Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are Larrivee Guitars not more popular?  (Read 582 times)
ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2022, 01:26:35 AM »

Since some are telling us how long, I'm curious as to who has been playing Larrivees the longest. I know Kevin (headsup) has been playing them since before the flood and I obtained my first indirectly from him. So for me a used '75 in ... 1976.    

* soundhole sticker.jpg (113.08 KB, 800x600 - viewed 10 times.)
AZLiberty
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2022, 06:38:17 AM »

For Larrivee to go the way of Taylor/Gibson/Martin means a few more levels of management, marketing, sales reps, and doubling (or more) their factory capacity.

Taylor, Martin, and Gibson really shouldn't be lumped together in any way.  Gibson USA builds fewer acoustic guitars than Larrivee, or a few more, depending on the year.  They were building about 200 instruments a week when Ren was there, and that includes mandolins, which is actually around 25% of the business.

Gibson does sell quite lot of guitars, but the vast majority of them are made in China and say Epiphone on the headstock.

Martin is of course an over 200 year old enterprise, and Taylor is a marketing organization that just happens to sell guitars (not that I would mind owning a 362). 

ducktrapper
Donuts?

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2022, 01:02:59 PM »

Taylor is a marketing organization that just happens to sell guitars  

Now that's funny. 
StringPicker6

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2022, 05:59:52 PM »

For some reason I have never tried out or played a Taylor. But I do know a local music store near me that is offering a second baby Taylor for only $99 if you buy a Taylor.  Sounds like some kind of grocery store coupon offer. 

Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-40R
Larrivee LV-03R Vine Special
Fender Vintera Road worn 50's telecaster
CadillacBob

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2022, 04:43:58 AM »

I was one of those guys before, the one with a Martin hanging on my wall. I Live in Vancouver where they used to build Larrivee guitars and never really considered buying one. I walked into a local music store and picked up a used Larrivee to try out, within a week my Martin was sold and I had a 17 year old OM-03R which will be hanging on my wall for as long as I can play it.

Like most say as well when you walk into a music store there is a wall for each Gibson, Taylor and Martin. Larrivee maybe 3 or 4.

Shadow

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2022, 07:42:09 PM »

I was one of those guys before, the one with a Martin hanging on my wall. I Live in Vancouver where they used to build Larrivee guitars and never really considered buying one. I walked into a local music store and picked up a used Larrivee to try out, within a week my Martin was sold and I had a 17 year old OM-03R which will be hanging on my wall for as long as I can play it.

Like most say as well when you walk into a music store there is a wall for each Gibson, Taylor and Martin. Larrivee maybe 3 or 4.

Coincidentally I've just bought a 17 year old OM-03R. Never played or even seen a Larrivee before, they seem very rare in the UK, but was really impressed with a clip posted on line. I know you can't put any store by a recording but I was interested enough to track one down. The action was really high on both sides, 3mm, but after a visit to a local luthier it's now just below 2mm on the low E and 1.6mm on the high E, and plays like a dream for fingerstyle. Tonally I much prefer it to my Eastman E8OM-TC, not quite as rich in the bass but much better separation, less muddy (harsh description of the Eastman!). The Eastman is on its way out.

EDIT: to answer the OP's question, in the UK at least, in my experience there are very few stores that stock them so they just aren't visible.
Adam Ag 98

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2022, 12:09:49 AM »

It's all been convered, but to reiterate - marketing, coverage (availability), and history.

Before I considered playing my dad had pointed out that his friend Andy played a Martin. Andy was an old man in a blue grass band that my dad knew through the funeral business. He always talked about Andy's guitar, how Andy told him it was a dream come true to purchase it, etc. I was raised knowing 1 acoustic guitar brand that was mythical in its elevated quality compared to others.

