Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Guitar weight  (Read 115 times)
William2

Ignore
« on: September 14, 2022, 09:40:51 PM »

Are guitars made of mahogany tone woods lighter in weight than guitars made of rosewood tone woods?
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2022, 04:15:01 AM »

Generally, but back and side thickness will vary so this doesn't always carry over between brands (my mahogany Collings dread is heavier than my rosewood Larrivee and Bourgeois dreads). It's not much and it's not enough to really play into purchase considerations.

D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
StringPicker6

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2022, 04:30:34 AM »

I’m not sure, but I can bench press my OM. 

Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-40R
Larrivee LV-03R Vine Special
Fender Vintera Road worn 50's telecaster
William2

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2022, 10:54:37 AM »

William2

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2022, 11:03:55 AM »

I’m not sure, but I can bench press my OM. 

I was asking, as I have two rosewood Larrivee's and an al mahogany Martin D-15. The Matin is 3.5# and the two Larrivee's are 4.3#. I am considering an affordable light weight dreadnought with a period sound like my former Waterloo Jumbo King but with an easier neck. I'm considering Iris or a Martin DSS-17. All these period guitars say light weight and I was wondering if that is why so many are made of mahogany. But the three I have now are keepers and maybe this won't happen.
William2

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2022, 02:41:06 PM »

I own two Larrivee dreadnoughts with rosewood back and sides. They each weigh 4.3#. Are the Larrivee dreadnoughts with mahogany back and sides lighter since mahogany is a lighter tone wood?
B0WIE
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2022, 09:42:15 PM »

Answered above. It's generally lighter but guitars aren't always produced to the exact same thicknesses, so it can vary.

D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.
nbs2005

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2022, 01:04:55 PM »

Related to weight; Robin Boucher talking about chasing that pre-war tone. See his comments around the 7 min mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIXqtw4RUTA&t=3s
William2

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2022, 07:27:02 PM »

Related to weight; Robin Boucher talking about chasing that pre-war tone. See his comments around the 7 min mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIXqtw4RUTA&t=3s

Thanks for posting this video. Robin actually starts discussing pre-war guitars as 2:50 minutes. He does mention the need two build his instruments lighter as one of the criteria. I personally prefer a light weight instrument. I wish builders would include this in their instrument specs. I am currently trying to decide on a last instrument and it may be a pre-war inspired design. I do miss my Waterloo Jumbo King. I am considering a Martin DSS-17 or a Iris DF instrument. I'm kind of leaning toward the Martin. It is light weight, has a more traditional build, and based on the videos I have watched, has a more 30s type of sound. The Iris sounds great, but not that 30s sound, and has a modern non-traditional build.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: