Has the LSV-11 changed over time?

Started by Alexrkstr, January 22, 2023, 03:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I'm curious. The current stock from Heartbreaker has a regular scale with a pickguard.  That's not the traditional shorter scale without pickguard.  I'm also curious about the purfling, I may be wrong but I've seen LSV-11s with abalone purfling around the body and others without. 

I'm curious. The current stock from Heartbreaker has a regular scale with a pickguard.  That's not the traditional shorter scale without pickguard.  I'm also curious about the purfling, I may be wrong but I've seen LSV-11s with abalone purfling around the body and others without.

I let go of mine 12 years ago. It was without a pickguard and had an abalone rosette but the body edges were rosewood. Hope you get to try one out first cause for me the one I had was a frustratingly quiet guitar for it's size. The 1 13/16" width nut was a challenge at times also, particularly for those "C" shape chords.

You might be on the right track with the LSV size if the OO's are too "thin" sounding for you. During covid lockdown I managed to find an LSV-03 and LS-03 12 fret, neither of which I kept, but they were both nice guitars. The LS-03 Silver Oak was a special order two years ago via the Notable Guitar shop.
Larrivee OO-05 • Larrivee OOV-03 SS • Larrivee OO-44  • Taylor 322ce • Strat • Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/jpmist

I bought one! :)
Haven't had time to change strings and give the guitar a spa yet, but I'll report out shortly with an NGD thread.
I'm still contemplating a few other options to keep trying wood combinations and sizes!
Still curious about how this model has changed with time (scale, string spacing, appointments, and why it's no longer part of the lineup)

I wouldn't put any weight on pickguard or not...  I think a lot of Larrivee's are (or were at one time at least) sent with a pick guard in the case and shops can install them or not.  Unless I am remembering incorrectly, pick guard (either way, on or not) isn't specified on the Larrivee site.

Ed

You are correct that the original LSV-11 was short scale (24 3/4"). And it had the wider neck/nut - don't know if that has changed or not. It would make financial sense for Larrivee to just "standardize" the nut width to match their other models - maybe that's what they did.

I also remember them NOT having pickguards - but I think this was true of most "L" style Larrivees at the time...Larrivee kept adding pickguards to more and more guitars, and that's unfortunate; I (personally) never thought the L/C/LV models should have a MArtin style pickguard on them...it just ain't right, I tell you...

I also remember, when they first came out, that one or two that I played seemed pretty quiet as well. Maybe over time they would open up, but I was disappointed at the low volume. I was never tempted to order a lefty (and I've owned over a dozen different Larrivees over the years...but not an LSV-11).

Carry on...

2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

Hi Folks,

Yes, the LSV-11 evolved from the 24.75" scale and 1-13/16" nut width to 25.5" and 1-3/4" nut width. Not really an evolution if you ask me. It just ended up being an LSV-10. The model is currently no longer available. My brother and I are redesigning it to be more in line with the Matt Thomas fingerstyle model. I'll leave it at that for now. The move has put a lot of projects on the back burner for now. However, come this fall, things should be back on track.
- jr

Quote from: J M Larrivée on February 24, 2023, 02:01:06 PMHi Folks,

Yes, the LSV-11 evolved from the 24.75" scale and 1-13/16" nut width to 25.5" and 1-3/4" nut width. Not really an evolution if you ask me. It just ended up being an LSV-10. The model is currently no longer available. My brother and I are redesigning it to be more in line with the Matt Thomas fingerstyle model. I'll leave it at that for now. The move has put a lot of projects on the back burner for now. However, come this fall, things should be back on track.
- jr
:thumb

Hello, Thank you, John Jr. Larrivee, It is interesting; I did not know that the nut width and scale had changed.
I own two LSV-11 guitars, older ones and I love them better than my other guitars.
I was wondering if you know around what year the change was made?
Also, is the neck radius unchanged in later models?

I like the LSV-11 because the neck features make it easier to play and the guitar has a rich sound.
I actually use a very light pick for strumming the LSV-11, although I realize that was not what it had been advertised for.
I used to use dreadnoughts but needed something easier to play when performing in public.
The flatter neck, shorter scale and wide nut are really nicely suited for me and all these features together, one cannot find in a steel string. I like to fingerpick also but do so less frequently.
The LSV-11 is very even sounding also. I am using Elixer Nanoweb very light strings.
I really appreciate the complete guitar design. The LSV-11 is an extremely beautiful guitar also.
I am really nit-picky about guitars and I enjoy playing my original songs on each of my LSV-11 guitars. Thank you!