I've never owned a Martin and I would be foolish to think or say I never will, I just haven't prioritized one over others in my stable. For my 10 year anniversary my wife was going to get me a D-28. She knew enough about guitars to knwo Martin was the s***, and it didn't take her long to find that the D-28 was the measuring stick by which all others were compared. A close friend pointed out to her that I was also a huge fan of his Music Man Axis, and one of them found a gorgeous Balboa Blue Burst quilted top on Reverb. She gave me a choice and w/out hesitation I said "I want the Axis". I already had my Larrivee and wanted to lean into my EVH spirit animal :) If she'd not said a word and bought me the Martin I would 100% love the hell out of it. Not only because my beautiful wife did it, but because I'd have a damn fine guitar that is justifiably on musician bucket lists worldwide. Every time I walk by my Axis, or strap it on and just run my hand up and down the neck, there's...movement.

I first learned of Larrivee from the Justin King "Phunkdified" video. Like many others I was shell shocked to see him play - I'd never heard a guitar played anything like what he was doing. I figured part of his secret sauce MUST be that Larr-whatcamacallit guitar :) The more I learned about them online the more I was convinced - that will be my first "bury me with it" acoustic. I could never ever be cremated - no way in hell I'm going to burn a guitar! Buy a bigger box and someday future civilazations will dig me up, see the guitar, and say "this guy....he was a certified bad--CENSORED-" ;)

Also I've always marched to the beat of my own drum for certain things. I like knowing that what I have is every bit as good as what you have, but mine is significantly more unique. I'm not a lemming. Not that having a Martin makes someone a lemming, but you know what I mean. My first "expensive" electric guitar was a Carvin. Aside from lusting over them since my first mail order catalog in the early 90's, I also knew that they weren't everyone else's Gibson, Fender, or Ibanez. When everyone else was buying white Ford F-150's with twin turbo charged V6 engines, I bought an technology dinosaur Tundra w/a good old V8. It was different - and I could supercharge it and I blow the F'ing doors off of every Ford, Chevy, and non-TRX Dodge on the road.

Yes - I don't have what every other commercial or ad shows. Yep I paid less for it. Nope, I'm not cheap - I'm damn smart with my money. Yep, my guitar and truck just blew your -CENSORED- off the stage and road :)
mike in lytle
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2022, 01:07:14 AM »

It's all been convered, but to reiterate - marketing, coverage (availability), and history.
Pretty sure you have us beat on the enthusiasm scale.
Mike
StringPicker6

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2022, 03:08:44 AM »

I loved my Martins when I had them, and I live about an hour from the factory.  But Martin seems to me like Mercedes Benz: everyone sees it as the high end status symbol, but then everyone is driving Mercedes that can afford one. I’d rather own a Lotus or something you don’t see every day. That’s why I love my larrivee, it’s like a secret and only the clever people know about it. 

Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-40R
Silence Dogood

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2022, 02:07:23 PM »

Before I considered playing my dad had pointed out that his friend Andy played a Martin. Andy was an old man in a blue grass band that my dad knew through the funeral business. He always talked about Andy's guitar, how Andy told him it was a dream come true to purchase it, etc. I was raised knowing 1 acoustic guitar brand that was mythical in its elevated quality compared to others.

I've never owned a Martin and I would be foolish to think or say I never will, I just haven't prioritized one over others in my stable. For my 10 year anniversary my wife was going to get me a D-28. She knew enough about guitars to knwo Martin was the s***, and it didn't take her long to find that the D-28 was the measuring stick by which all others were compared. A close friend pointed out to her that I was also a huge fan of his Music Man Axis, and one of them found a gorgeous Balboa Blue Burst quilted top on Reverb. She gave me a choice and w/out hesitation I said "I want the Axis". I already had my Larrivee and wanted to lean into my EVH spirit animal :) If she'd not said a word and bought me the Martin I would 100% love the hell out of it. Not only because my beautiful wife did it, but because I'd have a damn fine guitar that is justifiably on musician bucket lists worldwide. Every time I walk by my Axis, or strap it on and just run my hand up and down the neck, there's...movement.

I first learned of Larrivee from the Justin King "Phunkdified" video. Like many others I was shell shocked to see him play - I'd never heard a guitar played anything like what he was doing. I figured part of his secret sauce MUST be that Larr-whatcamacallit guitar :) The more I learned about them online the more I was convinced - that will be my first "bury me with it" acoustic. I could never ever be cremated - no way in hell I'm going to burn a guitar! Buy a bigger box and someday future civilazations will dig me up, see the guitar, and say "this guy....he was a certified bad--CENSORED-" ;)

Also I've always marched to the beat of my own drum for certain things. I like knowing that what I have is every bit as good as what you have, but mine is significantly more unique. I'm not a lemming. Not that having a Martin makes someone a lemming, but you know what I mean. My first "expensive" electric guitar was a Carvin. Aside from lusting over them since my first mail order catalog in the early 90's, I also knew that they weren't everyone else's Gibson, Fender, or Ibanez. When everyone else was buying white Ford F-150's with twin turbo charged V6 engines, I bought an technology dinosaur Tundra w/a good old V8. It was different - and I could supercharge it and I blow the F'ing doors off of every Ford, Chevy, and non-TRX Dodge on the road.

Yes - I don't have what every other commercial or ad shows. Yep I paid less for it. Nope, I'm not cheap - I'm damn smart with my money. Yep, my guitar and truck just blew your -CENSORED- off the stage and road :)
Great post.  We share some similar interests: EVH, Toyota, Carvin, oh... and Larrivee.  I bought a new electric guitar not long ago and came close to getting one of the Axis Sterling guitars.  I like the Music Man version a lot better (obviously) but knew I would only dabble in riffs now and then and couldn't justify a big-ticket purchase.  I ended up getting a Jackson, which, at this point, is a very road-less-taken guitar, at least in America.  It seems like all anyone plays is Fender and Gibson, or at least Fender- and Gibson-style guitars.  Talk about a lack of imagination, especially considering how many cool guitars are being produced today. 

I used to love getting the old Carvin catalog back in the late 90s/early 2000s.  I never bought a Carvin but used to play in an acoustic duo with a guy who owned one of their acoustic amps.  We would both plug into it and it sounded great - plenty of volume, too.  I did deck out a cheap Strat once back then with a Carvin pre-wired pickguard. 

I'd put myself in the "smart with my money" camp alongside you.  I don't mind paying for quality (I actually enjoy paying for quality), but I won't throw money away needlessly to compensate for some company's marketing budget.  Some of the big guitar makers come to mind here.  It's strange, I took the Martin tour a couple years ago, and while it was fun, I didn't leave there wanting a Martin.  I respect the company and its history, and I genuinely admire the process and how they have refined it, but I still prefer Larrivee.  Oddly enough, though, I toured the Collings factory once and it made me REALLY want a Collings (I have a Collings mandolin now). 

PS: I love my Toyota Tacoma. 
carruth
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2022, 11:57:58 PM »

There are three rule as regards selling lots of guitars:
Marketing + Marketing + Marketing
However what people really want is quality, at a fair price.
My view is that Martin and Taylor have made an huge error having guitars made outside the USA on their behalves.
To survive and prosper, Larrivee has to keep making their great guitars themselves, using quality wood, and selling them at a fair price.

Larrivee:
P09
OM03
OMO3R
OMO5
LO2
LO3R
LO3W
LO3K
morlll

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2022, 11:28:57 PM »

I have an L09 from 2005. Before that I had and still have a Grammer. They Grammer is nice and was my only acoustic for a long tiime.

The first Larrivee I played was in the early to mid 70s. I was beautiful light and the nicest playing guitar. When I was on the road for work for a number of years I'd stop in at guitar stores and play everything. Gibson, Martin were nice but too pricey. I bought the L09 from Dave's in LaCrosse. It's the most comfortable and the nicest sounding I have played. I do have a Gibson ADJ for when I need loud. It's nice too.

Now the best sounding acoustic I have played was a 1927 00028 Martin 12 fret. It wasn't the nicest player. It wasn't bad either. The $40,000 set it out of range. The sound out of the guitar was beautiful.

I am not giving up my L09. If it were stolen I would get another. It's as good or better than anything out there.
StringPicker6

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Today at 03:12:43 AM »

I’ve had my LV-03R for two weeks now, and I’m loving it more and more. What a comfortable guitar!  I love the sound of this brand new guitar already, I can’t imagine what it will sound like when it’s older!   

Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-40R
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: