Review - 000-44R and OM-40R "fast neck"

Started by mike in lytle, November 11, 2022, 08:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I was at Guitar Tex a few days ago and checked out a couple guitars, the 000-44R and the OM-40R "fast neck".

The 000-44R is overall similar in size to the LS-03 (Forum III or VI) or an OM in the lap and sounded good, which is the best I can describe (typical Larrivee, which is good, period). Tough to judge volume, cause the store was busy. The Guitar Tex reverb ad said gloss top, but it is an all gloss guitar (I don't recall if the neck was gloss). The setup was typical new Larrivee, a bit high. Set up nicely, it would make a REALLY good player. The 12 fret layout is user-friendly. I have long arms, but the 12 fret part is something I have adjusted to. I also use 11-52 strings and factory Larrivees are 12-53 I think. I liked this guitar a LOT.

I also played the OM-40R fast neck, and yes, it is a fast neck, 1-11/16 and a tiny bit of wood taken off the neck body. It does feel thinner than the neck on the D models, and it also has 2-1/4 saddle string spacing, per published spec. I liked it. If I could get that neck on an OM-03, minus the vine inlay, I would probably buy it, even at dealer price. It is very nice. Reminds me a lot of the 1-23/32 neck on the 1998 C-05 I had.
(EDIT - I did not mention the fast neck guitars also have the vine inlay on the headstock, which tho very nice, only adds to the overall cost of the guitar)

Now, I had not heard of this "fast neck" thing until it showed up on the Guitar Tex reverb site. But there are a few on reverb, and some reviews, which seem to be based on similar wording. It is an offering thru dealers. On reverb I also found it on an L-03 mahogany, but no other models.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

Great review,I'm kida on the fence still with the newer bracing.
A REPAIRPERSON,Barefoot Rob gone to a better place
OM03PA.98 L10 Koa
Favorite saying
 OB LA DE OB LA DA,LIFE GOES ON---BRA,It is what it is,You just gotta deal it,
One By One The Penguins Steal My Sanity, Keith and Barefoot Rob on youtube
Still unclrob
12 people ignoring me,so cool
rpjguitarworks
Call PM me I may be able to help

Nice review Mike, you may have missed your calling: professional guitar reviewer. These descriptions will be helpful to anyone who is interested in a 000 or OM body, especially in the 40 series.

My first introduction to Larrivee occurred in 2004 when I had five parlor guitars to compare at Trinity Guitars: two mahogany, two rosewood and one special edition maple parlor, all with a satin finish. In late 2005, I put in a custom order for a 12 string with a Venetian cutaway and all mahogany (LV03). 16 years later, I took advantage of the opportunity to participate in the Forum VI project. The end result is three different guitars w/ three different wood combos (spruce/maple, all mahogany and moonwood/walnut).

I think I may have one more new guitar in my future and I am leaning toward a 0040 with a mahogany top. This review was helpful.

Quote from: unclrob on November 11, 2022, 09:55:45 PM
Great review,I'm kida on the fence still with the newer bracing.

Why on the fence?
In YouTube clips the extra bass seems evident however having played a few, I have to say the original Larrivee bracing just has a sound that appeals to me more.
I also prefer the original Larrivee headstock. I don't want a Martin clone - I want a Larrivee!

I love my OM-02 so much that I decided to get a souped up version.
It was going to be either an OM40 or an OM05.
I went for the OM05 as to me, that's Larrivee. Should get it tomorrow...

Now I'm GASsing for a parlour!!
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

Quote from: guitarman001 on November 22, 2022, 09:59:15 AM
Why on the fence?
In YouTube clips the extra bass seems evident however having played a few, I have to say the original Larrivee bracing just has a sound that appeals to me more.
I also prefer the original Larrivee headstock. I don't want a Martin clone - I want a Larrivee!
I also like the original headstock.
My humble opinions on 40 series bracing has evolved. I think with OM's and L bodies, the effect is less with mahogany, but in RW accentuates too much bass.
On our F-VI (a 12 fret) we chose 40 series bracing after some discussion, because we had pics of the standard bracing on the F-III (12 fret), and it just didn't look right, plus some of the group had lot's more experience with 40 series than me. When John sent pics of the 40 bracing on our guitar tops, I admit I was knocked over. It was just so elegant compared to the F-III.
How much that bracing affects the tone of the F-VI, can't really say, cause the guitar is an LS, a 12 fret and moonwood/walnut in addition to the bracing, but I would go out on a limb and say as a "stealth feature" it's pretty cool.
Mike
Larrivee OM-03, OM-03 laurel, OM-50, L-03 laurel, LSV-03 walnut (Forum VI)

This a really beautiful model!  I love the herringbone, and I really like the squared-off headstock for some reason (I could do without the vine inlay, but it wouldn't be a deal-breaker - my tastes just happen to run a bit simpler).  The whole "fast neck" thing is intriguing as well.  This is a feature, I must confess, that I've never considered in an acoustic guitar before.  What will Larrivee think of next?
:thumbsup