Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Green (Card) New Deal  (Read 311 times)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« on: January 23, 2023, 04:13:10 PM »

After years of frustration and lots of money, I finally qualified for a Green Card and am finally a permanent resident of the USA. Please no one suggest that I should have gone to Mexico and walked in. That joke has gotten really old and that situation beyond ridiculous considering the process I was forced to go through. Anyway, here I am. 
unclrob
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 04:14:29 PM »

Welcome to the stupidity...

A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help
mike in lytle
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 04:26:23 PM »

After years of frustration and lots of money, I finally qualified for a Green Card and am finally a permanent resident of the USA. Please no one suggest that I should have gone to Mexico and walked in. That joke has gotten really old and that situation beyond ridiculous considering the process I was forced to go through. Anyway, here I am. 
Congratulations, brother, and welcome. We have been witness to your process and the difficulties you have had, and I am sure you did not share all of them.
Mike
Queequeg
Admin

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 05:40:33 PM »

Congratulations, brother, and welcome. We have been witness to your process and the difficulties you have had, and I am sure you did not share all of them.
Mike

bout time, duck.
Welcome!
I second all that mike in lytle said above.
StringPicker6

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2023, 08:21:09 PM »

Welcome to the USA!! Help yourself to some classified documents. 

Larrivee P-03
Larrivee LV-03R Vine Inlay Special
2020 Epiphone USA Texan
JOYCEfromNS
Admin

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2023, 10:21:06 PM »

So Duck what does this mean for you or any Canadian in a similar situation. I assume this allows you to live with your wife in the USA without fear of the US Gov shipping you back? Are there tax advantages/disadvantages? The latter I assume. Also, I assume you did not do it for employment purposes?

Larrivee Electrics - My Dream then and Now!!!!!<br /><br />Forum IV     00-03MT       #4      (Treasured)
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2023, 11:01:53 PM »

Congrats! Now you can enjoy the resentment of the world being flung at you like so many of us do. 

D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2023, 11:36:02 PM »

Thanks all. Yes, it means I can live with my wife and not return to Canada every six months for six months. That was frustrating and expensive. COVID didn't help any with crossing the border. As for advantages for a Canadian? Still finding out pros and cons. Everything's seems cheaper but then I have to factor in exchange rates and with the Canadian peso being worth a lot less that evens things out. Lower taxes, for sure. For instance, 5.5% sales tax in Wisconsin. 13% in Ontario. I pay for out of country health insurance through my pension plan and, fortunately, don't need to use it much. Helen's health problems are sufficient for both of us. My dog is very happy, it seems. Then there's the price of beer. Gotta like that! 

Where do I get these documents that you speak of? I've had a heck of a time so far with documents.   
broKen
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2023, 03:15:09 AM »

Happy for you Thomas. Have you enjoyed some southern hospitality yet?

A Hebrew, under the Spell
Pain is a good thing
teh
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2023, 11:25:45 AM »

Tom,

Congratulations on the successful outcome to a long, hard fought battle. This has to be a combination of both happiness and relief and there is probably a funny song in this story somewhere. I always enjoy reading your comments and your perspectives on this forum.

Riverbend
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2023, 11:38:57 AM »

Congratulations on the end of your ordeal!!!

Larrivee LS-03WL Forum VI Limited
Larrivee OM-40M
Larrivee O-01W
Martin 000-16
Washburn C80S
Espana Classical (made in Finland)
Eastman MD 504 Mandolin
Epiphone Olympic Solid Body Electric (1967)
Larrivee F-33 Mandolin (8/1/2008)
Soliver Pancake Mandolin
Larrivee A-33 (8/21/2009)
eded
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2023, 12:47:47 PM »

Good for you. For some of us it was our parents who had to go through that process, for others grandparents. Congrats.

Ed
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2023, 01:41:45 PM »

Good for you. For some of us it was our parents who had to go through that process, for others grandparents. Congrats.

Ed

Thanks. Yes. The funny thing is, my mother was born in Eau Claire Wisconsin and was still an American citizen when I was born but that did me no good whatsoever. 
Rockysdad

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2023, 06:18:35 PM »

Hmmm, I've been *a legal resident* for the past 22 years, it only took me about a year of jumping hoops and paying fees.
My wife is an American, only benefit, (if you want to call it that) to gaining US citizenship is being able to vote( ) and getting selected for jury duty.
Otherwise, I pay all the regular taxes and now get to pay for health insurance.

Herman.

L-10, L-03FM, OM-05
 Forum VI, & "others"
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2023, 08:52:09 PM »

Hmmm, I've been *a legal resident* for the past 22 years, it only took me about a year of jumping hoops and paying fees.
My wife is an American, only benefit, (if you want to call it that) to gaining US citizenship is being able to vote( ) and getting selected for jury duty.
Otherwise, I pay all the regular taxes and now get to pay for health insurance.

The intricacies of US immigration law are a mystery to me. The southern border doesn't seem to play by the same set of rules. AFAIC, the biggest lie in Canada is that health insurance is "free". And, whatever you do, don't ever try to tell .... certain Canadians that it might not be the 8th wonder of the world.  
Silence Dogood

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2023, 02:15:50 AM »

Congratulations, duck.  I wish you the very best. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: