  There were about 16 pictures of her...  She's cute, but c'mon.  I found it embarassing.  She's a great player.  That should be good enough  <_<  

"Sometimes you wear stretchy pants, in your room...  Is for fun..."  Nacho
Bkinley

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 06:18:27 PM »

I think her style with the two handed tapping over the top of the fretboard and thumping the body, not to mention the ovation are all really taken from Preston Reed and she has even mentioned that in interviews. That guy can play! If you like her music go to the source. I saw him a few years back with Laurence Juber who is one of my favorite guitarists and I was blown away by Reed's playing. But as somebody mentioned Reed is not quite as cute or marketable as King, so she is the one on Conan!

Larrivee OM-50
Martin J-1
Dr. Evil

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2005, 01:46:09 PM »

Watch out, Bkinley, someone is liable to label you as sexist for your comments! I won't, but someone might.  :)  

Larrivee LV-03R
Martin DM
Yamaha FS-335
Bkinley

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 02:57:19 PM »

Yeah, looking back that might not have been the most PC thing to say. Apologies if I offended anyone!

Larrivee OM-50
Martin J-1
naboz
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 03:10:34 PM »

Boy, that is some thread going over at AGF!  :huh:  
Dr. Evil

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 05:04:11 PM »

Don't apologize please, you are dead on with your comments.

Larrivee LV-03R
Martin DM
Yamaha FS-335
Veji

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2005, 08:12:27 PM »

hey anybody knows what guitar/amp/efx kaki king is using?
would really appreciate the info!

thanx
poki
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 08:45:23 AM »

comming from a point of view of someone whos never heard of Kaki King i thought her performance was pretty amazing and unique and i was much entertained by her performance and that's what it's all about.

that is indeed quite a disscusion in the AG mag forum and i thought it was very sad that some felt the need to use Kaki's fathers anouncement post to slam, bash and trash her but alas such is the brutal nature of the buisness :(

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2005, 03:48:51 PM »

i went over there and waded through that thread. what a shame. the first reply got to me so much that i had to sign up and give them a piece of my mind.
 angry  
poki
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2005, 04:39:34 PM »

Good job acoustic soul. B)
i can understand some folks not liking a particular performer for what ever reason but that person went quite a bit too far IMHO considering the post was Kiki's father anouncing her upcoming performance.  what ever the case, Kiki like all other artists need to have thick skin if they want to survive in this industry but unlike some artists, Kiki actually has talent which i would bet will continue to grow as she gets more experienced.

Veji, Kiki uses an Adamas Ovation guitar sometimes but she was using a different Ovation guitar the time i saw her on the carson daily show.  don't know what electronics she uses though.

Larrivee 0-09K Koa/sitka
Seagull S6+CW Folk
Goodall Parlor
Caleb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2005, 04:47:52 PM »

Good job acoustic soul. B)
yeah, i felt sooooooo much better after i made that post. :lol:  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: