Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larrivee's And Celebrities  (Read 4429 times)
sc morris

Ignore
« on: February 19, 2004, 01:22:33 AM »

i'm not real sure exactly how endorsements work with guitar makers and musicians.  do some makers actually "pay" people to play their guitars??  or do they just get "free" guitars?  i mean, if i was a famous player, it would be cool to get free guitars, but it would be even better to get paid to play them.  i especially wonder how this all works when someone has a sig. model, (i.e. Pete Anderson with Larrivee, Eric Clapton with Martin &Fender etc.).  i have seen several ads in the mags. with celebrity players like Ed (what's his name) from the Bare Naked Ladies and Brad Paisly.  i wonder if these gusy get "paid" for the ads, or if they just get free guitars?  or maybe they just love Larrivee and maybe Larrivee doesn't pay players or give away free guitars....  i was just wondering.  i thought this also might have some impact on the price being so much lower for a Larrivee.  

any thoughts???

"I would never join a club that would allow me to be a member"
 Groucho Marx

Larrivee D-03 Blackwood w/ K&K Pure Western
sc morris

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 05:21:58 AM »

c'mon Mods!!!!  did you really have to move this post over in this section to watch it die a slow and very painful death???? :(

nothing, it seems, gets responded to over here... :blink:  

Groucho Marx

wyodeb
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 07:42:38 PM »

I've wondered this too... :unsure:

Deb

Larrivee OM-03PA
Larrivee Parlor 01K
Taylor 412e-R
sc morris

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 11:34:31 PM »

:D anyone???  anyone???  Bueller????

Groucho Marx

Barefoot Rob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2004, 01:54:19 AM »

I believe that Paisly and Ed bought ther own guitars.a lot of company's give there stuff away or sponser them.

A REPAIRPERSON,Still Unclrob
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity*Eat The Rich*, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
www.rpjguitarworks.com
Call PM me I may b
bino

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2004, 06:29:35 AM »

Yo SC:

I'm not getting paid to play a Larrivee ... oh wait a minute, you said celebrity.

Seriously, sometimes I have thought that every country singer in Nasville plays a Gibson...uhm... are they really that good ... is it the climate in Tennessee?  Pondering outloud ;)

bino

Bino

Guild Maple Dreadnaught D30 (2001)
Morgan Mahogany OM (2003)
Larrivee Mahogany L-Model L05 (2008)
Larrivee Rosewood Dreadnaught D-03R (2012)
Guild Mahogany Sunburst Dreadnaught D40SBL (1977)
Zach
Admin

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2004, 02:41:32 PM »

Seems to me like most country artists play Takamines.  I sure hope they're getting paid for that  :D

If you haven't played a good Gibson, you're missing out.  Some of them really are that good.

Zach
sc morris

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2004, 12:33:20 AM »

Seems to me like most country artists play Takamines.  I sure hope they're getting paid for that  :D

no joke!!! it's Tak's as far as the eye can see in country music!! i have often wondered why this is....  i'm sure Tak is shelling out free guitars left and right, with the promise of more on demand if they play them in the videos and such.  have you ever played that Garth Brooks model???  i'll just say this, it would have made really pretty fire wood. :blink:  :huh:  :o  

Groucho Marx

SR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2004, 06:08:55 PM »

no joke!!! it's Tak's as far as the eye can see in country music!! i have often wondered why this is....  i'm sure Tak is shelling out free guitars left and right, with the promise of more on demand if they play them in the videos and such.  have you ever played that Garth Brooks model???  i'll just say this, it would have made really pretty fire wood. :blink:  :huh:  :o

Really The  Garth Brooks model was that bad sc morris ?

I myself have a Takamine the EGS-430SC and it's not too bad of a guitar. I don't think from what little I know that Takamine has  been giving them away from what I've heard some of the country artist's like them for the preamps. I do know Allan Jackson Plays a Taylor and so does Vince Gill from last I heard.I got to admit now you guys have peeked my curiosity as well. Oh Before I forget Brad Paisley is on The More Than the Music DVD's with Vestal Goodman he plays Unclouded Day,and Rise Again on it with his Larrivee D-10  

Zach
Admin

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2004, 07:44:46 PM »

My guess would be that a large amount of country stars aren't really guitar players.  Ever notice how most of them actually play about 1/10 of the time, and when they do you can't even hear it?  I think it's mainly more of a prop.  

There are obviously lots of exceptions, and most of them play decent guitars.  The rest don't care/know what they play because it's either not even in the mix, or its so low that it doesn't matter what it sounds like.  I remember watching the country music awards this last year and they had a section where 3 or 4 new artists each played a song.  Only 1 of them actually had their guitar even plugged in.

Zach
sc morris

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2004, 11:23:30 PM »

no joke!!! it's Tak's as far as the eye can see in country music!! i have often wondered why this is....  i'm sure Tak is shelling out free guitars left and right, with the promise of more on demand if they play them in the videos and such.  have you ever played that Garth Brooks model???  i'll just say this, it would have made really pretty fire wood. :blink:  :huh:  :o

Really The  Garth Brooks model was that bad sc morris ?

