Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Breedlove Atlas Series Ad20/sm Acoustic Review  (Read 12198 times)
Calvin
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2005, 08:11:57 AM »

Rotator cuff injury doesn't mix with guitar, I hear ya.  Hold it like a classical.

As for quality wise, it's pretty silly to think Atlas can par up with the Larrivee's.  The regular Breedloves to me sounds good enough to compete (they are different sound, not better, nor worse), but not the Atlas.

Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Fender American Stratocaster Delux
Fender Mexican Stratocaster
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Rivera Sedon
woodshed

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2005, 02:53:33 PM »

Sounds like you need to play one, not just speculate.  I have owned several Larrivee's, all great guitars.  They all are of similar build quality as the Atlas dreads, which I own two at the moment.  

Scott
Calvin
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2005, 07:47:21 AM »

Woodshed, you should understand people are being polite with the way they word things.  And I've been very polite with mine...

No I've not played an Atlas, maybe you do like it better.  But please understand that just as you are entitled to your opionion (preferable voicing them when you are not selling them, because technically you do own them before they are sold), I am entilted to mine.

Let me put it in perspective for you.  A person that is selling Honda civics comes up to me and tells me their Civic is so good that it will run with my BMW 325i any day of the week.  I hate to be so blunt, but a BMW 3er will make a civic look ridiculous, and a Larrivee will make an atlas look bad.  True the atlas may be 85% of a larrivee easily costing 3 times the money, but the same can be said about a civic and a BMW right?

And yes, I will go play a Atlas when I have a chance, I am sure they are good guitars, especially for such a great price, heck I may even buy one.  But a L'arrivee will always be a L'arrivee.  And yes, you do get what you paid for.  The fact is that if the atlas are as good as the larrivees for 1/3 of the price in the eye of the public, I am pretty sure Jean and Matt will be out of a job, and I'd be very sad.

Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Rivera Sedon
Calvin
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2005, 07:47:21 AM »

Woodshed, you should understand people are being polite with the way they word things.  And I've been very polite with mine...

No I've not played an Atlas, maybe you do like it better.  But please understand that just as you are entitled to your opionion (preferable voicing them when you are not selling them, because technically you do own them before they are sold), I am entilted to mine.

Let me put it in perspective for you.  A person that is selling Honda civics comes up to me and tells me their Civic is so good that it will run with my BMW 325i any day of the week.  I hate to be so blunt, but a BMW 3er will make a civic look ridiculous, and a Larrivee will make an atlas look bad.  True the atlas may be 85% of a larrivee easily costing 3 times the money, but the same can be said about a civic and a BMW right?

And yes, I will go play a Atlas when I have a chance, I am sure they are good guitars, especially for such a great price, heck I may even buy one.  But a L'arrivee will always be a L'arrivee.  And yes, you do get what you paid for.  The fact is that if the atlas are as good as the larrivees for 1/3 of the price in the eye of the public, I am pretty sure Jean and Matt will be out of a job, and I'd be very sad.

Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Rivera Sedon
woodshed

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2005, 12:44:08 PM »

Hey Calvin, sorry if you took what I said the wrong way.  I'm not trying to bash Larrivee in any way. The Atlas dread I own is every bit as good a guitar as my D-03's, and looks alot nicer to boot!  This is not a ridiculous statement, just my honest, educated (I've actually played and owned both guitars in question  :D  )opinion.  They really play and look like a much more expensive instrument.  There are Larrivee's at the higher end of the scale that probably kill the Atlas, I'm sure of that.  But you really shouldn't just attack my comments about the Atlas just because you are Larrivee fan.  Go play one, you'll be amazed!

Scott
Calvin
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2005, 08:42:26 PM »

Woodshed, I may have over reacted, and I apologize for that. Just keep in mind that mostly everyone here  (I'd go as far as say 85% of member) are pretty educated about guitars, and each of us knows what we individually prefer, which are very different, and definitely not always L'arrivee.

No harm done. B)  

Larrivee LSV-05
Larrivee LV-09FM
Larrivee CS-30
Yamaha Chronos LL-16
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Martin LX-1
Rivera Sedon
woodshed

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2005, 12:37:21 PM »

That's cool, no problem.  I just want people to try these guitars, they're really that good!

Scott
Artisan

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2005, 02:50:28 AM »

Okay.. I have avoided voicing my opin until now.. But I just gotta' say something...

1) I'm not certain that the Atlas series was designed to compete with a Larrivee, at any price... but certainly is out there as an alternative to many other entry level guitars, that by comparison Breedlove should win hands down.

2) Quality of my set-ups has been consistent, and customers are satisfied.

3) I feel it is fairly daring move to place the same logo on the headstock as your master class custom line, and represents a huge comittment that Breedlove is prepared to stand behind the brand, and the line.

4) To me, Rosewood models sound much better than Mahogany (been a personal preference all my life), and there are fewer models made in Rosewood, so most players' experience to date have been Mahogany models.

Selling at $ 399, I am much more comfortable recommending the Atlas to a beginner taking lessons, than some middle of the road brand (even for less) that could be purchased just about anywhere, particularly where the customer couldn't get any support or service after the sale.  Isn't that what most of us want?  ;)  

woodshed

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2005, 04:48:01 PM »

Well said Bill!  That was my immediate reaction.  Walk into a guitar store with $350+or- and buy a guitar.  What other guitars would even compare to the playability, quality, and looks of an Atlas?!?!  I bought another one to set up for a friend, his first "real" guitar.  He's gonna play it for worship, only had $300 to spend.  I picked a AD200/SM up used off of he forum, bought a decent chipboard case and a Dean Markley transducer, and voila, instant tone on a budget!  What a great beginner guitar!

Scott
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: