Extra light strings on OM-40

Started by musical123, May 14, 2022, 04:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I am having the hardest time properly fretting barre chords on the 1st few frets on my om-40 (I need to use herculean strength). Right now I am using 12 gauge strings and thinking of trying 11 or 10 guage.

Has anyone tried extra light strings on this model or have a similar issue?

Just my opinion, but I think those extra lights would sound less than great.  Before I'd go that route, I'd invest in a good setup.

Good luck!

Ed

If you are a newer player, you just need to give it time. Strength will build.
If you're an experienced player, I much prefer down tuning half a step over going with lighter strings. It allows you to keep some fullness to the tone. Thin strings sound... well, thin.

As Ed said, a set up goes a long way. Tension between guitars can be remarkably similar when the scale is equal. It's the set up that differs.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

I would have a tech check the not slot depth first.

A proper setup will involve setting the neck relief, adjusting the saddle height (if required) and the nut slot depth (again if required)

If it is stiff and hard to play for 1st position chords, the portion of the setup that needs the most attention is likely the nut.

Absolutely. Why not, it's your guitar? 

Just curious if others have a similar issue, or if the guitar can even tolerate extra light strings (could have sworn I heard somewhere that some guitars cant  handle extra heavy or extra light strings?)

The guitar is not just a stiff model. Don't think of it as an OM. It's the scale length and set up/action that dictates how stiff it feels. Not the model number or body size. So, someone else saying their OM40 is stiff would just be anecdotal and meaningless.

It will be fine with extra light strings, other than sounding bad. No offense but it seems you haven't given thought to the advice people have given you. Taking their advice will result in a great sounding and playing guitar. Using extra light strings won't.
D-09 Brazilian w/ Eagle inlay. D-02-12
Used to own and love; SD-50, J70 maple Mermaid, SD60sbt, D03R, LV03E.

HI,

I appreciate everyone's replies and do plan on bringing it to a pro for a set up, unfortunately that will be a few weeks away. 

Quote from: musical123 on May 16, 2022, 09:58:17 AM
HI,

I appreciate everyone's replies and do plan on bringing it to a pro for a set up, unfortunately that will be a few weeks away. 

Before you pay someone, just change the strings and see what you think. That's what I'd do.  :beer

Did you end up moving down a set?
Some guitars really do need heavier gauge.
My hands get fatigued playing 12s on a Larrivee, but not so much on maybe a larger jumbo, say.

--> I have used 11s on my OM02 for 20 years. It sounds fantastic and it is easy to play. A major win.
Larrivee OM-02
Larrivee P-03
Larrivee OM-03BH
Larrivee OM-05
Larrivee L-05

I've been using mediums on my Larrivee dread for almost 20 years but have recently went down to lights.  It was an out-of-character moment a while back, but I was in my local shop and for the heck of it picked up a set of John Pearse lights PB.  I figured they would be way too light, but when I got them on my guitar I was pleasantly surprised.  I was also surprised at how nice they felt and sounded (I also tune down a whole step).   I think I've found a new favorite, at least for a while, since I don't think I could ever play the same string for all of life.  It's just too much fun trying out new ones. 

All said, extra lights might sound great on the OPs guitar.  I don't think they would work for a very aggressive style, but for around-the-house picking, they'd probably work fine.