I myself have a Takamine the EGS-430SC and it's not too bad of a guitar. I don't think from what little I know that Takamine has  been giving them away from what I've heard some of the country artist's like them for the preamps. I do know Allan Jackson Plays a Taylor and so does Vince Gill from last I heard.I got to admit now you guys have peeked my curiosity as well. Oh Before I forget Brad Paisley is on The More Than the Music DVD's with Vestal Goodman he plays Unclouded Day,and Rise Again on it with his Larrivee D-10
yes, the Garth Brooks models that i've played have just been junk!  i also have a (G330) Tak.  it's an old one and i really love it.  they make LOTS of guitars, so you really have to dig in deep to find a good one.  i don't know much about model number for Tak's though.  there are so many, it's really hard to keep up with them.  i can tell you this though....  a friend i regularly play with in our church has a high end Tak.  i don't know what model it is.  it's a dread, cutaway, cedar top, RW back/sides, and lots of Abalone.  it's also got the cool, tortoise looking tuners on it.  he plugs his into an old vintage Fender tube amp, uses a rackmount of effects.  i play my Larrivee D-03, with my LR Baggs Gigpro, staight into the house and my sound totally kills an hope that his Tak had.....and that's no joke.  just this Sunday i got several compliments on my tone.....from people that don't even play guitar!  there is something truly magical about the Larrivee and the K&K pickup.  

there are some good Takamines out there.  but they are not even in the same league as Larrivee in my experience.  

Groucho Marx

sevenup

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2004, 12:32:03 AM »

I am no expert.  But from what I read, Takamine makes great acoustic guitar for Amplification.  They are bad unplugged beacause the body is build to avoid feedbacks, so they don't vibrate anywhere close as a regular acoustic.  (I maybe wrong, just read this somewhere)
sc morris

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2004, 12:40:06 AM »

I am no expert.  But from what I read, Takamine makes great acoustic guitar for Amplification.  They are bad unplugged beacause the body is build to avoid feedbacks, so they don't vibrate anywhere close as a regular acoustic.  (I maybe wrong, just read this somewhere)
I wouldn't doubt that this is true.  But, that's a really bad way to push guitars in the shop....you know.  Mabye they should put a sign on them that reads, "to really see what I can do, plug me in!!!!!"  to me, if it doesn't sound good on my lap....unplugged....I'm not even going to bother walking it over to an amp.  

Groucho Marx

GeyerSFI

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2004, 10:17:21 PM »

I've played a Takamine for 10 years now that I bought new for $700. Its a dreadnought with a cutaway, but I dont know the exact model number.  Its got a spruce top with mahogony sides and back.  Anyways... It has been one of the best sounding guitars I've played.  I even had a producer in Nashville offer me $2,000 for it.  Of course I couldn't sell it because it is the first acoustic I ever bought and it has too much sentimental value.  The lead singer of our band has two high end Tak's and his dont sound half as good.  Guess I just got  lucky!  I have to say though, I love my Larrivee DV10e much more!!  The main difference in sound is the bass response between the two and the larrivee has a perfect even tone. AS "sevenup" said, Tak's are great for live stage playin.  Just my $.02 B)  
HangFire
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2004, 06:06:37 PM »

just this Sunday i got several compliments on my tone.....from people that don't even play guitar!  there is something truly magical about the Larrivee and the K&K pickup. 

there are some good Takamines out there.  but they are not even in the same league as Larrivee in my experience.

I'm so glad to hear this, I should be getting my L-03bw some time next week!  First thing I'm gonna do is install the K&K Pure Western... :D

2004 Larrivee Parlor BW
2003 Larrivee L-03 BW
2002 Larrivee D-03 BW x 2
sc morris

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2004, 11:09:49 PM »

I'm so glad to hear this, I should be getting my L-03bw some time next week!  First thing I'm gonna do is install the K&K Pure Western... :D
Believe me....you're going to love the sound of the K&K Pure Western.  What is your setup going to be like?  I don't use an amp, just go into my LR Baggs Gigpro, into a cheap DI box, then to the house PA.  Awesome sound! :)  

Groucho Marx

Fisherman

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2004, 05:16:34 PM »

As far as I can make out there are 3 levels of sponsorship with guitars here in the UK.

1.The top level is where you get a 100% deal where you get roughly 4 items a year (guitars, amps, picks(!)). This is for the top stars.

2. Then there is the 50% level where if you are a signed band or artist you get 50% off.

3. Then there is the third level where you can get about 30% off. This is if you are unsigned but you are gigging a massive amount and are trying to make it. Sometimes if you are willing to showcase then they will give you a 50% deal.

I  think most artists get paid for advertising guitars/products.

As for Takamines vs Larrivees- no contest unplugged but the pickups in Taks are excellent and take some beating.

Don't I know it all?!! :P  
SR

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2004, 02:11:49 AM »

That's interesting I did not know that. Fisherman See it's true you learn something new every day  :D  

Ratishna
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2004, 12:01:53 PM »

I always thought it was sorta strange that they got Leslie West to endorse, since he's known for big-ball electric guitar playing.  Hardly any acoustic anywhere in his catalog.

E. Shoaf
SR

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2004, 06:10:45 PM »

I just did a search for Leslie West and he's not listed in the artist section here's the curent list

http://www.takamine.com/?fa=artists

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: