Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A slightly embarassing example of a GAS problem (that may finally be cured!)  (Read 122 times)
nbs2005

Ignore
« on: June 21, 2022, 08:16:02 PM »

Hi all,

I posted this reply to a question about beginner bluegrass guitars on the AGF but wanted to share it here because it was a bit of an ah ha moment for me (and also a little self deprecating, which is right up my alley).

I was watching Bryan Sutton, Billy Strings, and Joe Newberry tear it up in a Doc Watson tribute on Friday (on YT, highly recommended) and thought about how I loved the guitars they were playing; a couple of old Martins and a J-45 style (Newberry was swapping between that and his banjo).

It got me thinking I need a Bluegrass guitar. But I like 12 fretters. OK, a 12 fret dread. But it sure would be nice to have access to the higher frets, so maybe a cutaway. Anyway I'm starting to consider a Martin custom shop 12 fret cutaway and thinking, damn, that's not going to be cheap. I hate to admit this but it took another 10-15 minutes for me to realize that I have a Larrivee SD-40 hanging on the wall and a C-03-TE as well. I've played in a song circle with both of those with up to 10 folks and no one has had any trouble hearing me (no banjos, yet ;-)).

The point being it's really easy, almost to easy, to convince yourself you need something else. Now far be it from me to talk anyone out of buying a guitar; buying guitars is one of life's great pleasures. But I have come to the recent conclusion that I don't need any more guitars any time soon. And maybe, just maybe, you don't need one either.

And when the banjo shows up, I'll just pull out the National resonator (again, hard for me to advise not buying a guitar).
StringPicker6

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2022, 02:27:36 AM »

I probably shouldn’t mention it since you already have some nice guitars, but Bucks County Folk Music Shop in Pennsylvania has a real nice Larrivee SD-40R bluegrass model for sale.     They also are the oldest Larrivee dealer in the US. 

Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-40R
Larrivee LV-03R Vine Special
Fender Vintera Road worn 50's telecaster
nbs2005

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2022, 01:10:28 PM »

That's a pretty SD40R. Glad mine is close enough in spec to that!
Mikeymac
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2022, 04:18:50 PM »

They also are the oldest Larrivee dealer in the US. 

When (what year) did they start stocking/selling Larrivees?
StringPicker6

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2022, 11:21:01 PM »

No idea, but that’s what they told me when I bought my parlor there, and they also mention it on their website. It’s a wonderful little family owned shop.

Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-40R
JamesN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2022, 10:53:42 PM »

I grew up not far from Bucks County Folk Music Shop and did a fair amount of business with them way back when.

In 1984, I asked shop owner Karl Dietrerichs to special order an L-41 12-string for me. At the time, they didn’t stock any Larrivées.

Shortly thereafter they started carrying them and became a dealership.

I like to think that Karl was impressed enough with that guitar that it influenced his decision at least in some small part.
StringPicker6

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2022, 01:44:20 AM »

That’s a great story! I hope that store sticks around for a long time. 

Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-40R
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: