Larrivee LS guitars seem to rarely come up for sale

Started by jazzereh, November 19, 2022, 03:05:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Or, were very few of them made?    I really like my FVI.  And, I have an OM as well.

I have been browsing for sale sites but have rarely seen and LS listed for sale.  Maybe there are few of them?  Or are they so good no one want to sell? 

Does anyone have an approx idea how many LS guitars might have been built over the years?  I realize that the dimensions don't vary that significantly from OOO or even OO models but just that slight difference can be a delight to play.

Not a common model, you're right. Probably one of the largest runs of them was the Forum III guitar - I can't remember total numbers; someone else will have to jump in with that (I joined this forum right after those were completed, so I missed out on that one...)

Also - the Forum III was a 12-fret, like the Forum VI - regular production LS models are 14 frets to the body.
2021 C-03R TE left-handed
Larrivee owner since 1992

I was at Trinity Guitars several time throughout the Forum III build. Someone can correct me but my recollection is that there were 78 Forum III guitars ordered and they made an extra 10.

Quote from: jazzereh on November 19, 2022, 03:05:03 PM
Or, were very few of them made?    I really like my FVI.  And, I have an OM as well.
I have been browsing for sale sites but have rarely seen and LS listed for sale.  Maybe there are few of them?  Or are they so good no one want to sell? 
Does anyone have an approx idea how many LS guitars might have been built over the years?  I realize that the dimensions don't vary that significantly from OOO or even OO models but just that slight difference can be a delight to play.
The LS as a production guitar was WAY before my time as a Larrivee enthusiast.
Looking over old price lists I have, the LS (and CS) last appearing in 1998. Why? Don't know.
I think they have always been available thru special order after that.
There is still an LSV high end guitar available, not common, though.
I think LS guitars are great, even though about the size of an OM, they just look really cool, just special.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Having owned a few they are great guitars but the fit on my body was a very different feel,tone wad different too.I've owned a couple of LS10's.LV09.LV05.CS05 and anLS05.All great guitars.

Keepsmilin and keep dancin  :nanadance
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

There is a LS-05 listed for sale at the Guitar Center in Clearwater, https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Larrivee/LS-05-Acoustic-Guitar.gc

I have not seen or played the guitar and have affiliation, etc.

Quote from: mike in lytle on November 19, 2022, 08:00:42 PM
The LS as a production guitar was WAY before my time as a Larrivee enthusiast.
Looking over old price lists I have, the LS (and CS) last appearing in 1998. Why? Don't know.
I think they have always been available thru special order after that.
There is still an LSV high end guitar available, not common, though.
I think LS guitars are great, even though about the size of an OM, they just look really cool, just special.
Mike

So, LS models have not been made as a regular run since 1998?!  Guess that's part of the reason for the lack of sales.  That would mean that our FVI run was quite unique.  I do see an LSV once in a while but I don't like the cutaway style. 

Quote from: jazzereh on November 22, 2022, 09:23:55 AM
So, LS models have not been made as a regular run since 1998?!  Guess that's part of the reason for the lack of sales.  That would mean that our FVI run was quite unique.  I do see an LSV once in a while but I don't like the cutaway style. 
I am just assuming since the LS does not appear on price lists after 98, Larrivee doesn't produce them unless as a special run or custom.
When the F-III was first proposed, Danny was totally insistent on the LS body shape. The F-VI was originally thought of (by me) as a version 2 of the F-III, but we took it further. Glad we did.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

This week gives all of us a chance to think of things we have to be thankful for. The subject line of this thread caught my eye: "Larrivee LS guitars seem to rarely come up for sale." For me, the reason is simple: the LS body shape is really adaptable and shines for fingerpicking or fingerstyle playing. 

Over most of the the past two decades, I have been fortunate enough to acquire several nice guitars to mark special occasions/milestones occurring in my life. Three of those have been Larrivees including an LV03 in 2005 and an LSV03* in 2021.

*I seem to recall that someone suggested a custom Forum hat or T-shirt in early 2020 and Mike in Lytle suggested a Forum guitar instead and indeed led a small group of members to take it further. The end result was the Forum VI guitar which featured a Moonwood Spruce top, Walnut back and sides and the option of a Venetian cutaway and a choice of five different pickups for both right and left handed players.

In a perfect world, I would have added a slotted headstock and made the 12 fret neck a short scale but that would have pushed the cost up considerably. I added those features to my Martin custom 000 12 fret back in 2015 so the 12 fret long scale neck on the FVI turned out to be a welcome change.

Thanks Mike.